HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
May 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,081 of 3,819
Gotcha.

I only had the Magni.  I thought they were stand ins for one another.  I guess I still need to get a hold of an O2. 

But naw - my amps now are much better than the Emo.  I did enjoy it very much when I owned it thou.

May 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,082 of 3,819
You can use the m903 as a dedicated DAC to the a-100 mini.  The mini already has a volume control -
so i recommend using the volume control on the Emo.

Appreciate your response. Very helpful.

Is it necessary to use a separate DAC (like the m903) or can I just use the a-100 mini by itself with the headphone.
Thanks.

May 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,083 of 3,819
Quote:
Gotcha.

I only had the Magni.  I thought they were stand ins for one another.  I guess I still need to get a hold of an O2. 

But naw - my amps now are much better than the Emo.  I did enjoy it very much when I owned it thou.

They pretty much are. The handful of in depth reviews peg them as very similar in sound and in SQ. 

May 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,085 of 3,819
Quote:
You can use the m903 as a dedicated DAC to the a-100 mini.  The mini already has a volume control -
so i recommend using the volume control on the Emo.

Appreciate your response. Very helpful.

Is it necessary to use a separate DAC (like the m903) or can I just use the a-100 mini by itself with the headphone.
Thanks.

the Emo does not have a DAC included.  So yes you would still need a DAC.

The a-100 / m903 should be a good combo.

May 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,086 of 3,819

Preproman/Khaine 1711* appreciate the advice. Another piece of advice needed. I am not sure whether to use my m903 with the Musical Fidelity (see below) or with the Emotiva. The MF is obviously more expensive being a well-known brand. Preproman,* you know the Emotiva pretty well though you may not have used the MF before. But based on your experience with hi-fi in general what would be your hunch as regards pairing the Grace Design with the MF. If you are willing to give your opinion it would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Musical Fidelity M1 Mono/Stereo Power Amplifier

Output
  1. Output Power: Stereo mode into 8 ohms, 65W; Stereo mode into 4 ohms, 130W; Mono mode into 8 ohms, 100W; Mono mode into 4 ohms, 200W
  2. Total harmonic distortion (20Hz to 20kHz): Stereo mode, <0.03%; Mono mode, <0.02%
  3. Frequency response (20Hz to 20kHz): Stereo mode, <0.5dB; Mono mode, <0.5dB
  4. Crosstalk: Stereo mode, 85dB; Mono mode, NA
  5. Signal-to-noise ratio ('A'- wtd): Stereo mode, >94dB; Mono mode, >100dB
General
  1. Power consumption: 350 watts maximum
  2. Dimensions: 8-2/3" wide, 4" high (including feet), 12-1/2" deep (including terminals)
  3. Weight: 8-2/3 lbs.

1. Compact power amplifier
  2. Top quality 'Class D' switch-mode power amplifier circuit
  3. Can be switched to monoblock mode (via rear panel switch)
  4. Generous universal voltage power supply circuit
  5. Excellent phase integrity, frequency response, signal-to-noise ratio, and stereo separation
  6. Will drive almost any loudspeaker with ease
  7. Ideal partner for Musical Fidelity M1, M3, and M6 series components
  8. Connections
    1. Line level input: 1 pair RCA, left and right
    2. Line level outputs: 1 pair RCA, left and right
    3. Speaker outputs: 2 pairs of binding posts
    4. Trigger input: 3.5mm (1⁄8”) mono jack ±4.5 to ±15V DC
    5. Trigger output: 3.5mm (1⁄8”) mono jack +12V DC

May 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,087 of 3,819
Quote:

Preproman/Khaine 1711* appreciate the advice. Another piece of advice needed. I am not sure whether to use my m903 with the Musical Fidelity (see below) or with the Emotiva. The MF is obviously more expensive being a well-known brand. Preproman,* you know the Emotiva pretty well though you may not have used the MF before. But based on your experience with hi-fi in general what would be your hunch as regards pairing the Grace Design with the MF. If you are willing to give your opinion it would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Low end MF stuff actually sounds kinda dry/bright. Don't get me wrong, I liked their Tri-vista amplifier, but the M1Dac and M1HPA were pretty bad.

If you got one in your house, no reason not to try it 
tongue_smile.gif
. Use your Dac as lineout feeding the preamp driving the power amp, and post result here =p

May 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,089 of 3,819
I don't have the unit. Just one of the options being contemplated. Interesting to note the opinion of the Musical Fidelity DAC and Amp. Was on my sight too for a separate set-up. I usually like MF but maybe you are right the lower end stuff may not be as good.

May 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,090 of 3,819
Is anyone that is handy able to make a little box like this for me? It doesn't seem that complicated but i know pretty much nothing about electronics.... something I will want to learn in the next couple years....

Quote:
I also ordered a Millenia MG3 to try with headphones and Jan sent me the resistor network schemas to build them myself. One schema for balanced headphones and another one for single ended:

Single ended:

Enjoy!

May 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,091 of 3,819
Quote:
Is anyone that is handy able to make a little box like this for me? It doesn't seem that complicated but i know pretty much nothing about electronics.... something I will want to learn in the next couple years....

I actually just ordered a bunch of parts for various projects, including those needed for this setup.  I can assemble it and test it on my Mini-X this weekend then post my results, but I would be willing to help 
cool.gif

May 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,093 of 3,819
Quote:

You can do it the peasant way (my way). The one with 3 ohm resistor in series circuit is 8.4 ohm. If you tie a 10 ohm resistor to the 8 ohm binding post without a resistor in series, it's actually ~8.3333 ohm, not much different.

+

The cable is aftermarket, but you can do the same to the stock cable.

This is for transformer coupled tube amp though. I feel that there's no need to use resistor on SS amps, if the gain is too high you can try line attenuator.

May 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #1,094 of 3,819
You can do it the peasant way (my way). The one with 3 ohm resistor in series circuit is 8.4 ohm. If you tie a 10 ohm resistor to the 8 ohm binding post without a resistor in series, it's actually ~8.3333 ohm, not much different.

+

The cable is aftermarket, but you can do the same to the stock cable.

This is for transformer coupled tube amp though. I feel that there's no need to use resistor on SS amps, if the gain is too high you can try line attenuator.

Wouldn't adding the resistors to the +/- binding posts essentially act the same/similar as an attenuator? What would be your recommendation to counter gain to reduce noise floor/low hum? Time for me to do some more research =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back