HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #62 of 70
I bought my HD800 from a shop where they let me borrow the display model for a week, so I could make up my mind.The display model had been in the shop for at least 2 years and you could see that lots of people had been trying it on,but everything was in perfect working condition also the cable.so longevity of the 800 should be no problem.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #63 of 70
The HD800s are by far more comfortable and lighter than the LCD's and probably more comfortable than any headphone I have worn.  However longevity wise, I think the LCD's are more sturdy.  Although Audeze is a much newer company and their headphones hasn't stood the test of time like the HD800s have, HD800s have a known paint chipping problem.  That aside they feel fragile and delicate than the LCD's.  Also very hard to lay down wearing them in comparison to the LCDs.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #64 of 70
I have the HD700 which are really comfortable and really nice, and I've tried the HD800 and I wouldn't think they are any more comfortable, they have bigger drivers and of course bigger caps, so if you've got huge ears you shouldn't have problems.

I've tried the LCD-2's and they were really comfortable I could see myself wearing them at least a couple of hours at a time and putting them on the table only when I really need to let my ears get a breathing or want to go to make myself something to drink, sitting for too long is really bad...

Some of you peoples concern was if the company will stand the test of time, now you should look at it that way too, if Audeze goes bust, you will have some of the best currently available headphones, and if you wanted to sell them, you could make a huge profit, cause their availability won't be so good :D THINK ABOUT IT!

Though I wouldn't bet on Audeze going bust ANY time soon, if they are making such great products.

Back to comfort, think about it, ANY headphone can be good in comfort, even the least comfortable headphones, the question is to whom. Comparing headphones is like comparing clothes, you wear both, but the same person might not be comfortable in the same clothes. So stop saying silly things like HD800 is so much more comfortable. And LCD-2's might be "heavy" but I didn't feel any weight difference to be honest.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 70
Seriously, why do you need to call someone silly when he said that HD800s are more comfortable than the LCDs when he was just relating to what he experienced. It is actually no different from you when you said that they are equally comfortable. In fact, I will say you are in the minority to say both are equally comfortable, after reading the number of people who gave up the LCDs due to comfort and driver failure issues. If I read what you said and buy the LCDs thinking they are equally comfortable, I will be greatly disappointed as well. You are right to say everyone feels differently, so the best is to try out yourself. That's no need to belittle others.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #66 of 70
Seriously, why do you need to call someone silly when he said that HD800s are more comfortable than the LCDs when he was just relating to what he experienced. It is actually no different from you when you said that they are equally comfortable. In fact, I will say you are in the minority to say both are equally comfortable, after reading the number of people who gave up the LCDs due to comfort and driver failure issues. If I read what you said and buy the LCDs thinking they are equally comfortable, I will be greatly disappointed as well. You are right to say everyone feels differently, so the best is to try out yourself. That's no need to belittle others.

Just like when I bought my AKG K240 and K271 Mk2, they said it was the most comfortable headphones and I was silly enough to buy them, yeah... I can't wear them for more than an hour before my head explodes.

I also have the ATH-M50's and at first I thought they were quite comfortable, then when I bought them I felt discomfort after an hour+ but still not the same discomfort as the AKG cans, and after a bit my ears/head got used to it so it was fine. But same can't be said about the AKGs... I'd be happy to sell them (ATM I only have the k271mk2) :)

Why I said the LCD-2's are comfortable is because they cover my ears wholly and even though I haven't tried it for such a long time as 3 hours straight, but like I said, you can't wear 3 hours straight, you'd go mental, with ANY headphones. If 24/7 comfort wearing headphones is your priority, get yourself a pair of good speakers. If you people are really wearing them headphones for over a couple of hours straight then I don't know!

Also I didn't mean silly as something bad, more of an innocent kind of way.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #68 of 70
One benefit of the HD800s is their accommodation of giant eared people like me. It simply has to do with the shape and size of the enclosure/pads.

That's what make the Senns so special for me. You can almost forget about them, and I love their low clamping force.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #69 of 70

Just like when I bought my AKG K240 and K271 Mk2, they said it was the most comfortable headphones and I was silly enough to buy them, yeah... I can't wear them for more than an hour before my head explodes.

I also have the ATH-M50's and at first I thought they were quite comfortable, then when I bought them I felt discomfort after an hour+ but still not the same discomfort as the AKG cans, and after a bit my ears/head got used to it so it was fine. But same can't be said about the AKGs... I'd be happy to sell them (ATM I only have the k271mk2) :)

Why I said the LCD-2's are comfortable is because they cover my ears wholly and even though I haven't tried it for such a long time as 3 hours straight, but like I said, you can't wear 3 hours straight, you'd go mental, with ANY headphones. If 24/7 comfort wearing headphones is your priority, get yourself a pair of good speakers. If you people are really wearing them headphones for over a couple of hours straight then I don't know!

Also I didn't mean silly as something bad, more of an innocent kind of way.

The interesting thing about what you said relating to comfort is that the LCD 2s are actually pretty comfy, after break in and adjustment, but only for the first 1-3 hours. after 3 hours the weight actually starts to slowly make your neck slightly sore, and if the headband is not broken in yet, then the clamping force will start making your cheeks sore.

I also think you might underestimate how long people wear headphones for. I know theres a good portion of people who either have multiple pairs, or only use headphones to listen to a few albums of music and then be done with them. but I also know a large amount of people, including myself, wear headphones for long consecutive periods of time because it is the main source for audio when doing anything on the computer. Meaning youtube, netflix, dvds/blu-rays, skype, and of course music on foobar or something. Now this doesnt meant its like this every single day, but definitely multiple times a week, headphones are being worn for good 5 hour consecutive periods of time, with short breaks in between for food and whatnot. And with the LCD 2 in particular, the comfort issues are really a lot more present when it comes to these longer sessions of use, and where having a headphone that can feel comfortable after all these hours becomes very important. I considering selling my LCD 2 just because of these issues. but I'm giving myself more time to see if I get used to them more or my neck gets stronger lol. Its too bad there really isnt any headphone that sounds just like an Audeze but has the comfort of an HD800. Maybe in the near future planar technology will be light enough to achieve this.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #70 of 70
LCD comfort relies heavily on your head shape/size. I think people with wider heads will have clamping discomfort. The weight discomfort is also affected by your neck strength/stamina. I just received my LCD-2 today and have been listening to them for 3 hours (they sound awesome, btw) with no discomfort. I have a medium-sized head and I wear a motorcycle helmet almost daily so my neck is up for it though.

HD800 seems more universally comfortable though. It would probably also be more comfortable for very long sessions. I've also heard of issues with having their LCD break down more often than I'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back