HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
Dec 3, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #106 of 298
No, I do not like a lot of base. The base is not as deep on the K701 with my portables or with the Audio GD C2C or even the Phoenix. The EF-5 drives this very well and lends a bit of warmth to the music while retaining the ability play notes clearly. I let two co-workers listen to the combo & I swear their jaws dropped.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #107 of 298
That's fantastic to know, since I'm getting the amp.. I started wondering about this pairing about two weeks ago since the 701/2s really are low impedance cans. Sounds very good.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #108 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Musiland Monitor 02 US DAC which handles 24-bit/192khz sound perfect via ASIO (which I believe the DAC in the EF2 doesn't handle). It also has a built-in amp which does a good job. The main reason for me to get an amp is to hear what a tube amp sounds like.

tubes sound smooth and bassier

I'd go LDI+ over the EF2

just make sure you swap out the opamp and throw some nice tubes on it.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #110 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got two tung-sol black glass 12au7's from England today. Now if they would just deliver the amp.....

I got mine yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #111 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

By all means let us know what you think.

And how long did it take to get your EF5? I was thinking mine would be here tomorrow (two weeks) but no updates on tracking info in a week.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #112 of 298
I've listened to the Tung-sol black glass for about 12h and I'm definitely enjoy it more then the stock one with my K701.

Right now I'm enjoying my EF5 with a Brimar 13D5 and I find it very promising.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #114 of 298
Quote:

By all means let us know what you think [about the Tung Sol].

I'm enjoying the stock tube so far, and I have the TS black glass, Mullard long plate, Mullard short plate, and Siemens ECC82 to try but I have been reluctant to change things when they are working so well.

Not only is the EF5 a good match for the HE-5 orthodynamic phones, but it is doing a better job with my HD800 than the EF2 tonight.

Quote:

And how long did it take to get your EF5? I was thinking mine would be here tomorrow (two weeks) but no updates on tracking info in a week.

It was released around the 8th and shipped around Monday the 16th, and got here Friday the 20th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the EF5 still utilize an opamp buffer like the EF1?

Yes, it uses an OP275 opamp like the EF1 in the output section. I have not tried my AD743 in a 2:1 adapter yet, because as I said above I am enjoying it in stock form too much.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #115 of 298
Quote:

Yes, it uses an OP275 opamp like the EF1 in the output section. I have not tried my AD743 in a 2:1 adapter yet, because as I said above I am enjoying it in stock form too much.

So what has changed in the EF5 from the EF1 regarding the amp section?

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #116 of 298
Quote:

So what has changed in the EF5 from the EF1 regarding the amp section?

Not a whole lot I suppose, but they said they improved the current delivery and capabilities, and the PSU is upgraded and very beefy now.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #117 of 298
Quote:

Not a whole lot I suppose, but they said they improved the current delivery and capabilities, and the PSU is upgraded and very beefy now.

They don't claim any such things on their website? Can you post a link to those claims of better current delivery and capabilities you speak of.

To me it just looks like an EF1 with a nicer case for a pwoer supply instead of a wall adapter.

Are there any internal pics of the power supply? Can you open it up and take a few pics ? Like to see what they did to 'beef' up the supply.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #118 of 298
Quote:

They don't claim any such things on their website? Can you post a link to those claims of better current delivery and capabilities you speak of.

To me it just looks like an EF1 with a nicer case for a pwoer supply instead of a wall adapter.

Are there any internal pics of the power supply? Can you open it up and take a few pics ? Like to see what they did to 'beef' up the supply.

Fang posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6148665-post8.html - this is what he said there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EF-5 improved sound quality and output current from EF1. Similar soundsignature, but better.

Sachu, did you edit your post before I replied? Weird. I can't take photos inside right now, maybe later.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #120 of 298
Head-Direct is in New York (or is it New Jersy?). Anyway, I ordered one of these and didn't know 'in-stock' meant 'in Hong Kong'. I've been waiting two weeks and all they can tell me is 'it's on the way to the U.S.'.

The tracking page was updated this morning to show my unit JUST LEFT THE 'SORTING CENTER IN CHINA' TODAY. TWO WEEKS THEIR SHIPPER SITS ON THIS THING? What on earth is going on here????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back