HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,476 of 3,819
They've been consistent at 169. If they were to go down any further I'd be forced to buy them. That's why I asked...

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2,477 of 3,819
They've been consistent at 169. If they were to go down any further I'd be forced to buy them. That's why I asked...

Makes sense. Emotiva seems to usually just have long sales and all their sales usually have the same discounts, so I doubt they'll do anything crazy for black friday. It would be nice, though, since I'm in the market for one as well.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,478 of 3,819
^come on.  At $169 for such a great amp that drives the HE500 so well, it's already a super bargain. 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,480 of 3,819
Originally Posted by fluidz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question, does anybody find the sibilance of He-500's to be a bit fatiguing at times? I've resorted to using spitfish to tame some tracks as my ears simply can't handle Vocal Tzzz sounds. I wonder if it's my Mf M1 Dac, as there is a marginable difference in sibilance between optical and usb output, optical smoothens the sibilance but i loose the sparkle of Usb.  

Sibilance heard mostly in the 7.5KHz - 11kHz range and makes my shoulders shudder. Using Spitfish helps but I prefer not to use vst's to correct the sound and it's not a perfect solution as even with minimal effect applied cymbals can loose their reverb. 

Pretty sure MalVeaux was pairing his mini x with a tube dac right back at the start.  Could try that if you want a slightly warmer sound.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,481 of 3,819
  The HE-500 can fatigue me, though I don't find it sibilant.

I am the same as Davidsh.  HE500 can fatigue me after around 3, 4 hours straight cuz my eardrums feel the music too much though I don't listen at very high volume.
I think that a nice smooth DAC is the key if you find the Mini-X/HE500 sibilant.  I am saving up a few hundred $ to do the pre-amp upgrade for my Woo WA22 so I can put it between my DAC and the Mini-X.  I think this will be the end game combo/chain for me as far as DAC/Preamp/amp go.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,482 of 3,819
  Regarding the He-500 and Mini X.  If you can't hear the noise floor, cup your hands over the outer part of each cup on your headphones, you'll soon pick up white noise.  

I've owned two Mini X's, same with both.  Computer fans on and all, can hardly hear it, not a big problem so don't let it bother you like it did with me with at first. I even returned my Mini X thinking mine was faulty, having asked around and most people at this forum saying they can't hear anything yet I soon bought another which I found has a low noise floor (same strength). 

Being Mini X'less, I missed its awesome presentation, sheer power (you certainly feel it) and simply not being able to pair the he-500's with another amp for anywhere near its price.  

Question, does anybody find the sibilance of He-500's to be a bit fatiguing at times? I've resorted to using spitfish to tame some tracks as my ears simply can't handle Vocal Tzzz sounds. I wonder if it's my Mf M1 Dac, as there is a marginable difference in sibilance between optical and usb output, optical smoothens the sibilance but i loose the sparkle of Usb.  

Sibilance heard mostly in the 7.5KHz - 11kHz range and makes my shoulders shudder. Using Spitfish helps but I prefer not to use vst's to correct the sound and it's not a perfect solution as even with minimal effect applied cymbals can loose their reverb. 

I heard the noise floor with 2 separate mini-x's with both the he-500 and lcd-2.2 

I did find the he-500 to be fatiguing with certain tracks.  especially compared to the lcd-2  

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2,483 of 3,819
Just got my Switchcraft 1230. Building the converter was super easy, and I had a few extra banana plugs left. I have a 10-15 foot run right now from my speaker amp to my desk. Not the best, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything, plus it's only temporary. I use my remote to change volume and such.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'll most likely be getting a Mini-X soon.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,484 of 3,819
Ok just built everything needed to connect the HE-500's to the Emotiva and omg... eargasms guys. 
This is the perfect headphone system, just to add a good DAC and I'm done guis
Plus I might recable everything to silver when I have the time :D
Amazing stuff!

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,485 of 3,819
The Emotiva is just the tip of the iceberg guys. Unbelievable. I feel like throwing up cuz I'm experiencing something so surreal right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback/9645#post_10035084

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2,486 of 3,819
  Pretty sure MalVeaux was pairing his mini x with a tube dac right back at the start.  Could try that if you want a slightly warmer sound.

Heya,

I used a tube pre-amp and now just use a tube dac which utilizes a tube based pre-amp output stage that delivers the line level signal to the Emotiva. It adds warmth and it's very smooth and soothing. Not a treble monster at all. But not dull either.

Very best,

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,487 of 3,819

Heya,

I used a tube pre-amp and now just use a tube dac which utilizes a tube based pre-amp output stage that delivers the line level signal to the Emotiva. It adds warmth and it's very smooth and soothing. Not a treble monster at all. But not dull either.

Very best,

Tubemagic? How do you like it, and what do you think of the quality of the DAC stage?

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,488 of 3,819
Heya,

Very best,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

Follow this for a while, Sell your wa7, buy a mini x and have a good 500$ left over for the winner of this dac competition :-D

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,489 of 3,819
How would the emotiva fair with low impedance headphones. I am auditioning the jvc dx700 and am finding it to my liking so much that I am dissuaded from getting another planar. Some report the 7520 to sound good with it. I would be interested in impressions of the combination even though the dx700 is making me sell the 7520.

It may sound funny that I am asking with all three here but I currently don't have the emotiva set up to test it as I sold my lcd2.2 with the speaker taps. 

If it won't fair too well I will probably get another ortho to pair with it like a mad dog or an he400. I have already tried a modded t50, lcd2.2, and hd650 so I know this beast has to stay. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,490 of 3,819
  How would the emotiva fair with low impedance headphones. I am auditioning the jvc dx700 and am finding it to my liking so much that I am dissuaded from getting another planar. Some report the 7520 to sound good with it. I would be interested in impressions of the combination even though the dx700 is making me sell the 7520.

It may sound funny that I am asking with all three here but I currently don't have the emotiva set up to test it as I sold my lcd2.2 with the speaker taps. 

If it won't fair too well I will probably get another ortho to pair with it like a mad dog or an he400. I have already tried a modded t50, lcd2.2, and hd650 so I know this beast has to stay. 

You'll probably want to buy/make a resistor/adaptor box for it to work with low impedance phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back