HE-5..initial musings
Jan 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #1,141 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.... all this talk about the HE-5 potentially sounding thin is worrisome. Has anyone compared them vs. the Ultrasone Edition 9's for rock?

Thanks

I think by "thin" you mean "lacking mid-bass". Unless you under-power them, they don't lack mid-bass at all. I find with the Phoenix, which is dead-neutral, they just enough bass and mid-bass to make the music fun, without over-doing it as, say, Denons do, or some of the Stax Lambdas. They are rather airy like Stax which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but is great with vocals for example. Thankfully turning up the volume, they do get in your face with the music, so it is possible to rock-out.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,142 of 1,668
I've read the whole thread but haven't seen much talk if any about sound leakage and/or isolation. I know these are open phones but would anyone care to comment on how well they isolate or leak sound relative to their other phones. I currently live in a dormitory so minimum leakage is ideal. Thanks!!

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,143 of 1,668
They do not isolate AT ALL, and leak sound very freely. They are VERY open cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,144 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do not isolate AT ALL, and leak sound very freely. They are VERY open cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Skylab!! I was really hoping that they'd fair better as they seem to be way better than any closed can I've been considering around the same price point. Ahh well I guess am still in IEM land then. Thanks again.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,145 of 1,668
The HE-5's and the HD800's are as open as open gets.

If you want to listen to the HE-5's in a dorm room, especially during Toga parties, you will need to soundproof your room.

blown.jpg
2250672666_791ede77f3_m.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,146 of 1,668
immtbiker: LOL

Has anyone tried the HE-5 with a Meier Audio amp like the Corda Opera?

Has anyone tried the HE-5 with punk music like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #1,147 of 1,668
Yes, the HE-5s are no more isolating than my Stax Lambdas, which are no more isolating than their very perforated plastic frame.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #1,148 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand how folks can have such polarized views of the HE-5's treble response.

Probably because they are all using difference gear and source material and the HE5 is letting it show.

Although I have been enjoying them immensely, I have begun to notice a "flaw" in the HE5. It has become seemingly apparent that there is a "void" in the upper bass/lower midrange area, where the soul of the music resides, as well as harmonics and overtones. It seems to be lacking in whatever ties the bass and the midrange together. A bit of a detachment there, a hollowness. Anyone else hearing this?

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #1,149 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because they are all using difference gear and source material and the HE5 is letting it show.

Although I have been enjoying them immensely, I have begun to notice a "flaw" in the HE5. It has become seemingly apparent that there is a "void" in the upper bass/lower midrange area, where the soul of the music resides, as well as harmonics and overtones. It seems to be lacking in whatever ties the bass and the midrange together. A bit of a detachment there, a hollowness. Anyone else hearing this?

Any particular music that this is most noticeable with? The first time I tried them single-ended, some jazz sounded a bit flat with them, which might or might not be related. After going balanced, things changed considerably though. I thought there was a bit of a void in the upper mids before the treble peak, but it could be the treble peak itself giving this impression. At least on my rig there is some degree of mid-bass hump, but it wouldn't surprise me if some funny things were going on between that and the treble. Their tonality seems to be very strongly affected by how they are amped.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #1,150 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would chalk this up to the HE-5's getting-infamous "pickieness" with amplifiers unless you are using HiFiMAN's EF5; I looked back and it seems you are not. There is more to amp synergy with the HE-5 than your standard impedience/sensitivity equation, as far as I can tell.

OK, Stupid Question That Has Probably Already Been Answered:

I just got the above-mentioned combo today
popcorn.gif
!

I am in the USA and obviously I would set the power supply to the 110-volt setting on the back, but there is also an output voltage selector switch on the back of the DY-1, 16 or 18 volts; the specs online say 18 volts but I have not found or gotten a definitive answer as to what the correct choice is for USA 115-120v; maybe you need to keep it at 16v and it wants 18v in Japan (110v), but not the US for all I know.

There's no documentation and I don't want to start burning this combo or even power it up until I know for sure. When I got it it was set up for 220v in/16v out, so obviously not set up for US use; both switches were both "up" so intuitively I would slide them both down to 110v in/18v out positions, but that's hardly definitive...

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #1,151 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
immtbiker: LOL

Has anyone tried the HE-5 with a Meier Audio amp like the Corda Opera?

Has anyone tried the HE-5 with punk music like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?

I can't necessarily speak for Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, but distorted guitars don't sound very pleasing on the HE-5s and the distortion seems to drown the music a bit. I'd expect the same thing with any high detail 'phone.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #1,152 of 1,668
I just collected the HE-5/EF-5 combo from a local head-fier yesterday so have only listened for a couple of hours. First impressions:

- Very detailed - more than any headphone I've heard before (admittedly I have yet to listen to 'stats or HD800s). To go over well-worn ground, there are subtleties/nuances in tracks that I can pick up on which I previously didn't.

- Fatigue caused by sharpness. Trebles are definitely hot straight out of the box - hopefully, burn-in will mellow them out in time.

- Mids are organic - not overly lush/warm, but still delicate enough when needed. Recession does not seem to be an issue.

- Bass extends pretty low and is sufficient; although my source (Electrocompaniet ECD1) is generally warm in character, a little more bass weight would be appreciated.

- In terms of build quality, the cups, padding and headband seem solid enough. However, as others have mentioned the wiring could do with being a couple of feet longer and the connection between headband and cups could be better designed - the wooden pieces which the metal slides through don't seem quite right as they protude a bit too far outwards for my liking.

Overall, I'm happy with my first ortho purchase - the main downside is that the JH13 fund is back down to zero

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #1,153 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the USA and obviously I would set the power supply to the 110-volt setting on the back, but there is also an output voltage selector switch on the back of the DY-1, 16 or 18 volts; the specs online say 18 volts but I have not found or gotten a definitive answer as to what the correct choice is for USA 115-120v; maybe you need to keep it at 16v and it wants 18v in Japan (110v), but not the US for all I know.

There's no documentation and I don't want to start burning this combo or even power it up until I know for sure. When I got it it was set up for 220v in/16v out, so obviously not set up for US use; both switches were both "up" so intuitively I would slide them both down to 110v in/18v out positions, but that's hardly definitive...

Stick to 18 volts. It says 18V input on the back, 25 volts maximum. I looked on the back of my EF-1 and it says 18V input, and Fang told me at a meet that the DY-1 P/S is interchangeable with the EF-1 instead of the brick. Japan uses 100V, not 110.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #1,154 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular music that this is most noticeable with?

Probably rock, that sort of thing. I haven't done an A/B with my Stax yet. Might be a similar effect. The HE5 might be more "accurate" when comparing to live music, might not be romanticising the sound. Yes, I can see tube amplification making a better partner. But again, it's mix and match, using something boosted in an area to fix something lacking in same.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,155 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick to 18 volts. It says 18V input on the back, 25 volts maximum. I looked on the back of my EF-1 and it says 18V input, and Fang told me at a meet that the DY-1 P/S is interchangeable with the EF-1 instead of the brick. Japan uses 100V, not 110.

really?? Could Fang please offer an option with the the EF-5 with a wallwart and go back to the original EF-1 cost with that configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back