HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #841 of 3,819
Quote:
Ah, it all makes alot more sense now!  I'm pretty much set on this amp, so that sounds like a must have for the headphones I'll be using. I was planning on crafting my own cables, so including resistors in line with a speaker tap adapter seems like it would be ideal and pretty straightforward - did Brian describe what type of resistor he used (power rating, etc.)?  I supposed I could contact him for info or to get a quote.  Thanks for the info!

Heya,

I actually showed him which resistor I wanted, a 500ohm basic resistor from Parts Express that costs literally $1.50 or something. I just paid extra to have it put onto a 4-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter so that I can put it inline with any of my balanced setups at will.

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #842 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

I actually showed him which resistor I wanted, a 500ohm basic resistor from Parts Express that costs literally $1.50 or something. I just paid extra to have it put onto a 4-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter so that I can put it inline with any of my balanced setups at will.

Very best,

Has anyone hooked up to this amp using a 1/4" connector? This could really be a sweet deal for some people to have if you had a 1/4" female --> resistor --> pigtail to speaker taps. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #843 of 3,819
Quote:

Has anyone hooked up to this amp using a 1/4" connector? This could really be a sweet deal for some people to have if you had a 1/4" female --> resistor --> pigtail to speaker taps. 

I have asked brian at goto to make such a cable for me. I'll be using my HE500's with [recently purchased] Moon Blue Dragon cable and a Niles 2 channel amp I have lying around.
I'll be using the Lyr as a preamp so don't think the resistor is necessary.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #844 of 3,819
Quote:
I have asked brian at goto to make such a cable for me. I'll be using my HE500's with [recently purchased] Moon Blue Dragon cable and a Niles 2 channel amp I have lying around.
I'll be using the Lyr as a preamp so don't think the resistor is necessary.

I'll definitely be awaiting your results on that. One result MalV had up there is that he got rid of the noise floor, which I don't think your preamp will remove.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #845 of 3,819
Quote:
That's comforting. Any recommendations on 3.5mm -> RCA? I'm not the kinda guy to say cables add significant sound quality or anything..just looking for very solid, well built (one set should last a lifetime...maybe 2 
wink.gif
)...high quality cables. 

http://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-6-Feet-Audio-Stereo-Plated/dp/B001VIYYCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361923054&sr=8-1&keywords=lgp+rca

I recommend this, highly. This is the only cable that I can say has a chance of lasting a lifetime. It's thick but can still flex. I use this with my Emotiva and Marantz. Very low noise floor compared to the standard RCA cables. Definitely sounds good, better blackground.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #846 of 3,819
Quote:

I'm sure it's coming. When I first approached Brian about making a banana plug adapter that would work with TRS female to plug any old headphone into it, he was very hesitant to do it without a big warning that you better know the amp well and know that it must have a shared ground or it could be a disaster otherwise. That got me thinking more along the lines of going universal instead of saving a buck and getting something that sticks you in a niche. Going balanced will work with balanced and unbalanced. The TRS adapter will only work on an amp with a shared ground. Heavily, heavily limits which amps you can plug that into. Seems not worth it to me, when I think of it like that.

Quote:

One result MalV had up there is that he got rid of the noise floor, which I don't think your preamp will remove.

I have no noise floor on my HE500/LCD2/DT770,600ohm without the resistor.
I do have a noise floor with the Denon D5000, Grado SR80, etc, and any headphone with low impedance and high sensitivity.
The resistor was the perfect mend for the high sensitivity headphone camp. It's not needed at all for the first three mentioned there.

I don't think a pre-amp will remove a noise floor. The speaker amp itself has high gain, since it's a speaker amp. And the Lyr actually has fairly high gain itself, as it can have a noise floor with some headphones that are high sensitivity too.

I use a LDMKIII as a pre-amp but only to control the line level to the speaker amp and primarily to add more tubes to the chain for personal preference. It doesn't help with noise floor on headphones with high sensitivity. The resistor does.

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #847 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

5W or 10W? or does it even matter?

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #848 of 3,819
Quote:
5W or 10W? or does it even matter?

Dunno if it matters; I'm not one to know, which is why I hire Brian. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I just pointed out a 500 watt resistor and asked "Can you put that on a cable with XLR terminations as an adapter?" And got it mailed to me as a finished product.

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #849 of 3,819
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-6-Feet-Audio-Stereo-Plated/dp/B001VIYYCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361923054&sr=8-1&keywords=lgp+rca

I recommend this, highly. This is the only cable that I can say has a chance of lasting a lifetime. It's thick but can still flex. I use this with my Emotiva and Marantz. Very low noise floor compared to the standard RCA cables. Definitely sounds good, better blackground.

Before I asked for recommendations, I ordered this. I already have a solid RCA -> RCA cable lined up here. Ideally, I'd like something of the same build quality as the RCA -> RCA. I feel like it's hard to find though! Maybe I'm not resourceful enough 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #850 of 3,819
Quote:

Dunno if it matters; I'm not one to know, which is why I hire Brian. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I just pointed out a 500 watt resistor and asked "Can you put that on a cable with XLR terminations as an adapter?" And got it mailed to me as a finished product.

Very best,

LOL makes sense. I thought you bought it and shipped it to him. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #851 of 3,819
Quote:
Before I asked for recommendations, I ordered this. I already have a solid RCA -> RCA cable lined up here. Ideally, I'd like something of the same build quality as the RCA -> RCA. I feel like it's hard to find though! Maybe I'm not resourceful enough 
rolleyes.gif

The company that I linked you to makes RCA-> 3.5  and RCA -> RCA. Well in the future if you're looking one, this is as good as it gets in durability. Even if you tried to break it, you'll probably fail.
biggrin.gif
....oh and they sound perfect.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #852 of 3,819
Quote:

The company that I linked you to makes RCA-> 3.5  and RCA -> RCA. Well in the future if you're looking one, this is as good as it gets in durability. Even if you tried to break it, you'll probably fail.
biggrin.gif

You mean Amamax? I went to their site and I couldn't really find what I was looking for lol can you find a 3.5mm to RCA and give me a link? 
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #853 of 3,819
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I have tons of these cables. They're inexpensive, big, bulky, perfect. They sound every bit as good as something that costs 10 times as much as far as I'm concerned (but I don't coat my stuff in snake oil).

Definitely recommended.

Very best,

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #854 of 3,819
Mal,

What headband do you have with the HE-500? Is it just the standard Beyer?
Also, I don't remember the Beyer headband being that wide, did you push in the original Hifiman padding?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #855 of 3,819
Quote:
Mal,

What headband do you have with the HE-500? Is it just the standard Beyer?
Also, I don't remember the Beyer headband being that wide, did you push in the original Hifiman padding?

Heya,

It's the generic one from amazon, like $14 shipped. It works great. I stretched it around the hifiman pad. I bent the leather around. I don't care because the hifiman headband is nothing to write prose about. It's like a grado headband. It's one thing that Audeze really nailed was the headband in my opinion. I don't understand why Hifiman released such a weak headband for such high end phones in their HE series that weigh as much as they do. And then not offer a premium headband replacement or something.

I'm currently looking for a leather worker to hire, so I can have a sweet padded leather band made with brass snaps.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back