HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,561 of 3,819
Quote:
Hi i want to use my Hifiman He-500's on the Emotiva Mini x a-100. I was wondering which cable what i need in order to connect it to the speaker amp? This is my current and only cable i have for my 500's

Get a banana plugs to 1/4" female adapter and connect it to your existing 1/4" cable. Or you can also get a banana plugs to 4 pin XLR female adapter if you get a 4 pin XLR balanced cable.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,563 of 3,819
Quote:

Get a banana plugs to 1/4" female adapter and connect it to your existing 1/4" cable. Or you can also get a banana plugs to 4 pin XLR female adapter if you get a 4 pin XLR balanced cable.

It's an adapter meaning that i can take it off and still use my cable normally when im done correct ? That's awesome, where can i purchase the Banna Plugs to 1/4 female adapter? I want to make sure I get the exact cable I need as i am very eager to listen to this ultimate setup this week.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,564 of 3,819
One of several options for custom cables: http://btg-audio.com/

He has made 6.3mm TRS jack -to- banana plug cables for several people here.

I started out using this contraption:

The parts total about $45 on Amazon, but I already had two of the components. Now, I'm using a cable that goes directly from banana plugs to the LCD-2 mini-XLR connectors.

Mike

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,565 of 3,819
Actaully, I think you should talk to Modulor. He has sleeved his own stock cable, and made some different adapters for it, banana plugs included. It looks quite neat.

Look here http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-proving-to-be-a-great-headphone-and-standing-the-test-of-time/6060#post_9597886

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,566 of 3,819
Quote:
I also ordered a Millenia MG3 to try with headphones and Jan sent me the resistor network schemas to build them myself. One schema for balanced headphones and another one for single ended:

Single ended:

Enjoy!

Quote:
You can do it the peasant way (my way). The one with 3 ohm resistor in series circuit is 8.4 ohm. If you tie a 10 ohm resistor to the 8 ohm binding post without a resistor in series, it's actually ~8.3333 ohm, not much different.

I finally got the resistor network working and I do not see that it works the same as the "peasant way" :)

In my case, the "peasant way" has no audible effect at all and the volume range is exactly the same as with no resistor attached while using the resistor network I clearly have a wider volume range.

Could it be that the resistors are not properly attached to the speaker terminals even when I see that they should be?

Cheers

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,567 of 3,819
The 'peasant way' should only increase the power usage, nothing else from what I can see.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,568 of 3,819
wrong thread!  :)

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,570 of 3,819
On a side note, a DAC by Emotiva: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/pro-series/products/stealth-dc-2

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,571 of 3,819
I finally got the resistor network working and I do not see that it works the same as the "peasant way" :)

In my case, the "peasant way" has no audible effect at all and the volume range is exactly the same as with no resistor attached while using the resistor network I clearly have a wider volume range.

Could it be that the resistors are not properly attached to the speaker terminals even when I see that they should be?

Cheers

Late reply, the "peasant" way is exactly that - having no audible effect on the sound while protecting the transformer output of a valve amp (they object rather strongly when presented with a 50 ohm load).

If you need more volume control, you'll need to use resistor in series (like the network/adapter box).

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,572 of 3,819
The 'peasant way' should only increase the power usage, nothing else from what I can see.

Quote:
Late reply, the "peasant" way is exactly that - having no audible effect on the sound while protecting the transformer output of a valve amp (they object rather strongly when presented with a 50 ohm load).

If you need more volume control, you'll need to use resistor in series (like the network/adapter box).

Thanks both for the reply

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,573 of 3,819
As promised, I have decided to keep the Emotiva so here it is with 1/4 plug.  No more banana plugs for now.  
size]

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,575 of 3,819
Quote:

Wow! I wouldn't have expected it to look so clean in front! Well done! I see some canare wire poking through :) Is it assembled yet? 

All done.  I am listening to it right now.  I used mogami W2534,  good wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back