HE-5..initial musings
Oct 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #151 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by thinker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was switching between HE-5 and Senn HD-800 today.I gave the phones to my wife to compare- she said the KRELL/HE-5 just blow the HD-800 completely away.I agree with her and say that the HE-5 puts life in music that i have never ever experienced from any audio component before.The question is how much power does the HE-5 need to perform on this level and what a role does the balanced connection play here.

I'm sure both are working in concert and aid in the performance you are hearing.

I ordered the Apuresound balanced cable also..but I went a step further. I am also having made at the same time a female pair of XLR's to BARE WIRE adapter for exploring some home amps I have available. The GSX will have power enough perhaps along with the Balanced Beta, but if not I can reach further and juice them with some home amp power!

I can change the Gain of the Beta for example but at the expense of the other eight balanced phones that don't require the juice, I'm hoping I don't have to resort to doing that.

I have a slew of Gain Clones (47 labs, Amp1, Nixon mono's etc) that are reasonably quiet and some home brew passive attenuators that I'm going to try. The LFD is a quiet integrated that would match well (perhaps). With the adapter's I have more options...

I should have bought that First Watt when I had a chance, instead I passed and didn't think I had the need...I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #153 of 1,668
I've not heard this HE-5 but it's not about sound level, it's about control. Those statements are not conflicting.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #154 of 1,668
It will not give the sound it is capable of right from an iPod. Sounds OK (I tried it briefly), but the sound is far, far more impressive with a good amp.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #155 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard this HE-5 but it's not about sound level, it's about control. Those statements are not conflicting.

I guess. Well, to use another quote, the EF1 was recommended as an adequate amp by fang.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will not give the sound it is capable of right from an iPod. Sounds OK (I tried it briefly), but the sound is far, far more impressive with a good amp.

how good? Can you name a few models that it achieves >95% of its potential with?

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #156 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how good? Can you name a few models that it achieves >95% of its potential with?

Well this is impossible for me to answer, since I have no way to know what the 100% amp is
biggrin.gif

What I do know is the sound is excellent from the $1,200 Audio-GD Phoenix, and from the $800 Decware CSP-2. It was also very, very good from the $400 JSoundLab "Headphone".

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #157 of 1,668
I knew that first part was coming
biggrin.gif

Thx for the info. Sounds like a big amp is necessarry. Might have to wait until after I build my b22.
Anyone got an idea of how long this phone will be in production? (If its limited or whatever)

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #159 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the connectors at the headphone side- they look like mini coax? Can someone give me a part number as I may build my own cable to avoid warranty issues with cutting the end of the cable to reterminate.

Can anyone answer the above?

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #160 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a M^3 or Purity Audio KICAS fair well with these phones? If so it's time to clean house and order one ASAP. I imagine a Caliente would fair better than the KICAS to give the Bass some more oomph?

Also wondering about this... and by the way how does the M^3 compare with the Purity Audio offerings? Is there any better amp than those 2 in this price range. Thanks for all the help... loving the impressions in this thread, it's cool to know that you can have the best headphone in the world for only 600$.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #162 of 1,668
My sound level concerns stem from the needs of serving the Music at hand. Being able to follow the large dynamic contrasts (if you want to do it faithfully) require a hefty supply.

IMO. Solid-State or hybrid will do fine. The "Classic" listeners will need more oomph than others. These guy's can flat out fly
wink_face.gif
!

Having them making noise, to having them driven, then on to having them fill their full potential....takes some grunt!
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #163 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also wondering about this... and by the way how does the M^3 compare with the Purity Audio offerings? Is there any better amp than those 2 in this price range. Thanks for all the help... loving the impressions in this thread, it's cool to know that you can have the best headphone in the world for only 600$.

As always the "BEST" is subjective..and in the Ear of the beholder (always)!

I have both the Purity and M3, and the M3...that would do better! Especially if the M3 had the Sigma PS to power it.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #164 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew that first part was coming
biggrin.gif

Thx for the info. Sounds like a big amp is necessarry. Might have to wait until after I build my b22.
Anyone got an idea of how long this phone will be in production? (If its limited or whatever)

It's just arrived..and sales will determine the longevity (along with parts suppliers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back