HE-5..initial musings
Oct 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #166 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As always the "BEST" is subjective..and in the Ear of the beholder (always)!

I have both the Purity and M3, and the M3...that would do better! Especially if the M3 had the Sigma PS to power it.

ahhh, best is indeed subjective. But on the other hand what is "best" more than a general consensus, because they're will always be those who disagree just for the sake of doing so. Plus many of the fans of this phone have many years of experience and have tried many of the most well regraded offerings from most brands.

Can you recommend me an m3 builder/company/manufacturer?

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #167 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All we have to do now is to wait for some more unbiased opinions and comparisons. I would be happy to hear about some shortcomings of these HE-5. No headphones are flawless, anyway.

Too sad that we have to wait till late November.

Ummm there is one...they sound a little sibilant with female vocals when you turn them up. At least for my ears...anotehr set of ears though confirmed it.

Also, a coupleof the vintage orthodynamics were actually faster than the HE-5

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #168 of 1,668
Quote:

All we have to do now is to wait for some more unbiased opinions and comparisons. I would be happy to hear about some shortcomings of these HE-5. No headphones are flawless, anyway.

Too sad that we have to wait till late November.

Did you read from page 1? I have several reservations about them initially. I don't know if they are the "greatest headphone ever" (I like the HD800 in that role for now..even the diminutive JH13 has an honorable mention).

Did you read Skylab's impressions? Honest with caveats!!

You want shortcomings??? How about "no power..no gain"!

No Head-Fi members are "flawless" either!!

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #169 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhh, best is indeed subjective. But on the other hand what is "best" more than a general consensus, because they're will always be those who disagree just for the sake of doing so. Plus many of the fans of this phone have many years of experience and have tried many of the most well regraded offerings from most brands.

Rockhopper (Steve) is involved less and less and is looking after the family.
What's on the AMB site for recommendations? Mister X still there?

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #170 of 1,668
Quote:

Yeah, the funny part? The "Best" around here is mostly legend. The K1000 (they couldn't give away at the end) The R10...wonderful in it's day and still toward the top...but few have actually heard it. The point being is that People live vicariously through others and experience little themselves to make informed opinions. But they keep the fingers moving across the board like they are the authority...
popcorn.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #171 of 1,668
A word about impedance and Planars:

The impedance (resistance/reactance) is steady in most Planar designs and is a constant, independent of frequency.

Dynamic drivers have a stated impedance value but it's nominal (averaged). The actual impedance can very wildly form 3 to 3000 ohms for instant peaks as an example, (measured in time increments of nano or pico ex.) and are a more complex load for an amp.

An Ipod will see the HE-5 and say "I can do it" and does. BUT the crux of the matter is SENSITIVITY!

Sensitivity, is more the ability of how efficiently the (current in this case) is turned into loudness level. Planars are, across the board, not the most sensitive of creatures.

The Sennheiser 6XX family is Voltage friendly and loves a good Voltage source. The HD800 requires a bit of both. The era of the Planar is upon us and it is now the "current" generation
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #172 of 1,668
^

Can we please sticky this? This is very useful information that will come in handy when choosing phones.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #174 of 1,668
Quote:

Indubitably. And I would see achristilaw in position of Mr Fang's best sales representative as well (sorry, could not help that!)
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes you could..but you did it anyway! And that says it all....

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #178 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the funny part? The "Best" around here is mostly legend. The K1000 (they couldn't give away at the end) The R10...wonderful in it's day and still toward the top...but few have actually heard it. The point being is that People live vicariously through others and experience little themselves to make informed opinions. But they keep the fingers moving across the board like they are the authority...
popcorn.gif

Well that is discouraging.... how am I supposed to trust the opinion of anybody on headfi... Some people must be old enough/rich enough to have heard the "best" discontinued and current production headphones? Right?

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #179 of 1,668
Quote:

Well that is discouraging.... how am I supposed to trust the opinion of anybody on headfi... Some people must be old enough/rich enough to have heard the "best" discontinued and current production headphones? Right?

Go to a national meet and play with a bunch of toys...But, you will never know how something sounds until you live with it...

Your paying for it!! You'll have to live with that! No one hears the same, then places the same importance on the performance parameters that you will. Some like Heavy Bass (example).

Show conditions only tell you a limited amount of info. Experience is the only Teacher (where have I heard that one?). You have to get your feet under you and learn how to listen. We all hear but few know how to listen, then identify what you are hearing. Examine all the variable that contribute to what you are hearing. Understand source and limitations of it, understand the amp and possible headphone-source interactions. And lastly the type of headphone with it's positive and negative aspects (you can discern this with proper amp n' source). You will evolve if you choose this as a hobby. Learn and grow..as with any hobby...

We are getting off topic but it's worth it with all the newbies floating about!!

All postings are opinions, and every ones opinions should be viewed as such! er...that's my opinion...

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #180 of 1,668
Quote:

If you need to lean on someone..pick someone who has an equipment list that is comparable to yours (and likes the same Music). And watch and observe their postings on that equipment and see if you hear similarly, and emphasize the same trait's.

So you can develop a buddy system while watching for gear. I have some of those still in place for thirty years or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back