HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
May 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,126 of 3,819
Brio-R was too aggressive on the volume knob for HE-6. Wouldn't use it for HE-500 myself.

Edit: ...according to a local head-fier.

May 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,127 of 3,819
Okay... As long as 9 o'clock matches my normal listening level I'm okay with it. Else I could get attenuators from my DAC to a potential amp. Might try it in a shop.

May 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,128 of 3,819
Quote:
Now I have got myself a cable terminated in speaker taps. Anything I should be aware of when getting a speaker amp? I heard something about the amp should have a common ground or something. I am especially thinking about buying the Rega Brio R. Please explain someone...

Sorry, what is amp having a "common ground"? I may use a HE 6 adaptor or 4 speaker wires connected to the amp and terminated with XLR. Thanks.

May 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,129 of 3,819
Quote:
Sorry, what is amp having a "common ground"? I may use a HE 6 adaptor or 4 speaker wires connected to the amp and terminated with XLR. Thanks.

Common ground is when both channels are connected to the same ground circuit. Some dial mono (internally bridged) amps have each channel connected to a different ground circuit. If you put a multimeter on the outputs the meter should show 0 or close to 0 resistance across the outputs.

May 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,130 of 3,819
Quote:
Common ground is when both channels are connected to the same ground circuit. Some dial mono (internally bridged) amps have each channel connected to a different ground circuit. If you put a multimeter on the outputs the meter should show 0 or close to 0 resistance across the outputs.

Thanks. Would it affect my situation if I use the emotiva mini amp with the HE6 and the adapter (4wires to amp and the other side XLR terminated?). What if I use HE6 adaptor box or 4 wires to amp with 1/4" headphone jack adaptor? Thanks.

May 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,131 of 3,819
Quote:
Thanks. Would it affect my situation if I use the emotiva mini amp with the HE6 and the adapter (4wires to amp and the other side XLR terminated?). What if I use HE6 adaptor box or 4 wires to amp with 1/4" headphone jack adaptor? Thanks.

I think I need a picture here, you have me confused a little.
biggrin.gif

There is a little more info here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/5565
and
http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-37?page=1
Here is what Chris Maritns has to say.

Chris Martens -- Fri, 12/03/2010 - 16:59
Hi donunus,
The HE-6 uses a two-piece cable assembly where there is a "Y-cable" that connects to the headphone earpieces and that terminates (at the "Y-junction") in an XLR connector. From there, you can plug in a variety of amp cables to connect to whatever amplifier you use.
The HE-6 ships with two amp cables, one for use with traditional headphone amps, and the other for use with full-size integrated amplifiers or power amps.
The traditional headphone amp connector cable provides a 1/4-inch phone jack on one end and an XLR connector on the other (which, of course, clicks into the provided Y-cable).
Alternatively, the power amp cable provides two pairs of color coded banana jack connectors on one end and an XLR connector on the other. Thus, you simply plug the banana jack connectors into the speaker taps of your full-size amp, cautiously turn up the volume, and enjoy.
To see a photo of the HE-6's standard cable sets, check out page 2 of the posted review. The power amp cable is pictured on the lower left of the image frame.
Best,
Chris Martens

May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,132 of 3,819
Thank you C Martens. I will carefully read the information you directed me to and see if it makes sense to me.

On another matter - is there any risk of damage to the Grace Design M903 if I were to use the HE6 with it? My emotiva mini amp isn't here yet so I thought I would try it out with the M903. Thanks.

May 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,133 of 3,819
Quote:

No, the warning is only for people using the 1/4 TRS (single-ended) to 4 banana/spade. If you tie the ground of an amp that doesn't share ground, let's just say bad things will happen. 

Quote:
Thank you C Martens. I will carefully read the information you directed me to and see if it makes sense to me.

On another matter - is there any risk of damage to the Grace Design M903 if I were to use the HE6 with it? My emotiva mini amp isn't here yet so I thought I would try it out with the M903. Thanks.

No risk.

May 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,134 of 3,819
Quote:

The Grace m903 gives you a few options.

1)  You can use the m903 as an all in one solution.  DAC\pre amp, volume control\Headphone amp.  I would not recommend it for the HE-6 though.  

2)  You can use the m903 as a dedicated DAC to the a-100 mini.  The mini already has a volume control - so i recommend using the volume control on the Emo.

3)  You can use the m903 as a DAC and pre amp, volume control with a power amp that does not have volume control.

Very good product that Grace m903 is

Hi, on option no. 2 you suggested using the m903 for volume control. I wrote to Grace Design and this is their response -

"You shouldn't have to make any specific changes to the m903's setup to
use it as a dedicated DAC. I would recommend that you set the volume on
the Emotiva to maximum (or max level before you can start to hear noise
floor) and use the m903's volume control.
Unbalanced connections are
fine as long as you aren't running very long cables." (Emphasis mine).

I am wondering which is better or does it matter? Of course GD may not be talking about the use of the headphone
with an amplifier though I did make that clear.

Another issue is this - can I connect another set of speaker cables to the binding post for the use of speakers besides the one for headphone use (one set using spades and the other banana plugs)? When I am using the headphone do I need to remove the set for speakers and vice versa? Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

May 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,135 of 3,819
Quote:
Another issue is this - can I connect another set of speaker cables to the binding post for the use of speakers besides the one for headphone use (one set using spades and the other banana plugs)? When I am using the headphone do I need to remove the set for speakers and vice versa? Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Grace seems to think that the M903 analog volume is better than the Emotiva volume control. Just try both to see which you prefer.

Theoretically you can use 2 speakers (he6 + speaker) with 1 amp. But it is not recommended. If you don't want to unplug, use a speaker switch box (don't turn both on at the same time) - something similar to this

May 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,137 of 3,819
Due to reading this thread and the desire to upgrade from my Magni, I decided to go with the Emotiva mini-X a-100. It sounds glorious.

For this comment, I have been using the HE-5LE using the Modi as my DAC.

From my impressions, it adds black space that the Magni just never showed. Awesome clarity, separation, and best of all is that I noticed no changes to the overall sound of the headphone to begin with! It didn't change the sound of the headphone, but merely improved every aspect of the headphone that was already there. 

I believe that's what lots of people want, is that the amp doesn't change the sound signature of a headphone but rather improves what it already has. Maybe I'm wrong there, but I know that's what I look for.

Another thing that it gave the HE-5LE is even better bass control. I assume it's due to being undriven from the Magni, but the HE-5LE's bass control was just unworldly to me on the Emotiva. Very impressive!

As for the upgrade from the Magni to the Emotiva goes, it isn't just a minor upgrade. You won't have to TRY to hear the difference. It's night and day.

If you have an orthodynamic headphone, don't hesitate to buy this amp. It's well worth every penny.

May 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,138 of 3,819
Due to reading this thread and the desire to upgrade from my Magni, I decided to go with the Emotiva mini-X a-100. It sounds glorious.

For this comment, I have been using the HE-5LE using the Modi as my DAC.

From my impressions, it adds black space that the Magni just never showed. Awesome clarity, separation, and best of all is that I noticed no changes to the overall sound of the headphone to begin with! It didn't change the sound of the headphone, but merely improved every aspect of the headphone that was already there. 

I believe that's what lots of people want, is that the amp doesn't change the sound signature of a headphone but rather improves what it already has. Maybe I'm wrong there, but I know that's what I look for.

Another thing that it gave the HE-5LE is even better bass control. I assume it's due to being undriven from the Magni, but the HE-5LE's bass control was just unworldly to me on the Emotiva. Very impressive!

As for the upgrade from the Magni to the Emotiva goes, it isn't just a minor upgrade. You won't have to TRY to hear the difference. It's night and day.

If you have an orthodynamic headphone, don't hesitate to buy this amp. It's well worth every penny.
Nah, you're foolin yourself. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back