HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #828 of 3,819
Quote:

That's the only way..

Right...
tongue.gif

About to order some sweet RCA -> RCA from Emotiva. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O37LGQ/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AYM0CQO5RSCIG

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #830 of 3,819
That's comforting. Any recommendations on 3.5mm -> RCA? I'm not the kinda guy to say cables add significant sound quality or anything..just looking for very solid, well built (one set should last a lifetime...maybe 2 
wink.gif
)...high quality cables. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #834 of 3,819
Quote:
Mal,

Have you tried your MadDogs with the Mini-X yet?

Heya,

Yea, but like the HE400, they're quite efficient, too low impedance with a high sensitivity for a speaker amp to me. But, with the 500ohm impedance adapter I had made, that's no problem, just like my D5000. The Mad Dog sounds fantastic on the Emotiva though. Much like the D5000, but more neutral, and with better mids and better low end control (separation, speed, sound stage are excellent).

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #835 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

Yea, but like the HE400, they're quite efficient, too low impedance with a high sensitivity for a speaker amp to me. But, with the 500ohm impedance adapter I had made, that's no problem, just like my D5000. The Mad Dog sounds fantastic on the Emotiva though. Much like the D5000, but more neutral, and with better mids and better low end control (separation, speed, sound stage are excellent).

Very best,

Would you say all these headphones you've tested with the Emotiva still perform in their relative order of performance levels on your pre-speaker-amp setups? Or did particular headphones jump up/down that ranking ladder with the speaker amp?

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #836 of 3,819
Quote:
Would you say all these headphones you've tested with the Emotiva still perform in their relative order of performance levels on your pre-speaker-amp setups? Or did particular headphones jump up/down that ranking ladder with the speaker amp?

Heya,

Some did seem a little more to my liking on the Emotiva than normal headphone amps. The HE500 for sure. The LCD2 for sure. The HE400/MadDog were a little better, but it's not quite as noticeable as with the more insensitive orthos. The Denon was different sounding, it was kind of eerie actually. And the DT770's sound stage was improved. But I can't say that it was performing better necessarily. All I can say at this point without measurements is that I liked the sound better. Mostly the big over-riding theme I'm finding is that separation and sound stages and the low end control and response has been better compared to the headphone amps. Probably a great portion of it all is mostly preference. But I'm pretty sure at least with the HE500/LCD2 that it's performing better, even at a technical level perhaps. The D5000/HE400/MadDog were all a little too sensitive for the Emotiva, so they were not performing better at first, the noise floor was there. But with my 500ohm adapter, that no longer was an issue and they're dead silent now.

On another note, my HE500 just took a trip to Brian to be re-modded. He's come up with a really great new Hifiman mod that he has been successful with. He's changing out those ridiculous screw-in hifiman inputs for flush mini-XLR (like on the LCD's) and re-terminating my balanced cable to suit it. Going to be so much more nicer for the long term.

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #837 of 3,819
I never found an LCD2 to be that much more insensitive than an HE-400.  If the HE-400 was at 9 o'clock on my Magni, then LCD2 was at 9:30.  If HE-400 was at 10 o'clock, then LCD2 was at 10:30, and so on so forth.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #838 of 3,819
Quote:
I never found an LCD2 to be that much more insensitive than an HE-400.  If the HE-400 was at 9 o'clock on my Magni, then LCD2 was at 9:30.  If HE-400 was at 10 o'clock, then LCD2 was at 10:30, and so on so forth.

Nor is HE500 (to HE400) really, in terms of sensitivity. There seems to be a larger gap in their power-handling abilities / scaling though.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #839 of 3,819
Quote:
Nor is HE500 (to HE400) really, in terms of sensitivity. There seems to be a larger gap in their power-handling abilities / scaling though.

There definitely is a difference with power handling. The sensitivities are probably at play. While they all (HE500/HE400/LCD2) can actually be listened to at listening volume on something as simple as a Fiio E10, they handle differently with volumes on a source that outputs 7~10 watts of current. And that's where I notice bigger differences on the HE500/LCD2 while remaining without noise floor.

Very best,

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #840 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

Ah, it all makes alot more sense now!  I'm pretty much set on this amp, so that sounds like a must have for the headphones I'll be using. I was planning on crafting my own cables, so including resistors in line with a speaker tap adapter seems like it would be ideal and pretty straightforward - did Brian describe what type of resistor he used (power rating, etc.)?  I supposed I could contact him for info or to get a quote.  Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back