HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity
Nov 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #47 of 70
HD 800 is miles beyond the LCD-2 in terms of comfort. The LCD-2 is heavy and it clamps hard against your head. Feels like wearing a helmet. 

The HD 800 feels large at first but after a few minutes you barely feel they're on your head. The only headphones I've worn which are on par or more comfortable are the STAX SR-009s and HD 700s (lighter) 

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #48 of 70
I'm surprised by the amount of people saying the LCD-2's aren't comfortable. I mean, I never tried the HD800's, so I can't compare, but I can wear the LCD-2's all day without issue, they're like pillows on my head (but for that matter I don't notice the weight that I remember a lot of people mentioning).

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:
I'm surprised by the amount of people saying the LCD-2's aren't comfortable. I mean, I never tried the HD800's, so I can't compare, but I can wear the LCD-2's all day without issue, they're like pillows on my head (but for that matter I don't notice the weight that I remember a lot of people mentioning).

Agreed. I understand what they're saying, but disagree. I wear my LCD's for about  4-10 hours average. I believe most average 2-4 hours.

The HD800's are the most comfortable of the bunch though.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

I certainly wouldn't say they feel like pillows. The LCD-3 pads feel like pillows, try wearing those and then put on your LCD-2... 

But if comfort is no problem to you, that's nice :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

I totally agree with you. Maybe us Canadians have more neck muscles.

May 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #53 of 70
I'm going to be one of the odd ones out and say that the LCD 2.2's are really comfortable for me. I'm actually able to forget that they're on my head most of the time. The only time they ever become uncomfortable is if I'm really tired or something.

May 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #54 of 70
Some may find the LCD-2 comfortable, some may not, which I feel personally depend on how strong your neck is 
o2smile.gif
 But if I were to compare the comfort of LCD-2 and HD800, there is no competition at all, HD800 feels almost weightless once you switch from LCD-2 to it and the distribution of weight is very even. On top of that, since the sound signature of the two headphone are significantly different, you will also have to think very carefully which one you prefer (best is to hear them, instead of hearing from us), as it is supposed to be your end game headphone. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #56 of 70
I had the LCD 2.2s for 30 days an ended up returning them due to comfort issues, even though I really enjoyed the signature - fantastic for EDM, which I listen to a lot of.

This is even after bending the headband to reduce clamping force.

The issue for me, I think, is that they are heavy enough and large enough that they place pressure on the head a significant distance from the ear itself, and I found this uncomfortable.

Strangely, I found the HE-400 (another largish ortho) very comfortable, maybe due to the pad material, though I disliked the signature.

To provide some context, I have a small male head with large (70mm) ears.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #57 of 70
My thoughts are this-- 

I'm an HD-800 owner

I recently auditioned the LCD2, LCD3, and HE-500 and HE6 from Hifiman.  I didn't feel as though comfort would dissuade me from purchasing any of those headphones.  I think it's much ado about nothing.  I was expecting huge comfort issues, and I simply didn't have any.

However, I was expecting the LCD3 and LCD 2 to open new sonic dimensions, particularly in bass.  Every review I've read proclaims the LCD's to outshine the HD800 in bass, and they do under average amplifiers.  

What I've found on my journey with the HD800, is that while indeed they CAN be driven by $200-$1200 dollar amplification (that's where I started), they don't sound all that terrific.  In fact, I'd steer you away from the HD800 if you're looking at a WA6, Soloist, Conductor or similar amp.

But when you get into amplification which is a MULTIPLE of the purchase price-- I now have a Woo WA5, with a massive tube upgrade, the result pushes them way ahead of the other headphones.  In fact-- the common complaints you read about the HD800 I've found clear up when you put them with terrific amplification.  But I'm talking amps 3X the purchase price of the HD800, when you include the cost of tubes.  The HD800 loves loads of clean power.  It's only a "good" headphone until you give it the right power.

If you're looking for an end-all be-all, the HD800 and the Stax 009 (which I still haven't heard-- I'm willing to give the reviews their just due) are the only two headphones at the top, but neither will do much for you with budget minded amplification.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #58 of 70
Quote:
If you're looking for an end-all be-all, the HD800 and the Stax 009 (which I still haven't heard-- I'm willing to give the reviews their just due) are the only two headphones at the top, but neither will do much for you with budget minded amplification.

You're forgetting other headphones as well that should be up there. The crap thing about the HD800 is it needs the right amp, the right amp don't come cheap. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:
You're forgetting other headphones as well that should be up there. The crap thing about the HD800 is it needs the right amp, the right amp don't come cheap. 

The OP was directing this as an LCD or HD800 question.  Obviously there are other choices.

I hear you on the expense (or at least my wallet hears you).  I've got probably $10,000 into my system just to get here. 

But it has amazing sound! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back