HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #872 of 3,819
Quote:

Right...  Using the HE-5LEs off your speaker amp taps, you get noise in the HE-5LEs? 

On certain vintage receivers I do, but it's likely the receiver needing a recap or transistor replacement to low noise equivalent.  I don't think the resistor cable will eliminate it for that reason, but may reduce it because that same noise, while present, isn't as loud with loudspeakers.  Of course my ear isn't right up against the speaker like it is with cans either.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #873 of 3,819
Hey MalVeauX,

How are your balanced Grados on the A-100 using the 500ohm resistor?

I'm fascinated by what you're doing with the A-100 and the 500ohm resistor. I really like the thought of using the A-100 as my sole headphone amp and using a 500ohm resistor for low impedance headphones - does it do the trick with Grados as well?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #876 of 3,819
Quote:
This is my guess - I was planning on using one on each positive line of my speaker tap adapter, or possibly an intermediate adapter between the taps and the main cables like Mal had made.

Could be a great endeavor to route the speaker taps to the front of the unit and toss in a 4 pin xlr / TRS in front?

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #877 of 3,819
It is wonderful idea to do that.
I imagined the same idea.
It involves making a hole on of the amp front panel.
If you do that many people can follow your way.:D

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #878 of 3,819
I know this has been answered, but there are so many posts that it would be unreasonable to search through them all to find my answer. Anyway, is it PERFECTLY okay to plug my 500's into the headphone jack? I won't be receiving my DAC for about a week or so....but the Mini-X will be here in (probably) 2 business days...and I'd really like to just use them right away. Yes, I know that some will say the quality is better from speaker taps but that's not what I'm asking about 
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #879 of 3,819
Quote:
It is wonderful idea to do that.
I imagined the same idea.
It involves making a hole on of the amp front panel.
If you do that many people can follow your way.
biggrin.gif

No no no.... I was the first one to buy the emotiva and try with HE-6. I was the guinea pig once. Someone else go :p

You could even make two separate connectors on the front. One with the resistors built in, and another without. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #880 of 3,819
Quote:
I know this has been answered, but there are so many posts that it would be unreasonable to search through them all to find my answer. Anyway, is it PERFECTLY okay to plug my 500's into the headphone jack? I won't be receiving my DAC for about a week or so....but the Mini-X will be here in (probably) 2 business days...and I'd really like to just use them right away. Yes, I know that some will say the quality is better from speaker taps but that's not what I'm asking about 
wink.gif

The headphone jack of what?

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #881 of 3,819
Quote:

No no no.... I was the first one to buy the emotiva and try with HE-6. I was the guinea pig once. Someone else go :p

You could even make two separate connectors on the front. One with the resistors built in, and another without. 

I can vouch for this..  I was waiting in the wings for the review..

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #882 of 3,819
Heya,

Some did seem a little more to my liking on the Emotiva than normal headphone amps. The HE500 for sure. The LCD2 for sure. The HE400/MadDog were a little better, but it's not quite as noticeable as with the more insensitive orthos. The Denon was different sounding, it was kind of eerie actually. And the DT770's sound stage was improved. But I can't say that it was performing better necessarily. All I can say at this point without measurements is that I liked the sound better. Mostly the big over-riding theme I'm finding is that separation and sound stages and the low end control and response has been better compared to the headphone amps. Probably a great portion of it all is mostly preference. But I'm pretty sure at least with the HE500/LCD2 that it's performing better, even at a technical level perhaps. The D5000/HE400/MadDog were all a little too sensitive for the Emotiva, so they were not performing better at first, the noise floor was there. But with my 500ohm adapter, that no longer was an issue and they're dead silent now.

On another note, my HE500 just took a trip to Brian to be re-modded. He's come up with a really great new Hifiman mod that he has been successful with. He's changing out those ridiculous screw-in hifiman inputs for flush mini-XLR (like on the LCD's) and re-terminating my balanced cable to suit it. Going to be so much more nicer for the long term.

Very best,

The resister in series with wire across which voltage drop is expected and signal is attenuated.
Then the resister can be sized almost half watt for headroom.
The quality of the resister is of less reactive, I think.

In this way normal speaker amps becomes headphone amp with 4-pin XLR female connector in front panel.

Consequently EMOTIVA has to have two 4-pin XLR with attenuators and without on front control panel?:D
Something like Yulong dac?

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #883 of 3,819
Quote:

Or better yet, one with a pair of switches. One switch to put the series resistors in, another for the parallel resistors. That way you'd be able to quickly flip between the configurations and see which sounds best.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #884 of 3,819
I had a uneducated question earlier lol here is a better question:

What's the easiest way to connect the 500's to the Mini-X until I get my female 1/4 -> banana plugs from Brian? I'm for connection under 30 bucks just to hold me over. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #885 of 3,819
Quote:
I had a uneducated question earlier lol here is a better question:

What's the easiest way to connect the 500's to the Mini-X until I get my female 1/4 -> banana plugs from Brian? I'm for connection under 30 bucks just to hold me over. 

See post 694 here and onward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back