HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,761 of 3,819
  Mine is dispatched :) Wish to arrive before 20th of December to Georgia, Atlanta.

Although it was written to use FEDEX while orderind, they send it with UPS. I don't know how long does it take (UPS tracking number is not working yet, may be tomorrow it works)

Do u know, is it possible to arrive before 20th of December to Atlanta ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up tomorrow. They are only shipping them from Tennessee.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,762 of 3,819
  Mine is dispatched :) Wish to arrive before 20th of December to Georgia, Atlanta. 

Although it was written to use FEDEX while orderind, they send it with UPS. I don't know how long does it take (UPS tracking number is not working yet, may be tomorrow it works)

Do u know, is it possible to arrive before 20th of December to Atlanta ? 

UPS is typically 3-4 business days. Cutting it close, but it's possible.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,763 of 3,819

OK I stand corrected then, thanks for the historical info. However, I have heard more than a few people say the amp has hiss very early on, and that is an issue. I'm always on the lookout for fellow Head-Fi'ers, but I guess it's hard to knock the Mini-X for it's price/performance here. It's too bad the Mini-X doesn't have a gain switch, I'd bet that would really improve things for several people.

Another bit of history.  The mini-X was born in the HE-6 thread here on head fi.
biggrin.gif

Yup. FWIW, I experimented a lot with the HE-6 and the emotiva concerning DACs and preamps. My personal pick for transparent sound was having no preamp. I had a few DACs on hand, and found the Emotiva/HE-6 scaled very well with the DACs I had. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,764 of 3,819
Dont you worry about Damping factor with such a high impedance inline? (There is a general 1/8th rule in engineering) I could see this really messing up your bass.......

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,765 of 3,819
Apparently, some don't worry much.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,768 of 3,819
Actually a high impedence will give sort of less quantity bass compared to a low z but tighter bass reproduction.

Is that so? Why if I may ask?

And please help me out in the Stax thread by the way
redface.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #2,769 of 3,819
malveaux, Nice pigtail. are you running anything in that plug to balance to the load on the amp, in that big connector..?    or did you just plug it in..     just curious headphones are like 600Ohm  and speakers run more than 1 Watt..     how does that work..  ? 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,771 of 3,819

I would love to hear it if you do..  

Right now it's coming down to a MHDT unit or a TeraDak Chameleon. Hmm...
I still need to get a USB solution for my A/D converter so I can transfer my vinyl to DSD 
biggrin.gif
  God bless DIY!

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,772 of 3,819
  Dont you worry about Damping factor with such a high impedance inline? (There is a general 1/8th rule in engineering) I could see this really messing up your bass.......

Not sure if in reference to preamping. But I'm found this discussion on preamping and damping factor: http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/12302-simple-question-about-damping-factor.html

Even the Wikipedia article on Damping Factor talks solely on how the amp interacts with the speaker cone or diaphragm, and how well it controls the movement of it. It seems like the only problem with lower ratio of preamp output impedance to amp input impedance is how it affects the noise floor.

And if you're talking about amp to headphones, then you're absolutely right on damping factor being a concern, though I'm pretty sure the MiniX is designed to drive 4 ohm speakers, so the 38 ohm HE-500 shouldn't be an issue with damping factor.

As such I have no problems with bass after adding the Quickie to the chain, even though it's 2K ohms and the MiniX is 10K ohms. In fact, I found the bass to be more refined and better. The noise floor did drop from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock on the MiniX after adding the Quickie, but I never have it go past 9 o'clock, so it's not really a problem.

Also, I've been told the PJCCS upgrade on the Quickie raises the output impedance from 2K to 4K ohms. Probably not a good idea for pairing with the MiniX.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,773 of 3,819
He was thinking about in-line resistors

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,774 of 3,819
Not sure if in reference to preamping. But I'm found this discussion on preamping and damping factor: http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/12302-simple-question-about-damping-factor.html

Even the Wikipedia article on Damping Factor talks solely on how the amp interacts with the speaker cone or diaphragm, and how well it controls the movement of it. It seems like the only problem with lower ratio of preamp output impedance to amp input impedance is how it affects the noise floor.

And if you're talking about amp to headphones, then you're absolutely right on damping factor being a concern, though I'm pretty sure the MiniX is designed to drive 4 ohm speakers, so the 38 ohm HE-500 shouldn't be an issue with damping factor.

As such I have no problems with bass after adding the Quickie to the chain, even though it's 2K ohms and the MiniX is 10K ohms. In fact, I found the bass to be more refined and better. The noise floor did drop from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock on the MiniX after adding the Quickie, but I never have it go past 9 o'clock, so it's not really a problem.

Also, I've been told the PJCCS upgrade on the Quickie raises the output impedance from 2K to 4K ohms. Probably not a good idea for pairing with the MiniX.

The noise floor went up? Due to a battery preamp? Is this with the preamp at max volume?

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2,775 of 3,819
I've had my HE-500 + Emotiva for about a week and have <30 hours on both.  I'm using my SoundBlaster zx as a DAC going straight into the Emotiva.   I've noticed that the sound is much more crisp and clear coming from the amp, but the bass seems to be much less present than when plugged directly into the sound card.  I am wondering if maybe it is because of the connections I am using for the amp to HE-500 bridge?

I am using:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010D0HO0/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HJ5JPQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to accomplish that job as spending 100 bucks on a custom made adapter cable with nearly an estimated month arrival time seemed absurd.

Could this be due to the loss of bass I noticing going from directly in the soundcard to the Emotiva?

I h ave a Schiit Lyr on the way, and if the base sounds better while retaining the crisp clear sound stage of the Emotiva brings, I think I am going to just return this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back