HE-5..initial musings
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #1,621 of 1,668
This is a little OT but sort of fits in this thread.

I have a pair of T-1's which are 600 ohms, but a friendly, 600 ohms. I have been using my Luxman and Headroom desktop to drive them.

Yesterday I thought, "why not try the EF-5 with the T-1's".
It drives them effortlessly. Comfortable listening volume is between 9 and 10 o'clock.

You do not need an expensive amp with the Beyer T-1's. The EF-5 has good detail, excellent top and bottom extension and a nice headstage. It is not just for the HE-5's.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #1,622 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little OT but sort of fits in this thread.

I have a pair of T-1's which are 600 ohms, but a friendly, 600 ohms. I have been using my Luxman and Headroom desktop to drive them.

Yesterday I thought, "why not try the EF-5 with the T-1's".
It drives them effortlessly. Comfortable listening volume is between 9 and 10 o'clock.

You do not need an expensive amp with the Beyer T-1's. The EF-5 has good detail, excellent top and bottom extension and a nice headstage. It is not just for the HE-5's.

You probably saw this from a mile away...quick comparison of the T1 and HE-5?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,623 of 1,668
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the HE-5/EF-5 combo or will my WA6SE be sufficient to drive the HE-5 with equal sound quality (or better).

I've read a few posts where people have said the WA6SE works with the HE-5, but I haven't seen any direct comparison between the EF-5 and other amps in terms of sound quality etc. You would expect that the Woo would have better sound quality than the much less expensive EF-5, unless the EF-5 is so uniquely tuned to gel with the HE-5 that nothing else will drive them with the same synergy?

Any comparisons out there?

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #1,624 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the HE-5/EF-5 combo or will my WA6SE be sufficient to drive the HE-5 with equal sound quality (or better).

I've read a few posts where people have said the WA6SE works with the HE-5, but I haven't seen any direct comparison between the EF-5 and other amps in terms of sound quality etc. You would expect that the Woo would have better sound quality than the much less expensive EF-5, unless the EF-5 is so uniquely tuned to gel with the HE-5 that nothing else will drive them with the same synergy?

Any comparisons out there?

Per Grokit's reference to my post: I was not happy with how the WA6SE was able to drive the HE5's. See the referenced post for details. I can't compare to the EF-5, but can say that it became very apparent just how challenged the Woo is when compared to a B22. You may not notice it at first and all might sound pretty darn good, but I found whenever the Woo was presented with challenging material it ran out of steam. Overall it just seemed a bit mushy and slow compared to what I hear with the B22. Do not take this as Woo-bashing as I feel the WA6SE is superb amp for all the dynamic cans I used with it. I'm still not getting what I want out of the HE-5's...too much upper-mid stridency that is fatiguing. I also feel at times that when the music is dense and layered (usually vocals over electronic instruments) that the electronic sound turns very grungy, for lack of a better word, and sounds like no instrument I've ever heard. I am listening at what I'd consider to be a moderate volume. BTW, per the other post, I got no sense of that upper-mid fatigue from the Woo. I have yet to try a different front-end, and I do feel these cans, particularly with the B22, are ruthlessly revealing of everything. With some material they are really remarkable, but the fatigue is ever present for me.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #1,625 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, per the other post, I got no sense of that upper-mid fatigue from the Woo. I have yet to try a different front-end, and I do feel these cans, particularly with the B22, are ruthlessly revealing of everything. With some material they are really remarkable, but the fatigue is ever present for me.

I remember that some had complained about that same fatigue with the Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp, which also had adequate power for the HE-5s, but not the synergy needed in other areas. I have the matched EF5 amp, and while it is pretty source-dependent power wise, it hasn't given me any fatigue after the first 250-300 hours; I highly recommend it for the HE-5s. The upper-mid fatigue was definitely there for me before break in but never once since, thankfully
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #1,626 of 1,668
For someone who has a looming interest in acquiring an HE-5, aside from the EF-5 (which is a must I gather) and other desktop headamps mentioned here (i.e. b22, M^3), I can't help but ask if there is a portable headamp currently available in the market which could drive the HE-5 at decent levels with some authority? The portable Millett Hybrid perhaps, which is rated to delivery up to 8volts RMS? I'm inclined to ask this question simply because I wish to know the extent of its portability (if at all possible).

If this matter has been tackled and answered previously, I'd appreciate if someone could provide the link to it.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,627 of 1,668
I haven't tried the HE5 with portable amp but Skylab tried it with the RSA Protector and really liked the combo. I can't find where his post is though.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,628 of 1,668
Lost in the ether
biggrin.gif

But I did think the Protector and the HE-5 balanced sounded very good together.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #1,629 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably saw this from a mile away...quick comparison of the T1 and HE-5?

2 miles away.
biggrin.gif

I'll use a perfect analogy if you any experience with electrostats.
The Stax O2's are a neutral, slightly dark headphone, with a pretty tight head stage, but the experience is one that is close to the actual recording (this is opinion because there is no way of telling what the real recording sounded like, unless you were one of the actual engineers who were in the room).
I compare the Stax O2's to the T-1's.

The HeAudio Jade's (a Head-Direct electrostat) are lively, with a touch of color in the mid section. They are otherwise pretty accurate, and have a huge head stage that makes me a happy person when I am listening to them. They are my favorite stat out of all stats I've ever auditioned for a decent amount of time.
I compare the HE-5's to the Jades.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,630 of 1,668
Quote:

2 miles away.
biggrin.gif

The Stax O2's are a neutral, slightly dark headphone, with a pretty tight head stage, but the experience is one that is close to the actual recording (this is opinion because there is no way of telling what the real recording sounded like, unless you were one of the actual engineers who were in the room).

The HeAudio Jade's (a Head-Direct electrostat) are lively, with a touch of color in the mid section. They are otherwise pretty accurate, and have a huge head stage that makes me a happy person when I am listening to them. They are my favorite stat out of all stats I've ever auditioned for a decent amount of time.

Interesting, thanks for the comparison. I kind of miss my HE-5s, I think I might shoot for the new HE-5LE.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,631 of 1,668
Quote:

2 miles away.
biggrin.gif

I agree with your comparison of the neutral vs. lively presentation, even thought I have never heard the various Stax TOTL headphones.

I was hoping the T1 would make me want to sell at least my Jade since I don't have a super amp to go with them and maybe my HE-5 also to try the HD800, but for now, after maybe 40-50 hours with the T1, I think I still prefer the more exciting/vibrant, dense and colorful presentation of the HE-5. The T1 definitely sounds more balanced and layered, but maybe a touch too laidback for my taste... maybe they will open themselves and sound more forward after more usage ?

I am also looking forward to the HE-5LE based on the impressions from the recent NYC meet.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #1,632 of 1,668
Quote:

2 miles away.
biggrin.gif

I find the O2 Mk1 to have a deeper headstage than Jade, and the Jade have a wider headstage than O2 Mk1. In that sense I thought the Jade were closer to the O2 Mk2. The HE-5 headstage is deeper than jade but not as deep as O2 Mk1, and the headstage is wider than the O2 Mk1 but not as wide as the Jade.

I really enjoy all of them, and in comparing the HE-5 to HP-1000 with Equinox cable on my ZDT the HE-5 were clearly better to me in all areas, and closer to the Stats or HD800 in performance. (HP-1000, HE-5, O2 and Jade do beat the HD800 in the area of bass, but not in the out of head soundstage you get with HD800.)

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,633 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the O2 Mk1 to have a deeper headstage than Jade, and the Jade have a wider headstage than O2 Mk1. In that sense I thought the Jade were closer to the O2 Mk2. The HE-5 headstage is deeper than jade but not as deep as O2 Mk1, and the headstage is wider than the O2 Mk1 but not as wide as the Jade.

I really enjoy all of them, and in comparing the HE-5 to HP-1000 with Equinox cable on my ZDT the HE-5 were clearly better to me in all areas, and closer to the Stats or HD800 in performance. (HP-1000, HE-5, O2 and Jade do beat the HD800 in the area of bass, but not in the out of head soundstage you get with HD800.)

It's going to take me some time to digest this and sort it all out!

Hold on
darthsmile.gif
:
time_tunnel_250_1.jpg

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,635 of 1,668
But the one falling over is James Darren, the handsome one (well they're both handsome, but James is more handsome).
He was both a teen idol and radio pop singer.

The T-1's just started to open nicely at 100 hours.

The HE-5's only took about 60 hours and are staying stabile ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back