He-4 with a Receiver ?
Sep 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

greenrolaids

100+ Head-Fier
I know that the He-4's are pretty tough to drive and i read some where someone recommended running
them off a receiver that puts out about 70wpc with an adapter cable.

I have a nice denon 100wpc receiver, would this be a good/adequate pair until i can afford a better headphone amp?

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 6
"HE-4 require a powerful headphone amplifier to drive it. Our EF5 headphone amplifier can serve 2 watt per channel."

Do you know how much 2 watts is? I estimate about 4-5 times the power of your receiver.

I've modded my receiver to push up, close to 6 watts. Maybe a little too much power, but oh well.
Also, my modding takes a Laptop, a couple other receivers and a solid state headphone amp to make. Not possible otherwise.

Buy the He-300 with a low price tube amp.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 6
i should have mentioned i was thinking about running the headphones from the speaker outs, not the headphone outs with an adapter.

maybe im crazy.

maybe im a fool.

maybe both?

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 6
i just found this article at http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman2/3.html

"It is theoretically possible to connect your HifiMan HE-4 directly to the speaker output terminals of your home amplifier. However, the amplifier in use may not offer more than 70 watts of output power and must be stable into the higher than typical load of the headphone. Please make sure to verify both with the manufacturer of your amp before attempting a connection. Caution: Overload due to too high voltage or technical defects caused inside the amplifier by attempting this connection are not covered by warranty. This mode of operation is not recommended."

looks like i answered my own question.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
i just found this article at http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman2/3.html

"It is theoretically possible to connect your HifiMan HE-4 directly to the speaker output terminals of your home amplifier. However, the amplifier in use may not offer more than 70 watts of output power and must be stable into the higher than typical load of the headphone. Please make sure to verify both with the manufacturer of your amp before attempting a connection. Caution: Overload due to too high voltage or technical defects caused inside the amplifier by attempting this connection are not covered by warranty. This mode of operation is not recommended."

looks like i answered my own question.

Then when there is a bad draw, your speakers warp

Use the headphone as it should be used. The HiFimen serires headphones are nice, but expensive and need certain amps since Most of them are planar. Planar are finicky little....

Buy a headphone that you can afford to run correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back