HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity
Aug 25, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #31 of 70
I directly compared the LCD-2 r2s, LCD-3s and HD-800s a few weeks ago (also library loaners).  The new LCD-2s and LCD-3s are pretty much the same as far as comfort, as they have changed the -2s to be like the -3s.  The HD-800s are cooler and more comfortable than either LCD, by a significant margin.  Nevertheless, I now own LCD-3s because I liked their sound better. I have no problems wearing them for several hours... my ears get a bit hot, and I notice the clamping force, particularly when I'm tired, but not to the point of me not wanting to listen to them. 

I'll get on my soapbox again.  If you are going put that kind of money into headphones, listen to them first.  Everybody's head is a different size, their tolerance for weight is different, their sensitivity to clamping force and heat is different... oh, and people's sonic preferences vary widely too.  These are all reasons why so many headphone companies stay in business.  The HD-800s and LCDs sound very different from each other, so don't assume that just because they are both expensive, high-fidelity equipment, you will like either/both of them. Try before you buy, at a meet, via a loaner library, whatever.  Otherwise you might be very disappointed with your very expensive purchase and will blame us, and we don't want that burden, do we folks?!  Oh wait, we're all on this site offering opinions and writing reviews... never mind... if you want comfort, buy the HD 800s.

Absolutely!

Like yourself, I also auditioned some LCD-2s and Some HD800s in my home last week. I found the Audeze's to put a clamping pressure along the front edge of its earpads which caused dis comfort along both my temples and upper cheekbones. I also found them to make my ears hot. The HD800s on the other hand were quite cool and comfortable. Sonically, I can see the attraction of the Auduzes. They are superior to the Sennheisers in a number of ways.

Areas in which the LCD-2 were sonically superior:

- relative efficiency Volume Scale: LCD-2 slightly louder for a setting than the HD800
- bass Thin vs. Solid: LCD-2 was much deeper than HD800
- midrange Recessed vs Forward: LCD-2 are more forward than HD800
- sound texture soft vs rough: LCD-2 are softer than HD800
- imaging Ambiguous vs Precise: LCD-2 have more precise instrument placement
- coloration Cold vs Warm: LCD-2 are warmer

the LCD-2 are more efficient (slightly, despite a large difference in impedance) with unsurpassed bass performance. The midrange is more forward and the overall texture is softer than the HD800s. Despite having a smaller soundstage I found the instrument placement within the image more precise. The effect of the deep bass, forward midrange and recessed high frequency is a warm sound.

Areas in which the HD800s were sonically superior:

- Treble Dark vs Bright: HD800 are brighter and portrayed natural shimmer in the mix
- resolution Blurred vs Magnifying: HD800 have higher resolution than LCD-2
- sound stage width Narrow vs Wide: HD800 have wider soundstage
- sound stage depth Shallow vs Deep: HD800 have a deeper soundstage
- dynamics Compressed vs. Natural: while the LCD-2 is quite dynamic, HD800 is less compressed sound presentation due to its less attenuated treble

The HD800s Are brighter with more sparkle and shimmer and have higher resolution in presenting detail. They have a larger soundstage and are less compressed than the LCD-2

In the end, I would choose the HD800s over the LCD-2s.  If they were more comfortable, it would have been a much more difficult decision. They were just uncomfortable to wear. 

I suppose I could get used to it but why when there are comfortable options. While the bass on the Audeze is unsurpassed, the Sennheisers are very good. I did not find the HD800s high frequency piercing as some find it. The areas where the LCD-2 were superior sonically (listed above), was not by that much over the HD800s. The areas where the HD800s were superior to the LCD-2s was by a large amount IMO.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:
Since this would probably be your 'end game rig', I would strongly recommend HD 800 Balanced Blue Dragon Cables + Woo WA22 (Sophia Princess 274B Rectifier/ Tung Sol 7236 Power Tubes/ Sylvania 6SN7 Drivers.

Now that would be a sweet setup, and definitely possible.

I was leaning toward the WA2 since it has the pre-amp option and I could pair it with a good amp and speakers, especially for the price.  But now I'm looking seriously at the WA22.  I'm a tube-noob, so I greatly appreciate your reply with a list of the specific models of each tube to pair it with.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #33 of 70
Now that would be a sweet setup, and definitely possible.

I was leaning toward the WA2 since it has the pre-amp option and I could pair it with a good amp and speakers, especially for the price.  But now I'm looking seriously at the WA22.  I'm a tube-noob, so I greatly appreciate your reply with a list of the specific models of each tube to pair it with.

Your welcome.
Forgot to add the most important part.
If you're going with the WA22, a balanced source is an absolute must to get the full potential out of the Woo.
All the best

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #34 of 70
Sorry for OT, but...
What is this loaner library I've read about on a few places in here? I'd love to be able to  compare the LCD2 with the LCD3 at home but only have the LCD2 available close by.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #35 of 70
The Cable Co has a loaner library now for headphones. The LCD 3 is a bit backed up but I'd contact them to get on the list anyway.

Quote:
Sorry for OT, but...
What is this loaner library I've read about on a few places in here? I'd love to be able to  compare the LCD2 with the LCD3 at home but only have the LCD2 available close by.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:
Sounds like the consensus is for the HD800's. 

I wouldn't say that. 
I am a long time owner of the HD 650. I auditioned both the HD 800 and the LCD 2 rev 2 at home. To me the LCD 2 sound very much like the HD 650 in characteristics but better in every respect: more bass, better clarity, smooth but more extended treble, good soundstage. Better in every respect except one: less comfortable, heavier.

The HD 800 is a completely different sounding headphone.  

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

I am a long time owner of the HD 650. I auditioned both the HD 800 and the LCD 2 rev 2 at home. To me the LCD 2 sound very much like the HD 650 in characteristics but better in every respect: more bass, better clarity, smooth but more extended treble, good soundstage. Better in every respect except one: less comfortable, heavier.

Yes. I went from the HD650 to the LCD-2 (Rev 1) and your description is accurate. The HD650 throws a very pleasing wodge of sound at you, whereas the Audeze separates the strands and reveals what the music is all about. I admire the 650 but could never go back to it; it simply isn't in the same class. Howver, the comfort factor is not to be ignored and could tip the balance for many people (not to mention the money factor!).

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #38 of 70
Interestingly,as I write this,I've just gone back to my Senns HD800 to compare to my LCD3s.
I'm playing the same piece of music as I did yesterday morning whilst listening to my Audezes- Bartoks Violin Concertos(okay not LCD2s but there are similarities to the LCD2s in design- and yes some of you really do want to listen to Classical music to give your cans a real work out!!)
So this thread is about comfort not sound?
(On the question of sound, the LCD3s have it easily!! Yesterday ,as I was answering my emails,I had to stop(so involving)-took me an hour to write a six line email!!)
On the aspect of comfort let me give you some thoughts.
On holiday,I would wear safari type gear,going back to work I had to put on a Suit or(for most of my working years)a Uniform.As I put the Uniform on that first morning I thought I was putting on a straight Jacket.However,I soon got used to it and thought nothing more about it.
Many years ago I had a car which had power steering whilst our 2nd car,which my Wife used regularly,didn't. If I drove the 2nd car,I couldn't park it because of the weight of steering however my Wife did it easily!
The moral of this is, Yes, initially the LCDs appear heavy and restrictive. But, you will get used to them as I did the Uniform or my Wife the car.
If there is one thing that you can't get used to with the LCDs is they do get warm?(temperature not sound)
I suggest,find Headphones which sound best(to you)after a time you won't notice the weight.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #39 of 70
I pick my HD800s over the LCD-2s for a variety of reasons, one of the most important is comfort. Long term comfort with the HD800s is amazing. You can read my review on both cans in my signature.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #40 of 70
I realize I'm jumping in quite late here, but hopefully this is a little additive. I've had the LCD2s for about six months now and find them quite comfortable. The slight difference is I ordered the "vegan" version with the brown fake suede ear and head pads.

This wasn't a political statement. After testing both, I found the brown pads actually added a lot in terms of comfort without negatively affecting the sound.

I did audition the 800s and agree they are incredibly light and comfortable. I ultimately went with the LCD-2s because I enjoyed the sound more, the 800s were a little too analytical. Plus, with the brown pads, most of my comfort concerns were eliminated.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #42 of 70
Hi Yoshi, wondering if you could explain a bit more about the difference in pads?  I'm surprised to hear that the suede version is more comfortable???

Sure, I'll try. So, the first thing you notice is that the pads are covered in a suede-like brown material rather than leather. It's a type of vegetable suede. Quite soft and comfortable. Second, the pads seem, at least on the ones I compared, to be a little softer than the standard leather ones. I also didn't notice any trade-offs in terms of heat, for example.

Taken together, the material and the softness helped to counter the clamping force making them easier to wear for an extended time. Don't get me wrong, you still know you're wearing these phones! But, I'm very happy I went with the "vegan" alternatives.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 70
Other than the weight factor, I found the LCD-2's comfortable all round. More than good enough for 1-2 hour listening sessions, which is usually the extent of my daily listening.

HD800's are superior in most comfort factor aspects though. If I had to find one niggle, it's the pads, which IMO doesn't have as much padding as it should. But as it is distributed so widely I rarely feel it unless it's over a really long listening session (which again, is very rare for me).

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #44 of 70
Can't add anything that hasn't already been said. The HD-800's are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. However, it all comes down to the sound. My ears personally couldn't take the treble, and HD-800 gave me ear aches. Loved everything about their sound, but my ears just couldn't take to them.

So while comfort certainly goes to the HD-800, just make sure you know what kind of sound signature you like.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #45 of 70
Along with some clamping at the beginning, which disappears with regular use and maybe a little stretching, the LCD 2's are quite heavy. if you try to lay down without a pillow they will sort of slump down your head, making the experience not very enjoyable. but I love them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back