HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,101 of 3,819
  My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say  Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.

I see. Well thanks for the advice. I thought that I could use the o2 as a preamp because I believe the OP used an amp as a preamp but maybe I misread.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,102 of 3,819
THE OP is using a Headphone amp that has Line out level to control the Emotiva mini-X A-100. That amp also has a DAC with gives a headphone jack on the front and Line Out on the back. It seems that the O2 has just input and headphone jack that I can see on the web.

Look like the OP is using a GD NFB-11.32 pre-amp and headphone amplifier by the first picture.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,103 of 3,819
most of amps have bulit in preamps - they are called integrated amps then (amp with volume knob simply or some digital regulation from remote for instance) and you don't need preamp at all

there are also dedicated power amps - with no volume knob, they put maximum output power to the output all the time, you have to have some regulation on the line level (input of the amp) to attenuate, this is when preamp goes (usually dac can have regulated output like audio-gd 10es2 for instance - preamp built in in dac - precisely after the dac analog section but in one box)

btw preamp can be passive so it only attenuates using resistors network so the range is from 0V to max V rms of analog section (let's say 2V) of the dac output or active like for instance in Schiit Lyr when it actively amplifies (up to 40V p-p directly from tube preamp section that the amp uses for its voltage gain before it goes to deeply class A biased output transistors in this case)

usually good preamp can also skip RLC cables limitations and their negative effect on the sound (especially when long) because of some impedance tricks on the input/output but that's a bit more technical  :D

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #2,104 of 3,819
I originally snipped my He-500 cable so i could connect it directly to an A100, Would there be any harm in reattaching the end of the cable back on with electrical tape?

By the off chance is anybody selling a cheap'ish He-500 cable (stock) and willing to ship to the Uk? 

Seen a Lyr for sale over in the ads section, not sure whether to take the plunge.  :S.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,106 of 3,819
If i attempted the speaker tap option I would obviously insulate the solder points and exposed wire with heat-shrink tubing as well.
11.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,107 of 3,819
  I originally snipped my He-500 cable so i could connect it directly to an A100, Would there be any harm in reattaching the end of the cable back on with electrical tape?

By the off chance is anybody selling a cheap'ish He-500 cable (stock) and willing to ship to the Uk? 

Seen a Lyr for sale over in the ads section, not sure whether to take the plunge.  :S.

Rather purchase a 3.5mm Viablue or Cardas jack and ask somebody to solder the wires for you on again.

+1 Purchase a nice TRS or XLR plug (depending on what you're connecting to) and have someone re-terminate the cable.  I'd do it for ya, but I suspect shipping to and from the US may be quite expensive itself.  I'm sure you can find someone in UK who will help you out - maybe put up a classifieds ad?

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,109 of 3,819
  Now that is cool.

Do you have it wired so that it cuts output to the speakers when headphones are plugged in?

Nope,  I barely use my studio monitors these days.  I am thinking about selling them and get a pair of Zu.  Maybe, I will implement that auto shut-off by then.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2,110 of 3,819
  For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.

The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.

I don't know where you can buy an adapter.

For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.

Hey, I apologize if this question was asked and replied to before. 

Is it safe to use a TRS -> Banana Plug adapter with the Emotiva Mini-X-A100? For example, can I use a 1/4" female plug to banana plugs? I just wanted to make sure before I try.

Koiloco's solution looks great though. It definitely cuts out the adapter portion of the system.

Thanks,

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,111 of 3,819
  Hey, I apologize if this question was asked and replied to before. 

Is it safe to use a TRS -> Banana Plug adapter with the Emotiva Mini-X-A100? For example, can I use a 1/4" female plug to banana plugs? I just wanted to make sure before I try.

Koiloco's solution looks great though. It definitely cuts out the adapter portion of the system.

Thanks,

I asked this question earlier, and it seems like the answer is yes, it's fine. However, someone who actually uses this type of adapter will hopefully chime in. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,112 of 3,819
  I asked this question earlier, and it seems like the answer is yes, it's fine. However, someone who actually uses this type of adapter will hopefully chime in. 

Yes it is safe because the Emotiva mini-x has common ground.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,113 of 3,819
Yeah it's fine

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,114 of 3,819
I'm wondering if anyone here has had this problem or can answer this. I know Koiloco and Modulor have attempted to answer or solve the solution, but who knows, maybe someone here knows the problem already.

I've plugged my HE-500 into my Denon AVR-2808CI receiver through speaker taps using a 1/4" to banana plug adapter and for some reason EVERY time I go to use it the right channel is out. The only way to make it come back is to turn up the volume to un-listenable levels and then the right channel begins to slowly fade back in (this seems to apply to when I use speakers as well). It has to do with volume because if I turn down the volume on my ipod (working as a preamp I guess) then the problem isn't solved until it reaches that same un-listenable level of volume. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried different variations of having 1 or 2 grounds plugged in instead and the problem still remains.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,115 of 3,819
  Now that is cool.

Do you have it wired so that it cuts output to the speakers when headphones are plugged in?

I have seen some 1/4 jacks that will cut off the secondary outputs when the headphone is plugged in. Not a hard thing to do. I do not have any passive speakers at the moment to use. For me I still in the "savor the moment" period with my Emotiva mini-X A-100 trying out different sources with my headphone collection. I am trying out headphones with different impedance levels to see how well the Emotiva mini-X A-100 will handle that.  I am in the process of getting a 4-Pin XLR cable setup for my balanced headphones. Just taking my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back