HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,417 of 3,819
  for those of you using resistors in line from the mini X to your headphone,  do you find the resistor to alter your headphone's sound signature or degrade the sound quality in any way ?

As long as you use wirewound, then no.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,418 of 3,819
I received my Mini-X about a week ago.  This morning was the first that I had a chance to take it out and hook it up and give a listen.  This is only after minimal listening mind you, but wow!  I can't believe the sound for that price.  Comparing the Mini-X to my Soloist using the HE-500 is pretty close.  The differences to me are subtle, I would certainly have to do much more listening before I came to any solid conclusions.  But it does sound really good.   Initially it seems to me that the Mini-X may produce a tad more bass in the HE-500's.

My biggest surprise was the Fostex T50RP.  Has anyone else tried these with the Mini-X?  I got my T50RP's a while back and played around with modding them a bit.  I could never really get a bass out of them that I liked.  It was always a bit weak for me.  I plugged them into the Mini-X and I seem to have much more bass.  The Mini-X is definitely my favorite for the T50's.  Again this is only after about an hour of playing around with it.   Overall at this point I would say that it is a remarkable bargain.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2,419 of 3,819

I plugged some $20 IEMs into the Emotiva Mini-X with no resistors and they didn't blow up. So you're probably good, but I don't have any experience with that particular equipment. EDIT: you should also make sure the XPA-200 has common ground. I have no clue. 

You might want to get some resistors in there, or at least lower the digital volume in your music player. Just to increase the usable range of the volume control. Resistors will also help with the noise floor. 

I use The XPA 200 with both the HE 6 and LCD 2.2 absolutely beautiful and no problems with the volume except you want it basically off on your source or preamp to start with and go up gradually---

I am using both phones balanced

Jack

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,420 of 3,819

I use The XPA 200 with both the HE 6 and LCD 2.2 absolutely beautiful and no problems with the volume except you want it basically off on your source or preamp to start with and go up gradually---

I am using both phones balanced

Jack

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,421 of 3,819

My biggest surprise was the Fostex T50RP.  Has anyone else tried these with the Mini-X?  I got my T50RP's a while back and played around with modding them a bit.  I could never really get a bass out of them that I liked.  It was always a bit weak for me.  I plugged them into the Mini-X and I seem to have much more bass.  The Mini-X is definitely my favorite for the T50's.  Again this is only after about an hour of playing around with it.   Overall at this point I would say that it is a remarkable bargain.

I also have the the Fostex T50RP and for me the treble sounded a lot better than using my LD VI+ with this headphone. The upper mid-range and the treble just sounded more natural with the Mini-X. The bass was a bit stronger as well. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,422 of 3,819

I've been digging around in my desk for some old Apple earbuds I thought I had, specifically so I can try to fry them. It would please me :D

Report your findings. I couldn't fry them with my 1 watter and fiio e17, though I made the bass distort really, really bad.

I found them...

https://vimeo.com/80125357

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #2,423 of 3,819
what happen? When I try to play the video the screen then went dark.

P.S. I was installing FireFox for my browser and did not realized that a add-on firewall was blocking certain videos . I took care of that issue.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,425 of 3,819

What is the wirewound? Could you please be more specific?

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/res_1.html

Just skim through. There are a few types of resistors but wirewound are suppose to have the lowest noise.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2,426 of 3,819

I've been digging around in my desk for some old Apple earbuds I thought I had, specifically so I can try to fry them. It would please me :D

Report your findings. I couldn't fry them with my 1 watter and fiio e17, though I made the bass distort really, really bad.

I found them...

https://vimeo.com/80125357

Amazing!! They started shacking and died with a spark. You did the world a favor. Have a cookie

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,427 of 3,819
Upa-200 with HE-500. Could it possibly work without noise? 

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,428 of 3,819
  Upa-200 with HE-500. Could it possibly work without noise? 

Heya,

It could work, but you would need something like a resistor inline for that. 125 watts is just too much for the HE500. The HE500 is fairly efficient, relative to the HE-6. The UPA-200 is more inline with what people use with the HE-6 (upwards of seeing someone using 200 watt monoblocks... but that's just crazy, even though it works). 50 watts is already pushing it, with the HE500. It's just not that insensitive. 125 watts is going to leave you with very little volume control.

Very best,

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,429 of 3,819
I had a chance to try the LCD-2's with my XPA-200 recently and I liked how it sounded. I'll probably pick up a Mini-X when I get the chance.

Has anyone tried this setup with a vintage amp or a fancier modern amp?

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,430 of 3,819

Heya,

It could work, but you would need something like a resistor inline for that. 125 watts is just too much for the HE500. The HE500 is fairly efficient, relative to the HE-6. The UPA-200 is more inline with what people use with the HE-6 (upwards of seeing someone using 200 watt monoblocks... but that's just crazy, even though it works). 50 watts is already pushing it, with the HE500. It's just not that insensitive. 125 watts is going to leave you with very little volume control.

Very best,

I know.. But there's solutions for limited volume control without affecting SQ. I am more concerned about noise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back