Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album!
Mar 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #211 of 278
Wow- great tip! Hadn't heard of HDtracks before so I have now bought the high res Sampler (and two other albums to boot) - I am about to start testing some headphone amps to go with my DT880 600ohm and I was putting together a list of reference tracks albums - so these will be a welcome addition!

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #214 of 278
wait until you hear it on good speakers through a hi-rez music streamer like my new transporter! these files are worth it. I'm a late adopter/slow upgrader from two squeezeboxes (which I had for a few years) to the transporter, and I should have known better, earlier. :wink:

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #215 of 278
This Sunday I bought and downloaded the 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC version.
Not quite my taste of music (jazz, blues, classical, ..), but the quality seems to be top notch. So for that alone it was a great $6 investment.

Not to mention that we "all" have the same familiar recording to play when we compare gear, write reviews, or like.

Major thanks!
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #216 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Sunday I bought and downloaded the 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC version.

Why didn't you get the aiff version for your macpro?

just intrigued..

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #217 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait until you hear it on good speakers through a hi-rez music streamer like my new transporter! these files are worth it.

I use my Transporter with the SqueezeCenter interface, and I BNC out the conversion to one of 2 dacs that go up to 192 (using only the 96 or 88.2) on my speaker system, and it sounds damn good. Not as good as a SACD or DVD Audio due to the sampling rate, but certainly, much better than redbook. If you don't have outboard DACs that are better than the one in the Transporter, then the Transporter is still an upgrade using 24/96 output.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #218 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't you get the aiff version for your macpro?

just intrigued..

Smaller download size. Saving both mine and HDtracks bandwidth.
...and it makes not difference either way as the FLAC files transcode to ALAC.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #220 of 278
Great project, absolute bargain, great music, much fun.

I have always held that quality of sound start at the performer then the recording, then the equipment with priority to the way the signal travels. This recording just emphasizes how we put up with other inferior recordings because of our love for the music.

I was sad to find only half of my music is of this quality recording, happy this can change with hi rez recordings and very happy my gear performs to my satisfaction.

Kudos to Jude and David in this joint venture. May we please have MOA, MOA, MOA.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #221 of 278
Downloading as i type right now & all i can say is that got i have FIOS internet, heh.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #222 of 278
Just bought and am downloading the 24bits/96khz album. Sounds pretty good so far! At last we'll have some base-line for a comprehensive comparison of headphones with these tracks.

Kudos to Jude and David!

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #223 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downloading as i type right now & all i can say is that got i have FIOS internet, heh.

Time Warner cable gives me 22 MBPS under normal circumstances.
Try this site to check your FIOS speed: Speakeasy Speed Test

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #225 of 278
I ended up buying the 44.1/16 version so it would be compatible with more of my equipment. I think I should start doing some reviews or equipment comparisons using this album. I've always hesitated doing any formal comparison because I could never decide what music to use to start doing critical listening evaluations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back