HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Dec 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #62 of 500
Didn't understand the question fully.

However, in my experience I've seen measurements of the same headphone from 3 different sources with 3 different measurements.  Therefor the only objective data that I got out of that was.  "SOME" measurements are not accurate.

So who's were right and who's was false?

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #63 of 500
Quote:

However, in my experience I've seen measurements of the same headphone from 3 different sources with 3 different measurements.  Therefor the only objective data that I got out of that was.  "SOME" measurements are not accurate.

That's because different measurement websites use different compensation curves (as obviously raw FR is very different from our perceived hearing, but these compensation curves are always guestimated). But then if you get used to the innate compensation curves then these measurements from different sources become much more similar.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #64 of 500
Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #65 of 500
woow !! it's been a long time since my last post ! really informative thread, nice LugBug1. btw, your avatar gives me the creeps haha

almost 3 months now and i feel like I'm getting my money worth it and believe me it is rare to feel that way in this hobby. Recently i had a chance to listen to the HE-500 which was the top of my list after the Audeze ( convinced a friend with a limited budget to buy it ), and i gotta say their sound is special, they have this sparkle in the treble but other than that you can tell their from the same tree. Despite the sparkle on the treble they're silky, of course not butter smooth like the Audeze but surprisingly smooth, and in general not a big difference. I just want to confirm one point my friend and I agreed to it and that is, with the LCD-2 being silky smooth they're at the same time sharper than the HE-500 ?! it's like ... what do you call it.. more resolving i don't know or maybe the more closed in (intimate) soundstage of the LCD2s gives you this feeling but it's definitely sharper and like more detailed even in the bass area. i didn't really have much time to analyze it but i hope someone have both or listened to both could clarify that. i drove them out of the topping D2 (160$).

and yes I'm considering the nuforce HDP(or HD) very seriously to upgrade from the D2, please anyone could say it's a great value. is there any amp\dac at this price 200$ to 350$ that can best the HD.

thank you very much

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #66 of 500
Have both the HE500 and LCD2 Rev2 run balanced through an Audio GD Phoenix and my winner is...
well,right now I prefer some Grado HF2!
confused_face_2.gif

But then,I don't care about graphs,measurements etc.....just my ears and brain!

What I can say is, that the Rev2 are superior to Rev1(which I have sold) and that the HE500 are not that easy to drive(as some think here).

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #68 of 500
Quote:
Have both the HE500 and LCD2 Rev2 run balanced through an Audio GD Phoenix and my winner is...
well,right now I prefer some Grado HF2!
confused_face_2.gif

But then,I don't care about graphs,measurements etc.....just my ears and brain!

What I can say is, that the Rev2 are superior to Rev1(which I have sold) and that the HE500 are not that easy to drive(as some think here).

Hmmm interesting!, i have some Grados GS1000 that aren't seeing much action since i got my PS1000, and i was thinking of selling the GS1000 and get either some LCD-2 or HE500, but after reading your post, i'm having second toughts

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #69 of 500
Quote:
woow !! it's been a long time since my last post ! really informative thread, nice LugBug1. btw, your avatar gives me the creeps haha

almost 3 months now and i feel like I'm getting my money worth it and believe me it is rare to feel that way in this hobby. Recently i had a chance to listen to the HE-500 which was the top of my list after the Audeze ( convinced a friend with a limited budget to buy it ), and i gotta say their sound is special, they have this sparkle in the treble but other than that you can tell their from the same tree. Despite the sparkle on the treble they're silky, of course not butter smooth like the Audeze but surprisingly smooth, and in general not a big difference. I just want to confirm one point my friend and I agreed to it and that is, with the LCD-2 being silky smooth they're at the same time sharper than the HE-500 ?! it's like ... what do you call it.. more resolving i don't know or maybe the more closed in (intimate) soundstage of the LCD2s gives you this feeling but it's definitely sharper and like more detailed even in the bass area. i didn't really have much time to analyze it but i hope someone have both or listened to both could clarify that. i drove them out of the topping D2 (160$).

and yes I'm considering the nuforce HDP(or HD) very seriously to upgrade from the D2, please anyone could say it's a great value. is there any amp\dac at this price 200$ to 350$ that can best the HD.

thank you very much

Thanks Medo good to see you back. Yeah for me too the LCD2's are sharper in mids and below. More resolving, may be because they are more efficient. Don't think the narrower soundstage would have anything to with it though, because that normally causes more congestion and thickness to the sound. I notice it in Jazz especially with complex dums and double bass, you never miss a nuance with the Audeze!  

Haven't heard the HDP, but they are very popular.  

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #70 of 500
Well its that time of year again... Wether you like Chrismas or not, the buggar is here haha!

I personally see it as an excuse to drink more Brandy.  And...I must say, it does seem to pair very well with the LCD2's! Warm and smooth with quite a kick!

Made for each other!

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #71 of 500
LCD-2 = Brandy = Good times

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #72 of 500
Quote:

Hmmm interesting!, i have some Grados GS1000 that aren't seeing much action since i got my PS1000, and i was thinking of selling the GS1000 and get either some LCD-2 or HE500, but after reading your post, i'm having second toughts

Hey I know you're in the Montreal area. You interested in LCD-3's? :p

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #74 of 500
This is how my HE-500's sound to me while powered by the SPL Auditor amplifier which if fed by an Audio-gd Reference 5.2 DAC (in contrast to the LCD2v2's).

Anathema (whole album) but if you need a song, listen to - Untouchable Part 1, at 2:55 in, the distorted guitar kicks in and sounds outright menacing.  Then at 5:10, what the hell is that sound on the left?

On Song 2, Untouchable Part 2 sounds superb with well balanced piano to vocal placement.  

The LCD2's, the vocals are pushed too forward, killing the ability to hear the piano clearly.  

Female vocals send me chills on the HE-500's and trail off so beautifully.  The music to space ratio is 50/50.  Breathtaking.  At 3:45 into the song...  The drums are clear and snappy.  But I can't 'feel' them.

Follow that up with, The Gathering of the Clouds (its song 3 on the B-side).  Lightening at the start, thrilling.  Acoustic guitar speed is precise like a needle.  This is a very taxing song of your gear.  You will either get separation or a wall of sound.  HiFi's CHEW through this song like its nothing.  Acoustic speed, double vocals, violins, piano, drums, female vocals.  It all comes in one, by one, by one.  Stunning layering.  This song is a masterpiece.

On the LCD2's, it sounds like a "wall-of-mess".  Hate to say it -- that's how I hear it.
This album has been my go to listen since it was purchased and I am very familiar with it. From my stock car stereo, to my gym mp3 player with senn buds to my headphone setup to a b&w speaker setup, that's how many different ways I've heard.

If you want chilling female vocals that involve some fantastic 'throat flubber' (???, hahha), move onto song 4.  YOUZA!

HE-500's are a clear winner when matched with an SPL Auditor and a Audio-gd ROC SA but I'll give a HUGE nod to the Auditor.  That is my amp of choice for precision and has become my favorite amp.  RAZER SHARP and yet musical (thanks to the Reference 5.2 maybe?).  The Audio-gd ROC SA is the "safer sound choice" and will be more likable by most as the sound is more inviting.  very middle ground.  The SPL will feed your ears precision.

Happy Listening.

P.S. This album is mastered beautifully and layered so perfectly.  A+++ (I'd like to get LFF's opinion of this album's mastering.  LFF, if you are reading, drop an opinion and let me know how it sounds on your ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back