HE-400 or DT880 or Other?
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Technikal

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I'd just like some closure on what headphones to end up buying. My current headphones are closed Shure SRH440s and while they were a great upgrade at the time I think I'm ready to step it up and get more serious about my audio
beyersmile.png

I've narrowed it down to the HE-400s and DT880s but if anyone has any other suggestions in the same price range I'd gladly listen. I mainly listen to a lot of hiphop/pop/instrumental type music so I set my goal as something with defined bass and mids without the bass drowning out the rest, but I do listen to a wide range of other genres as well so a balanced headphone is probably ideal.

As far as I can tell these two are my best options so far. I'll be powering them with the FiiO E9/E17 amp/dac combo (also my first amp) which should fit these perfectly but again, if anyone wants to recommend something better for the same price I'd be happy with any feedback.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

HE-400, easily.

Very best,

Okay! Can you comment on the level of comfort at all? I plan to be using these for extended use on the computer so will be wearing them for long periods of time. The Shures I'm using now make my scalp hurt after about 4 hours of use and I want to make sure that doesn't happen.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 14
The weight of the HE400s are distributed very evenly. It doesn't press down on your head very hard at all. That said, the HE400 is pretty heavy for a pair of headphones, but I don't have any issues with comfort with them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Okay! Can you comment on the level of comfort at all? I plan to be using these for extended use on the computer so will be wearing them for long periods of time. The Shures I'm using now make my scalp hurt after about 4 hours of use and I want to make sure that doesn't happen.

Heya,

The HE400 is pretty comfortable to wear. It's a little on the heavy side of a typical headphone, but I found the pressure to be even and not intense. Then again, I'm used to heavy headphones like the HE500 which is pretty heavy. The DT880, like all Beyers, are very comfortable. Beyer comfort is pretty legendary to me. But I'm a big Beyer fan too. But sonically, The HE400 wins in this situation in my opinion. I like the DT880, but the HE400 just has a more satisfying full sound and is warmer and has those gorgeous planar mids. HE400 also allows you to swap between velour and leather pads inexpenisvely ($10). Beyer pads are more expensive. I can wear both for hours without a problem. But that's me, everyone has a different take on pressure.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 14
Awesome, I guess I'll go with the HE400 then. I heard that from this point onwards you aren't buying headphones that are "better" than others but rather headphones that suit your needs differently, so it's great to get feedback from people with experience to put my mind at ease

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 14
I started out with Grado and then moved to Beyer's then to HiFiman and Denon's (where I am today). Was a fun way to go, but avoiding the low end and going straight to mid level right away would have been a better decision. You are starting at a great place with HE400, about as good as it gets up to $700. HE400 is an absolute steal for what you get.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Well it isn't really a fair comparison. The HE-400 is in a higher price class after all.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Well it isn't really a fair comparison. The HE-400 is in a higher price class after all.

Thing is there aren't many great cans in this specific price-range of around $400, I could count them with my fingers.

By "Great", I mean possessing SQ that is definitively a league above headphones priced closer to $200~300. We all know there is a HUGE competitive market in that price-point and so lots of fantastic headphones cost that much. In retrospect then a lot of $400 or $500 cans tend to be marginally (if any) better.

That's why there is no avoiding comparing HE400s to slightly lower priced headphones, as well as slightly more expensive ones.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

The place I'll be buying them from (headphones.com.au, pretty much the only/best place to buy headphones in Australia) the HE400 are only $20 more expensive than the DT880 so I assumed they would compare really similarly... but it's good to know how much better they are now =D

I also wanted to ask, am I doing right by getting an external amp/dac combo? or would it be smarter to buy a cheaper amp and just use a cheap sound card in my computer?

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 14
I had both at the same time… DT 880 was very boring compared to HE 400. HE-400 is one of the most involving cans I had the pleasure to listen to. Comfort is good, not far from the Beyer.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
You don't need a lot if anything in terms of amp for HE-400.

An external one like the e17 would be good, as would just getting a good soundcard like the STX. The former option has the advantage of being mobile, the latter has the advantage of "7.1" if you need it.

Okay cool. I guess I was a little ambitious... the headphones probably won't be leaving my room so getting the e17 may be a little redundant. If a good soundcard is all I need then that seems like the best solution. Thanks for the responses and feedback everyone... I hope the HE400 are as amazing as everyone says they are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back