HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #1,757 of 3,819
Quote:
The noise is nothing to worry about, really. Both my DAC and Stax amp has that noise, it is due to improper grounding or other noisy electronics in its proximity.

With the computer powered on the buzzing isn't really audible so i'll just try to ignore its there.  

Cheers.

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #1,758 of 3,819
Quote:

A silly suggestion but not simply that little fan is it  - doesn't sound like it? If not, have you tried using other power points around the house - still same noise. Otherwise all I could think of is a noisy transformer. Can't make it out too well even at max volume on PC but is it a buzzing sound?

Certainly not coming from the fan as it's not even spinning :) 

I've moved the Emotiva downstairs and the noise is still present. The only way I can describe it is it's very similar to the noise you sometimes hear from the rear of a plasma tv, definitely a buzzing sound.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,759 of 3,819
Quote:
Certainly not coming from the fan as it's not even spinning :) 

I've moved the Emotiva downstairs and the noise is still present. The only way I can describe it is it's very similar to the noise you sometimes hear from the rear of a plasma tv, definitely a buzzing sound.  

Probabl
y the most important aspect of a headphone amp is no noise,  it is adding severe IMD and degredation to the sound even if you think it is masks by the volume of the music.  Perfect example of why headphone amps have regulated power supplies and are only suitable for the least sensitive cans made and I can only think of two (HE6 AKGk1k.)

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,760 of 3,819
Guys the buzzing is leaking into my headphones, I've only just realised how loud it is since turning my pc off. One big huuuuum sound. This is without the rca input cable plugged in, just the amp and headphones. I've contacted the retailer and explained the issue, they said they will take a look.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,761 of 3,819
Guys the buzzing is leaking into my headphones, I've only just realised how loud it is since turning my pc off. One big huuuuum sound. This is without the rca input cable plugged in, just the amp and headphones. I've contacted the retailer and explained the issue, they said they will take a look.

Yes, I've successfully planted the idea into all your heads now! :wink:

Please keep us updated on what the retailer says.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,762 of 3,819
My mini-X does have a very low audible noise floor with the HE-500 when it's not connected to the source.  I think this is normal because of the high gain.  

It doesn't become noticeably more audible at max volume with no source but does become noticeably more audible with my source at about 2 o'clock and beyond.  I don't find that this effects my music experience.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,763 of 3,819
With mine, when nothing's connected to the amp other than headphones, at below 9pm its hissing and theres a low level hum with a slight buzzing noise. At 9oclock and above, with no equipment connected the buzzing sound increases within the headphones themselves. At 3oclock the buzzing is becoming very loud and starts to distort the he-500s. At full volume I can't even hear the hiss anymore as its just Bzzzzzzzzzz. With my pc plugged turned on and the fans spinning it does help drown the noise somewhat but not completely. What's interesting is when I cup my hands completely over the he-500 as to block the sound escaping, the buzzing within the headphones reduces and is barely audible but the hissing increases, if I remove my hands the buzzing returns. I've tested many times over and it's the same result. It's almost as if my hands are blocking the current somehow. One thing I'm sure of, it's related to the buzzing I'm hearing from the top vent of the amp itself.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,765 of 3,819
I just made an interesting observation! I switched out the stock power cable (very thick) with my PC PSU (400W) power cable and noticed hum would occur at much lower volumes. With the stock cable, I don't get hum until the 70-100 range, while the PC power cable only required ~20 on the volume level. The default white noise (hiss) I've been complaining about still occurs at super low volumes though.

I play with the cable management around my gear to make sure it's not interference. Plus I'll use an extension cord to other parts of my house to make sure it's not a ground loop.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,768 of 3,819
  Yes, the cable that came in the box with my amp.

Should I be upgrading power cables now?

Oh dear ... sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,770 of 3,819
  Cheaper than buying a new house.
tongue.gif

Or better yet, just run your amp off battery.  Now, that's hardcore!  
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back