HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #376 of 3,819
Zoom25,

Congratulations on getting your new amp!

I can't tell from reading this thread if anyone (not just you) has contacted Emotiva to ask if it's safe to short the speaker terminal grounds, but I'll stop worrying about other people's equipment.  

If and when I buy a speaker amp for use with single-ended headphones, I'll contact the amp's manufacturer myself before ordering cables that short the ground terminals.

The probability is high that the answer to the question would be "Yes, it's safe," so if you prefer, just go ahead and plug in the cables when they arrive and let us know what happens.  

Thanks!

Mike

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #377 of 3,819
Quote:
Zoom25,

Congratulations on getting your new amp!

I can't tell from reading this thread if anyone (not just you) has contacted Emotiva to ask if it's safe to short the speaker terminal grounds, but I'll stop worrying about other people's equipment.  

If and when I buy a speaker amp for use with single-ended headphones, I'll contact the amp's manufacturer myself before ordering cables that short the ground terminals.

The probability is high that the answer to the question would be "Yes, it's safe," so if you prefer, just go ahead and plug in the cables when they arrive and let us know what happens.  

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I have some time before the cables arrive, so I might call them up. I did some searching and found that it's probably best not to risk using single ended directly from speaker amps. I'll be using banana plugs to female 4-pin XLR adapter which connects into male 4-pin XLR cable for the HE-500. This shouldn't cause any troubles since the grounds are separate (right?). Going XLR based on what I've heard from others should be safe with speaker amps - do let me know if there's something I am missing here.

Also what if I use a balanced XLR cable for HE-500 and attach a female XLR to a 3.5 mm adapter for use with single ended headphone amplifiers like the E10. Any problems in this situations with the grounds, since it's kind of reversed from above? Thoughts anyone?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #378 of 3,819
Quote:

Hey by chance, can you take a picture of them? I would greatly appreciate it! 
biggrin.gif

Here is a quick close up of them. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

I have sent Simaudio an email asking about about connecting the headphones to the speaker terminals. Just waiting for a reply.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #380 of 3,819
Quote:
WOW,

Yes love the Simaudio stuff.  What amp are you talking about?

Mentioned it a few posts back... i5.3 integrated amp.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #381 of 3,819
Quote:
Also what if I use a balanced XLR cable for HE-500 and attach a female XLR to a 3.5 mm adapter for use with single ended headphone amplifiers like the E10. Any problems in this situations with the grounds, since it's kind of reversed from above? Thoughts anyone?

No problem. Ground is already shared on the amplifiers output.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #382 of 3,819
Hi Zoom25,

[snip]

I'll be using banana plugs to female 4-pin XLR adapter which connects into male 4-pin XLR cable for the HE-500. This shouldn't cause any troubles since the grounds are separate (right?). Going XLR based on what I've heard from others should be safe with speaker amps - do let me know if there's something I am missing here.

That's right - you'll be running balanced, so even if the Emotiva did not permit shorting of the ground terminals between left and right channels, you wouldn't be doing that, going by your description, above.

Quote:

There wouldn't be any problem with this, either, as all amps with single-ended output expect the grounds from each ear to be shared.  

Have fun!

Mike

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #383 of 3,819
Hi Anda,
Quote:
No problem. Ground is already shared on the amplifiers output.

For clarity's sake...  Which amplifier are you talking about?  (I can assume that you're talking about the amp in the subject header of this thread, but I'd rather not make that assumption.)

And... How do you know the ground is already shared on the amplifier about which you are speaking?

Thanks!

Mike

(Still waiting for a definitive answer without having to call Emotiva support, myself.  I'm not even planning on ordering this amp - just keenly curious...)

redface.gif

Mike

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #384 of 3,819
Thanks for the clarification guys 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #385 of 3,819
Quote:
Hi Anda,

For clarity's sake...  Which amplifier are you talking about?  (I can assume that you're talking about the amp in the subject header of this thread, but I'd rather not make that assumption.)

And... How do you know the ground is already shared on the amplifier about which you are speaking?

It was about using an XLR to 3.5mm jack adapter, so I was talking about singleended headamps. You said it yourself in a much clearer way. Don't know anything about the Emotiva :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #386 of 3,819
hey guys, going with a better Emotiva, like a UPA 200 or 500... would it be better than the a-100?
if so, why?

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #387 of 3,819
Man that led on the front of the mini-X is bright! I had my speakers hooked up to the tv in my basement the past week and I had to cover up the front of the amp, it was just too distracting. I wish I could open it up and clip the leads to the blue led without voiding the warranty :frowning2:

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #388 of 3,819
Quote:
hey guys, going with a better Emotiva, like a UPA 200 or 500... would it be better than the a-100?
if so, why?

We  just started talking about the emotiva around here, and only a few people have the a-100, almost no one has other versions, so I doubt anyone could give a good/clear answer. Emotiva has their own dedicated forum and they would be experts on this. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #389 of 3,819
.."hey guys, going with a better Emotiva, like a UPA 200 or 500... would it be better than the a-100?
if so, why?"

Over kill....

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #390 of 3,819
I can....

As I have the older UPA-1 mono blocks..  The mini X can't compare.  I was also looking forward to the XPA - 1L mono blocks that are not out yet.  Look them up on the Emo site like Erik said..

Pure Class A for the first 30 watts.  That means it will stay in Class A when the HE-xxxs are on them..  I think it's like 250 watt amp though - maybe to powerful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back