Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky) Collaborate to Assemble A Headphone System Test Album!
Mar 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #181 of 278
Yes, I am using a iMac and and Macbook Pro. But I have a PC work laptop too, but these are .flac files, and they polluted my HiFiMAN, so I removed it. I even put it on the 2gig internal memory, but it spread each song all over the drive when you choose albums or artists.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #182 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah you should be able to convert to ALAC without loss, i think someone in this thread said with max you get no loss, and i think that XLD should be able to do it as well. but those are mac applications, but i assumed that if you were using itunes that you must be using a mac too
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't gotten MAX to work for 24/96 files but XLD works fine. Once it's in iTunes, tracks work like any other tracks as for as playlists. You can't transfer them to your ipod or iphone though. Also, if you're not using something like Amarra software, you'll have to manually change the MIDI output to 24/96 before you open iTunes. I know you can change MIDI while iTunes is open but people claim it works better to make changes while it's closed.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #183 of 278
oh thats good to hear about XLD, its my conversion/ripping software of choice
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gonna get these tracks, im just waiting for my jh-13's to get back from refit. My whole system just came together with the protector, because now i can finally use my DAC19Mk3, so this should be a good way to hear what the whole system is capable of
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #184 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried that but since iTunes doesn't play flac, it won't let me make a compilation or a playlist, or pull it into iTunes at all. Can I convert 24/96 flac to alac without any loss and then make a playlist?

I think that should work without any problem.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #185 of 278
Isn't there software to edit the metatags so you can fix that without converting it to iTunes?

In my case, I convert everything to ALAC because I use my Macbook for most of my 24/96 listening, and at least my iRiver with rockbox can play the ALAC fine, although it might be down-sampling it now that I think about it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #186 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be nice for users who bought 96/24 versions to have access to the 16/44.1 versions for free. The thought is this, people who have 96/24 systems will buy the 96/24 versions. However, to play back as a CD, people with the hi-res version are doing their own sample rate conversion. The act of doing so using different software and methods means people are not listening to the exact same thing anymore when it comes to 16/44.1 playback. There could be no dither, different dithering methods applied, etc etc. Especially difficult because the sample rates are not multiples of each other, the end result could be quite different depending on how you do the SRC.

However, if purchasers are allowed access to the 16/44.1 versions as well, then with one purchase we all have at least one version as a baseline we are comparing against.

This is a damn great idea.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #187 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that should work without any problem.
biggrin.gif

But if I convert them from 24/96 flac to 24/96 alac so I can make a playlist for the HiFiMAN, then I would have to reconvert them to flac again, to play on the 801.
There must be a simpler way. What program can I use to make a compilation of flac files, so I can out them on the HiFiMAN, without every song and every artist being scattered all over the Artist's menu?

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #188 of 278
This morning I, too, bought and downloaded the test album. I dragged the AIFF files onto iTunes and deleted the files from the download folder. All is fine. But now I don't have the PDF with the track information anymore. Now I don't know what the different tracks are supposed to test in a headphone. Could somebody upload only the PDF that comes with the test album? That would be most excellent.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #189 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if I convert them from 24/96 flac to 24/96 alac so I can make a playlist for the HiFiMAN, then I would have to reconvert them to flac again, to play on the 801.
There must be a simpler way. What program can I use to make a compilation of flac files, so I can out them on the HiFiMAN, without every song and every artist being scattered all over the Artist's menu?

Haha, i would say the easiest thing to do would be to make copies of the files, and then change the artists to one, like headfi/chesky or something, and put that copy on the 801. Yeah you might not have artist info then, but they would all be together
smily_headphones1.gif
seems like it might be the only way to get it to work on that DAP

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #190 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This morning I, too, bought and downloaded the test album. I dragged the AIFF files onto iTunes and deleted the files from the download folder. All is fine. But now I don't have the PDF with the track information anymore. Now I don't know what the different tracks are supposed to test in a headphone. Could somebody upload only the PDF that comes with the test album? That would be most excellent.

I have tried a few times to unsuccessfully attach the liner notes. Even if I .zip the PDF file it wont attach because it is too big.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #191 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could somebody upload only the PDF that comes with the test album? That would be most excellent.

PM me with you e-mail address and I'll host in on Sendspace for you.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #192 of 278
Hey it is only 6MB when "zipped" using RAR. PM me with e-mail and i will send it to you, any e-mail should take 6MB as an attachment.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #193 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirlukas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey it is only 6MB when "zipped" using RAR. PM me with e-mail and i will send it to you, any e-mail should take 6MB as an attachment.

Thanks, but I already got it from immtbiker.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #194 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried a few times to unsuccessfully attach the liner notes. Even if I .zip the PDF file it wont attach because it is too big.

You should be able to add pdf file to itunes library and then check for last added files by sorting date added. Then you can get info and edit all the metadata so it will be sorted with the rest of the album.

You can also add "what to test for" details in the comments section and then have comments displayed as a column. Just go to first page here for testing details. Copy and paste each one into comments.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #195 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to add pdf file to itunes library and then check for last added files by sorting date added. Then you can get info and edit all the metadata so it will be sorted with the rest of the album.

You can also add "what to test for" details in the comments section and then have comments displayed as a column. Just go to first page here for testing details. Copy and paste each one into comments.

I was trying to attach them in a post here, for Bengt77 to download the attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back