Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #136 of 161
Quote:
Here's my review: http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/12/aiaiai-tma-1-review/

I would say that's pretty much spot on with my experience of them.

"If you’re looking for a warm, lush sound signature similar to the HD650 in a closed form factor ... then the TMA-1 might be the right ones for you. Their punch, texture, dynamics, and euphonic sound representation are really good. They might not be the right phones for people looking for the ultimate in clarity or neutrality, but they’re very good as a whole for many music genres."

Nailed it.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #137 of 161

Quote:
Quote:

"If you’re looking for a warm, lush sound signature similar to the HD650 in a closed form factor ... then the TMA-1 might be the right ones for you. Their punch, texture, dynamics, and euphonic sound representation are really good. They might not be the right phones for people looking for the ultimate in clarity or neutrality, but they’re very good as a whole for many music genres."

Nailed it.

Exactly what I was thinking EddieE, that review almost perfectly describes my feelings towards these phones, minus the HD650 comment, as I've never tried those.

The only think I don't like as much as the rest of the package (Sound Quality, Comfort, Build Quality) is Clamping Force. After wearing them for about 2 hours or more, they are visibly not clamping as much as they were when you first put them on. 

It's easily fixed by letting them rest on a desk or something for 15 minutes or so, or even just bending them back (Really flexible), but it is a bit worrying when I start out with the pads touching under the clamping force, and then later when I take the headphones off, they're about an inch or two apart.

Other than that, amazing review, spot on, and I'm glad I've found a portable older brother for my M50's. 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #138 of 161

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nailed it.

Exactly what I was thinking EddieE, that review almost perfectly describes my feelings towards these phones, minus the HD650 comment, as I've never tried those.

The only think I don't like as much as the rest of the package (Sound Quality, Comfort, Build Quality) is Clamping Force. After wearing them for about 2 hours or more, they are visibly not clamping as much as they were when you first put them on. 

It's easily fixed by letting them rest on a desk or something for 15 minutes or so, or even just bending them back (Really flexible), but it is a bit worrying when I start out with the pads touching under the clamping force, and then later when I take the headphones off, they're about an inch or two apart.

Other than that, amazing review, spot on, and I'm glad I've found a portable older brother for my M50's. 
happy_face1.gif

The clamping force was perfect for me.....!!!!  

maybe I got weird shape ears or head but if it was any tighter, I would be in big big trouble with the comfort police...

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #139 of 161
I meant, after more than 2 hours of wearing it, they are a bit looser when you take them off than before you put them on. The fit feels great on my head no matter what, they just don't clamp fully again after taking them off, they bend back into the proper shape by themselves in less than 10 minutes though, so no problem, they correct themselves.

I love these phones though, the design and flexibility really nails whats needed for DJ phones, it just needs a bit more clamping force for those who actually are DJ's. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #140 of 161
After many hours of listening I'm hearing the darkness and bass. I think my initial issue was right before I received them in the mail, I tested out some Dr. Dre Beats (I think they were battery powered?) so I could compare "muddy bass" to "punchy bass." I'm very new to the audio scene and much more naive when it comes to headphones, so I was used to that rumbly feeling. I also may have been listening at too loud of a volume where the bass starts to drop off long before the treble?

I do listen to a lot more electronica type music, so these are perfect for me and overall very happy with this purchase. They're also great companions to my Swan D1080MkIIs.

What straight cables are you guys using? This coiled cable keeps ripping at my arm hair!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #144 of 161
Firstly, is anyone else having errors accessing certain threads (i.e. this one) via Safari?  I certainly am.  Firefox, however, seems to be working fine.

Anyway, I was finally able to pick up my package from AiAiAi yesterday.  What was supposed to contain the straight cable and an extra set of semi-leather pads actually came with the synthetic pads.  I contacted AiAiAi via email and had an apology within a few hours and a statement saying that they will be shipping the proper pads.  They didn't, however, ask for the mis-shipped pads back.

That puts me in the unique position of having all three official pads for the TMA-1 in-house. (semi-leather, foam, and synthetic)  Being that this is the case, I'll try to dedicate some time (most likely Christmas day) to do a direct comparison of all three and update this thread with my results.  I wasn't planning to ever open the foams, but the chance to do an analysis between the three and, give what I think are the first impressions of the synthetic pads, is an interesting opportunity.

...I just wish I had more time to listen to these right now.  January (or possibly even February!) can't come soon enough!

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #145 of 161

Quote:
That puts me in the unique position of having all three official pads for the TMA-1 in-house. (semi-leather, foam, and synthetic)  Being that this is the case, I'll try to dedicate some time (most likely Christmas day) to do a direct comparison of all three and update this thread with my results.  I wasn't planning to ever open the foams, but the chance to do an analysis between the three and, give what I think are the first impressions of the synthetic pads, is an interesting opportunity.

I would very much appreciate that, thank you. I've been wondering if they would sound any different to the protein leather pads.

Hope AIAIAI caught the hint with the velours pads in my review, maybe they might add some to their lineup as well. :wink:

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #146 of 161
It does respond to EQ really well. Had I not known about this thread I might contemplate selling it or trading it because I never Eq'ed before, nonetheless it now sounds phenomenal. Thanks Curly!

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #147 of 161
Have been fence-sitting between M50's and... Something for a while. Never heard about these before, but this review made up my mind - plus the fact that for me they are actually cheaper than M50. It finally pays of being from Denmark 
tongue.gif

Looking forward to hearing them myself!

Thanks for the write-up.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #148 of 161
+100 for the Top Gear reference. Win.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #149 of 161
I've bought M50's now, recabled, so I can use them along side these. 

These are fine for me for a shorter trip somewhere, like a 2 hour plane ride or car trip, of even a hike. But, for longer than 2 hours, these start to hurt my head, I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I would love it some other TMA-1 owners could chime in with their thoughts.

The M50's never really hurt my head, so I would use them for longer listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back