HE-5..initial musings
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #241 of 1,668
Aye..well anyone up for testing this theory?
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #242 of 1,668
The driver is housed within a plastic frame which is glued into the wood - I looked hard to see if it could be opened without cutting it out. It is possible that there is some sneaky way but I didn't see it ..dB

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #244 of 1,668
.....i dont find the 5-7Khz peak.Switched from Cast to XLR valhalla and now its even better.Its like bodybuilding with these headphones and i dont know where its limits are.At this moment i find the frequency curve should be close to HD-800 very well balanced with better bass response and the soundstage should be parallel to Senns-believe it or not.Waiting that others get them balanced.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #245 of 1,668
I definitely do not hear a 5-7kHz peak with the HE-5. This was an area of concern for me with the HD800 (many of which do have a measurable peak in around 6KHz), but I do not hear that from the HE-5. The HE-5 has an exceptionally smooth treble - one of the things I like best about it.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #247 of 1,668
None whatsoever.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #248 of 1,668
I've noticed the treble hardness only when an amp runs out of steam. If your system handles the contrasting dynamic swings the mid-band and treble are some of the better available.

All dependent on the dynamic nature of the Music being played. From a Symphony to Jimmy Page and a steam rolling Guitar Riff..battling Bonzo for the lead...it's in there! Just need an amp that can run with it and your in business.
popcorn.gif

I get the First Watt delivered next Monday (Woo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoo).
beerchug.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #249 of 1,668
To you who have listened to these extensively:

How do you think these display pitches? Are they accurate? Are you able to discern different toms in a drumset from each other and would you be able to write an accurate sheet music from the melody you're hearing?

The mention of the bass being uncontrolled concerns me. I listen to lots of music with acoustic/electrical bass instruments and even though the reproduction is fast and controlled, it doesn't necessarily mean that notes play accurately. (Good example being many studio monitors..) Being uncontrolled doesn't help this either... :/

Any opinions/observations over this matter?

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #251 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further impressions post burn-in, or possibly a full blown review
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Myself and others are waiting on Cables (I'm waiting on phone and cables). Apuresound has mine! When people start receiving those more posts and someone (Rob
wink.gif
) will do a full fledged style review. I'm a week away or more....or more....Has Head-Direct received more shipments of the phone?

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #252 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To you who have listened to these extensively:

How do you think these display pitches? Are they accurate? Are you able to discern different toms in a drumset from each other and would you be able to write an accurate sheet music from the melody you're hearing?

The mention of the bass being uncontrolled concerns me. I listen to lots of music with acoustic/electrical bass instruments and even though the reproduction is fast and controlled, it doesn't necessarily mean that notes play accurately. (Good example being many studio monitors..) Being uncontrolled doesn't help this either... :/

Any opinions/observations over this matter?

Hey Kasper,

I think I answered most of your queries in a P.M. right?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #253 of 1,668
You did, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

This was posted earlier than I noticed your message, I think. If not, I'm on my way to early retirement..
biggrin.gif

I'll just wait for more detailed opinions once everyone's got their system's up to the task.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #255 of 1,668
Nothing interesting, yet, if he doesn't mind me saying so
smily_headphones1.gif

As he has said plenty of times, he's waiting for a new, more powerful amplifier and balanced cables to give full impressions.

What I haven't received an answer for, concerns the pitch-accuracy. It doesn't have to be the latest in transparency or dynamics either if I can only hear notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back