HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jan 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #497 of 3,819
Quote:
Just received my Emotiva today. Great looking little amp and I was really surprised by its quality build and weight. Now all I need to do is actually make a decision on which headphones to get. I'm really torn between the HE-500, HE-5LE and the LCD-2. I would love to audition all three of them but it just isn't possible. For those of you that have heard all 3, which one would tame bright recordings the best? I'm just getting so sensitive to sibilance or harsh treble. My main listening preference is classic rock and I really like a fairly neutral sound. I also really like female vocalists so an accurate sound for those vocals is important to me. Oh, and I currently have the HD-650's which I truly love, but planars are the next obvious step. Looking for suggestions.

The LCD2 would probably be more up to your needs.

Very best,

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #498 of 3,819
Quote:
Hello folks, 

Long time lurker here. I just bought my he-500. Feels good to finally jump on the wagon after almost three months of researching. I'm a newbie in high end headphones so please excuse my newbie questions.

Zoom25 mentioned that it might be risky to use single ended directly from speaker amps. Why is that? Can I use the single ended input terminal to connect my computer or DAP? 

For the guys who own both O2 and Emotiva, which one do you prefer using with he-500?

Thanks,

dont forget the matrix mstage also! on gain 10db is capable to drive it perfectly in this pricerange...

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #499 of 3,819
Quote:
dont forget the matrix mstage also! on gain 10db is capable to drive it perfectly in this pricerange...

Heya,

A lot of solid state amps can provide close to 1 watt at 38ohms for something like the HE-500 to be considered technically fully driven, according to Dr. Fang. However, the whole point of all this is to look at alternative amplifiers than the typical headphone amps that are constantly floating around here to find something more fun and atypical for use with planar magnetics, and other headphones in general, that can tolerate higher potential outputs from amplifiers that are much more powerful and robust, like a speaker amp.

If all one is needing is the technical power output to drive the HE-500, the $99 Magni from Schiit is half the price of the Matrix, and cheaper than an O2, and outputs 1 watt at low impedance.

That said, I can't help but suggest, if you're getting into a flagship level ortho, maybe consider looking into more creative ways to drive them. I for one definitely feel and hear the difference from a different amplifier and much prefer the speaker amp route for example, over normal headphone amps. In other words, don't sell yourself short, if you're using a flagship, you're not what one would call terribly budget conscious.

Very best,

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #500 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

A lot of solid state amps can provide close to 1 watt at 38ohms for something like the HE-500 to be considered technically fully driven, according to Dr. Fang. However, the whole point of all this is to look at alternative amplifiers than the typical headphone amps that are constantly floating around here to find something more fun and atypical for use with planar magnetics, and other headphones in general, that can tolerate higher potential outputs from amplifiers that are much more powerful and robust, like a speaker amp.

If all one is needing is the technical power output to drive the HE-500, the $99 Magni from Schiit is half the price of the Matrix, and cheaper than an O2, and outputs 1 watt at low impedance.

That said, I can't help but suggest, if you're getting into a flagship level ortho, maybe consider looking into more creative ways to drive them. I for one definitely feel and hear the difference from a different amplifier and much prefer the speaker amp route for example, over normal headphone amps. In other words, don't sell yourself short, if you're using a flagship, you're not what one would call terribly budget conscious.

Very best,

in that sight in my opinion one of the best amps for the he500 is the 337 or his sibling the 339...they will give the he500 wings and they are still affordable! dont get ursefl short and try one..u will be hooked! no matter how expensive ur SS amp is u owe now! imho and my ears ofcourse
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #501 of 3,819
Quote:
Just received my Emotiva today. Great looking little amp and I was really surprised by its quality build and weight. Now all I need to do is actually make a decision on which headphones to get. I'm really torn between the HE-500, HE-5LE and the LCD-2. I would love to audition all three of them but it just isn't possible. For those of you that have heard all 3, which one would tame bright recordings the best? I'm just getting so sensitive to sibilance or harsh treble. My main listening preference is classic rock and I really like a fairly neutral sound. I also really like female vocalists so an accurate sound for those vocals is important to me. Oh, and I currently have the HD-650's which I truly love, but planars are the next obvious step. Looking for suggestions.

The LCD-s of course.  However, that little amp you have there is pretty aggressive and with lots of gain.  You wont get to much play on the volume knob with the LCDs, but I guess you can make it work for you and find your sweet spot..

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #502 of 3,819
Quote:

The LCD-s of course.  However, that little amp you have there is pretty aggressive and with lots of gain.  You wont get to much play on the volume knob with the LCDs, but I guess you can make it work for you and find your sweet spot..

I'll be coming from a PC thru an Arcam rDAC, then to a Little Dot MKIV SE as a preamp, so I have a lot of flexibility with the volume on the input side. Would this additional information change your suggestion? And, where would an HE-6 fall into the mix?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #503 of 3,819
The LCDs are one of the best headphones for people who have problems with treble energy or are sensitive to harsh treble.  Depending on your setup the HE-Xs can be a bit harsh at times.  So I wouldn't risk it if I was sensitive to harsh treble.  However, I do like the LCD-3 better than the LCD-2.2.  That's Just me.  

Thanks a great way to control your volume by the way.  Adding a bit of the tubes in the chain will help..

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #504 of 3,819
Quote:

Don't know about HE-5LE. Go for either LCD-2 or HE-500 with pleather pads. Won't run into any treble fatigue issues with either combo. The velours can be fatiguing though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #505 of 3,819
Quote:

Quote:

Don't know about HE-5LE. Go for either LCD-2 or HE-500 with pleather pads. Won't run into any treble fatigue issues with either combo. The velours can be fatiguing though.

Actually, if using a speaker amp like the miniX the 5LEs will respond better to all the power and current the miniX has to offer.    All three are great, by the way..

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #506 of 3,819
Quote:

Actually, if using a speaker amp like the miniX the 5LEs will respond better to all the power and current the miniX has to offer.    All three are great, by the way..

Quote:

Haha...you guys are a lot of help! So basically what you're saying is just buy all 3. Oh, and I can't forget the LCD-3.
Back to square one... 

confused_face.gif

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions and impressions. It's this type of information that I come here for.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #507 of 3,819
Quote:

Haha...you guys are a lot of help! So basically what you're saying is just buy all 3. Oh, and I can't forget the LCD-3.
Back to square one... 

confused_face.gif

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions and impressions. It's this type of information that I come here for.

I haven't listened to the HE-5 LE. If you are really worried about treble issues, then the LCD-2 is the safer bet. Although the HE-500 with pleather pads completely reduces fatigue. With pleather I can go for about 2 hours and then I take breaks to just ease up. With the pleather, you can go on for a long time. Regarding female vocals, both are excellent. The HE-500 has the more natural tone out of them. Although the female vocals on LCD-2 can seem a bit richer at times. Honestly, it depends on my mood on what I prefer at the moment. Both will do great with vocals. What genres of music do you listen to?

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #508 of 3,819
Most of my listening involves classic rock. My tastes are expanding lately though to include folk, the awesome cello of Yo-Yo Ma, violinists, and some asian traditional instruments.
Female vocalists I like are Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, Sarah McClachlan, Tori Amos....

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #509 of 3,819
Just pulled the trigger on some He-500's and I just happen to have a spare Mini-x, so I will be giving the combo a go. I believe from reading here the Mini-X is common ground, so no issues with wiring taps to a female 1/4th inch adapter correct? I mean if I have to build a 4 pin xlr cable I will, but it seems like a quick adapter for the stock cable would get the job done just fine. Has anyone tried a tube pre before the mini-x? I happen to have a HllY mkIII I'm gutting and actually putting quality caps into so it might be interesting to place it before the mini-x in my chain to give the cans a little more warmth, Thoughts? Either way extremely excited as this is my fist Ortho, and my first $$$ HP, I'm currently running a single piece mahog cup Magnum v4.

Should look like this.
Foobar2k to Essence ST to Hlly MKIII to Mini-X to HE500.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #510 of 3,819
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on some He-500's and I just happen to have a spare Mini-x, so I will be giving the combo a go. I believe from reading here the Mini-X is common ground, so no issues with wiring taps to a female 1/4th inch adapter correct? I mean if I have to build a 4 pin xlr cable I will, but it seems like a quick adapter for the stock cable would get the job done just fine. Has anyone tried a tube pre before the mini-x? I happen to have a HllY mkIII I'm gutting and actually putting quality caps into so it might be interesting to place it before the mini-x in my chain to give the cans a little more warmth, Thoughts? Either way extremely excited as this is my fist Ortho, and my first $$$ HP, I'm currently running a single piece mahog cup Magnum v4.

Should look like this.
Foobar2k to Essence ST to Hlly MKIII to Mini-X to HE500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back