HE-5..initial musings
Nov 2, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #212 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the consensus is that this will require some very expensive amplification?

No, not always....

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #213 of 1,668
It's probably less a matter of expensive and more a matter of powerful. Fang was running them off his EF-1 amp at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and the sound was excellent - much better than some of the more expensive amps (5x the price of the EF-1) we tried. Fang is supposed to be bringing to market a version of the EF-1 tailored to the HE-5 (EF-5) - the combo will be <$1000.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #214 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably less a matter of expensive and more a matter of powerful. Fang was running them off his EF-1 amp at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and the sound was excellent - much better than some of the more expensive amps (5-10x the price of the EF-1) we tried. Fang is supposed to be bringing to market a version of the EF-1 tailored to the HE-5 (EF-5) - the combo will be <$1000.

Just what I wanted to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
Head-Direct is the best.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #215 of 1,668
Quote:

It's probably less a matter of expensive and more a matter of powerful. Fang was running them off his EF-1 amp at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and the sound was excellent - much better than some of the more expensive amps (5x the price of the EF-1) we tried. Fang is supposed to be bringing to market a version of the EF-1 tailored to the HE-5 (EF-5) - the combo will be <$1000.

Yes...I'm looking forward to this as well. Hopefully it will keep me away from Woo Audio's website!
smile_phones.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #218 of 1,668
confused_face_2.gif
devil_face.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea if it will be tube or solid state?

It is a hybrid design meaning tube front and a solid-state output. You have to catch up and read the thread...lot's of info on how much and what kind of power needed. If you don't listen loud and your Music focus is Modern you won't need as much.

The EF-5 is Fang's answer to typical power needs of the average customer, and with the anticipated combo pricing it should be (daresay) an almost steal.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #220 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...I'm looking forward to this as well. Hopefully it will keep me away from Woo Audio's website!
smile_phones.gif

It doesn't work well with an all tube format IMO. The WA6SE is no slouch and I tried the pairing, and found it was highly rolled at the frequency extremes and to soft a focus. Some People crave just that type of coloration..I do not!

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #221 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW,

I sold my HE-5s today
tongue.gif

Roh, Roh...does that mean the Audeze is in your Future
atsmile.gif
?

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #222 of 1,668
Indeed!..however it would need to be really special cause the enjoyment factor out of my vintage orthodynamics is just phenomenal for the price.

But yes, am probably going to end up with the LCD-2..maybe
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #223 of 1,668
Quote:

I heard it at CanJam and it was O.K.....if it was actually truly excellent, their would be no need for an EF-5. I didn't bring any Music and was unfamiliar with the source (typical show conditions) but I heard enough to peak the interest and pounced when I heard it was available.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #224 of 1,668
Quote:

Indeed!..however it would need to be really special cause the enjoyment factor out of my vintage orthodynamics is just phenomenal for the price.

wink.gif

All you fellas that use the a lot of the vintage orthos aren't to enamored with the HE-5 are you? I have noticed that some of my early complaints I had, the occasional sugar smoothness and the slightly heavy bass are a bother? Just an observation of the comments here and other sites.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #225 of 1,668
Quote:

wink.gif

Oh! Has Sankar mentioned any cable options to you or anyone you know regarding the LCD-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back