HE-5..initial musings
Jan 17, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #1,306 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally took a listen to the HE-5 today and compared it to the HD800. Both are balanced and driven with a balanced ϐ22 and some high-end CEC CDP.

In my mind, it's clear that the HD800 is overall the better headphone with a wetter midrange, better control and gasp! More holographic soundstaging. Given the price difference, I'm honestly not surprised at this outcome. That aside, the HE-5 is definitely a steal at its current price if one wants to experience the Orthodynamic sound and to a certain extent, the HD800's kind of sound too. The only problem is that you need a serious amp if you want to drive the HE-5 properly given its nature as a current-hungry beast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend's ϐ22 has 2 balanced outputs so one is plugged to the HE-5 and other to the HD800 and I just swapped headphones while listening to the same track. I have to admit that I didn't spend prolonged time comparing them but the improvement from the HE-5 to the HD800 is very clear, thought not drastic by any means.

I thought the most striking difference is the midrange, the HE-5 has a very ortho-y midrange about it: a bit dry and as clear as day. The HD800's midrange has more weight and emotion to it. The HE-5 is noticeably boosted in the upper midrange/lower treble region too which can make it sound sibilant on certain tracks and perhaps, to give a false impression of details. The HD800 also suffers this issue to a lesser extent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does dry and wet correspond to in this context?

I agree that the HE-5 performs quite well as a $600 vs $1400 phone in comparison, but it just isn't up to the level of the HD800. And I do have amps that can give them the power they need. Still, the HE-5 are getting much more ear time than my HD600 and HF-2 in my bedroom rig for now...

Zoide, I tend to think of "wet" as being more organic like vocal cords and "dry" is more like a guitar string. I'm not sure what he meant by it though.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,307 of 1,668
I changed the Benchmark DAC1's output to Variable (controlled by the volume knob) and now I can put Foobar2000 to max output with no distortion from the EF5. Something is just going on with the EF5 and either impedance matching issues or max input voltage issues. The joys of componant matching.

I have a tall head, the HE-5's are near their biggest size - which has been the case for almost all headphones.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #1,308 of 1,668
I'm listening to my recently received HE-5s...and they blow the RS-1s I had away...there's no comparison. They sound simply marvelous...the best I've heard yet (which isn't saying terribly much...I guess).
No sibilance or painful highs...listening to Animals - Pink Floyd and it's really freaking good.

~Thomas

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #1,309 of 1,668
Quote:

What does dry and wet correspond to in this context?

See Larry's post. I think he puts it quite nicely.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #1,310 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zoide, I tend to think of "wet" as being more organic like vocal cords and "dry" is more like a guitar string. I'm not sure what he meant by it though.

Wetness refers to reverb/reflections in sound that are present in the recording. If a pair of headphones are sufficiently detailed and resolving, you'll hear this wetness and it is perceived (IMO) as a more natural and realistic sound.

A dry sound would be lacking this reverb and "air" around notes. This would happen if headphones don't reproduce all the acoustic reflections and ambient details of the venue or if they truncate the natural decay of notes.

This is what I've always thought dry/wet to mean in the scope of speakers/headphones. Some people simplify wetness to mean "echo" but it's more complex than that. Also, it has a slightly different meaning in recording/mixing, which isn't relevant here.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #1,311 of 1,668
Quote:

Does anyone find that the HE-5 are a bit too big for their head?Even in the smallest position, the earpads end up too low on my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, almost. They are in the smallest position.

Funny, I have them maxxed out and can still use a little more room. I am one of the only people who was comfortable with a Qualia medium.
Like I always say, "bigger head, more brains"!"
smile.gif

I am 5' 11" and weigh 180 lbs so it's not like I am a big person. I have this whole theory based upon "ear to head placement". Don't even get me started!
eek.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #1,312 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I have them maxxed out and can still use a little more room. I am one of the only people who was comfortable with a Qualia medium.
Like I always say, "bigger head, more brains"!"
smile.gif

I am 5' 11" and weigh 180 lbs so it's not like I am a big person. I have this whole theory based upon "ear to head placement". Don't even get me started!
eek.gif

I use them at a setting slightly higher than the smallest and boy are they comfortable. I feel bad for those who need to resort to stuffing bubble wrap to get these to sit right.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #1,313 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 16 volt setting is to be used w/ the EF1 or EF2 should you wish to use the better PSU w/ either of those two amps. The EF5 requires 18 volts. Cheers.

FINALLY a proper explanation, thank you!

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #1,314 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use them at a setting slightly higher than the smallest and boy are they comfortable. I feel bad for those who need to resort to stuffing bubble wrap to get these to sit right.
darthsmile.gif

Thankfully the HE-5 come with plenty of bubble wrap in the box :p

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #1,316 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any discount for head-fi members?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I and a couple of others talked them down from $999 to $599 at RMAF, and they decided to give everyone that price.
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #1,317 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I and a couple of others talked them down from $999 to $599 at RMAF, and they decided to give everyone that price.
tongue.gif

Wow, I wasn't aware. Thanks for that. These things fell at the upper limit of my budget, otherwise they would have been another set of top tier cans just out of my reach.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #1,318 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 16 volt setting is to be used w/ the EF1 or EF2 should you wish to use the better PSU w/ either of those two amps. The EF5 requires 18 volts. Cheers.

Not certain that is a fact since the EF2 can operate on 16 or 18 volts (it's on the website). I swapped out the enemic wall wart on my EF2 (16 v/500ma) for a 18v 800ma and the SQ is definitely better (mostly as I listen at loud volumes and this is where the benefit is noticed).

I am thinking of getting an 18v/2500ma torrodial from manufacturer in Pennsyvania to replace the wall wart for $35 but I have switched my listening preferences over to my new Maverick D1 as of two weeks ago (with upgraded tubes) and I have not turned back to the EF2 in sometime now (FOTM issue). The Maverick is well suited for my D5000s.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,319 of 1,668
Gosh...I'd love to listen to these things. They blow the RS1 away?? Them's fighting words! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back