HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity
Aug 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:
Might wanna quote whoever your comments are towards for context. 
blink.gif

the OP, he really doesn't care about the sound. I don't understand, why not get the DT880 and be done with it ?! or i suppose he doesn't know how they sound and this is a bigger problem. Anyhow, both cans are one of the best but he should get the one that suits him better, right ?

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:
the OP, he really doesn't care about the sound. I don't understand, why not get the DT880 and be done with it ?! or i suppose he doesn't know how they sound and this is a bigger problem. Anyhow, both cans are one of the best but he should get the one that suits him better, right ?

He didn't say that. What he said was that he knows he'll be happy with either can (whether or not he's heard either or both previously is unstated.) He just wants to know which is the best in terms of comfort and build quality (longevity.)

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 70
Hi guys.  Just to clear up any confusion:  I own the HD650's now, I have heard the HD800's, and don't find them to be overly bright.  I have NOT heard the LCD2's, I don't have any good way to demo a pair, unfortunately, so I am going on the many, many reviews and recommendations I've read on head-fi and elsewhere that they're just that good, and will suit my tastes. 

But since I haven't tried on a pair, I wanted to ask the opinions of those who did.  Sounds like the consensus is for the HD800's. 

Thanks to everyone for the input, it was extremely helpful.  I'll make sure to post pics of my 800's when I get them.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

By the same token since the Audeze is a small company the people who designed the products two years ago will probably be the same people who design them in half a decade. 

Sennheiser having 2000 odd employees has much higher employee turnover. Many people have issues with the HD800 design and within two different models that are made at the same time they could be made on different production lines, designed by different people and QA'd by different standards. 

The HD800 has a 2 year warranty, the LCD series has 3 year. Beyond that you are more or less on your own and it would probably cost you more to repair a pair of headphones out of pocket than to pick up a working used pair. You aren't buying stocks in the company, you are a consumer and therefore not invested in the long term financials of either company.

You make a decent point, but I think it is also important to remember that the long-term viability of the company is important in this case, particularly because it seems like it'll be an "end-game" headphone purchase.  The reason why it's important that the company will be around for a while is mostly for repairability and parts availability.  Just look at how long the HD600 has been around (and I have no reason to believe the HD800 won't be around for at least the same amount of time).  It is also much safer to assume that in 2 years Sennheiser will be able to repair or replace his HD800 under warranty than it is to assume that Audeze will be able to do so in 3 years, for many reasons.

On the other hand, OP, if you like the HD650 then you will definitely appreciate the LCD-2's sound.  In terms of comfort, I'd say they clamp a little harder than the HD650 and are heavier, but neither of those qualities precludes me from enjoying the LCD-2s for hours at a time.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard the HD800 so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure you've already browsed these forums enough to know the general consensus.  If you're set on a Woo Audio amp, I think the HD800 might be the better choice, given how many people here have them paired.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #20 of 70
I own both the HD800 and LCD-2, paired to the Zodiac DAC and a Violectric V200. 

In terms of comfort, HD800 any day. I can wear the Senns for about 2 hours without noticing but the LCD-2s are only tolerated for about 20 minutes, maybe 30 at most. 

I won't worry too much about warranty in any case, usually issues pop up before that. 

As for sound, if you're not fussy, either is fine. I won't complain. But as with many others, my preferences will favour the Senn for classical music and the Audeze for electronically generated music. For rock, I use the Grado GS-1000i. 

If OP is flexible, go with the headphones you can actually wear for longer periods, HD800. 

Also of note is that if you're a classical music listener, it's worth noting that movements tend to shoot past 15-20 minutes, so wearing the headphones for longer periods is obligatory. I can't do so comfortably on the LCD-2. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #21 of 70
Since this would probably be your 'end game rig', I would strongly recommend HD 800 Balanced Blue Dragon Cables + Woo WA22 (Sophia Princess 274B Rectifier/ Tung Sol 7236 Power Tubes/ Sylvania 6SN7 Drivers.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 70
I really find the "LCD-x is uncomfortable" "consensus" to be over stated. I wore my LCD-3's for over 22 hours just the other day,
no fatigue or strained muscles. Sure, I never forgot they were on my head, but they also were never a nuisance.

If you want to just forget you're wearing headphones all together go with the HD800.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #23 of 70
I will be doing a direct comparison of the LCD-2s, HD800s and my K702s next week. I have some library loaners incoming.

The "comfort" factor is one aspect that I have been curious about. The extra weight and temperature insulative properties of the Audez'es vs. the light weight comfort with potential for high frequency listening fatigue of the Sennheisers. I am sure that different people will come to differing conclusion about these physical vs. sonic trade offs.

Bob

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #24 of 70
I always wanted to try a WA22 but people generally just told me to stick with my LF. So there's my vote. :D

Quote:
Since this would probably be your 'end game rig', I would strongly recommend HD 800 Balanced Blue Dragon Cables + Woo WA22 (Sophia Princess 274B Rectifier/ Tung Sol 7236 Power Tubes/ Sylvania 6SN7 Drivers.

The LCD3 as I understand it has some pretty significant improvements for comfort. The LCD 2 is a different ball game. The headband was the biggest issue for me.

Quote:
I really find the "LCD-x is uncomfortable" "consensus" to be over stated. I wore my LCD-3's for over 22 hours just the other day,
no fatigue or strained muscles. Sure, I never forgot they were on my head, but they also were never a nuisance.

If you want to just forget you're wearing headphones all together go with the HD800.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:
I always wanted to try a WA22 but people generally just told me to stick with my LF. So there's my vote. :D

The LCD3 as I understand it has some pretty significant improvements for comfort. The LCD 2 is a different ball game. The headband was the biggest issue for me.

Having the privilege of owning both the LCD-2 & LCD-3 (still own) and WA22 & LF (still own), I concur on both. 
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #28 of 70
I directly compared the LCD-2 r2s, LCD-3s and HD-800s a few weeks ago (also library loaners).  The new LCD-2s and LCD-3s are pretty much the same as far as comfort, as they have changed the -2s to be like the -3s.  The HD-800s are cooler and more comfortable than either LCD, by a significant margin.  Nevertheless, I now own LCD-3s because I liked their sound better. I have no problems wearing them for several hours... my ears get a bit hot, and I notice the clamping force, particularly when I'm tired, but not to the point of me not wanting to listen to them. 

I'll get on my soapbox again.  If you are going put that kind of money into headphones, listen to them first.  Everybody's head is a different size, their tolerance for weight is different, their sensitivity to clamping force and heat is different... oh, and people's sonic preferences vary widely too.  These are all reasons why so many headphone companies stay in business.  The HD-800s and LCDs sound very different from each other, so don't assume that just because they are both expensive, high-fidelity equipment, you will like either/both of them. Try before you buy, at a meet, via a loaner library, whatever.  Otherwise you might be very disappointed with your very expensive purchase and will blame us, and we don't want that burden, do we folks?!  Oh wait, we're all on this site offering opinions and writing reviews... never mind... if you want comfort, buy the HD 800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back