HD800 and T1 musings...
Feb 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #901 of 1,024
I'm not sure if the Naim is the best match for the LCDS, I've heard there is some clipping (not quite powerful enough). The Naim works fantastic on a HD700/800 to my ears though. I own one, so I'm quite intimate with this piece as well.

Finally someone with a DAC-V1.  How far up the volume range do you need to go with the 800's? I'm wondering if there's enough juice behind the amp to drive the T1's sufficiently. 600ohm vs 300 of the 800's...

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #902 of 1,024
Finally someone with a DAC-V1.  How far up the volume range do you need to go with the 800's? I'm wondering if there's enough juice behind the amp to drive the T1's sufficiently. 600ohm vs 300 of the 800's...
it depends on the source. The 600ohm T1 is actually easier to drive than the 350(?) ohm hd700. You'll be fine with the 800s, very musical no clipping. The naim is a great pair with the Senns. (To my ears)

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #903 of 1,024
it depends on the source. The 600ohm T1 is actually easier to drive than the 350(?) ohm hd700. You'll be fine with the 800s, very musical no clipping. The naim is a great pair with the Senns. (To my ears)

+1

600ohm needs less amps but is dependent on voltage swings to drive the membranes. Any stationary wall plugged DAC/AMP device should be able to drive them. It's portable devices that you need to worry about, that's rarely a good mix with 600ohm headphones...

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #904 of 1,024

+1

600ohm needs less amps but is dependent on voltage swings to drive the membranes. Any stationary wall plugged DAC/AMP device should be able to drive them. It's portable devices that you need to worry about, that's rarely a good mix with 600ohm headphones...

The portable ALO Audio MKllB+ drives both the T1 and the HD800.  
Agreed, the T1 is easier to drive than the HD800.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #905 of 1,024
Well guys, my T1's arrived yesterday. I managed 45 minutes of listening before heading to bed. I have to say that the concerns I had based on comments read on here have diminished to nothing. I should've realised that negative comments are super critical, these are after all very expensive headphones. Needless to say that they are everything I hoped for. I'm looking forward to my kids heading to bed tonight so I can get another couple of hours in. One happy customer

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #906 of 1,024
  Well guys, my T1's arrived yesterday. I managed 45 minutes of listening before heading to bed. I have to say that the concerns I had based on comments read on here have diminished to nothing. I should've realised that negative comments are super critical, these are after all very expensive headphones. Needless to say that they are everything I hoped for. I'm looking forward to my kids heading to bed tonight so I can get another couple of hours in. One happy customer

The T1"s are outstanding.  Outside my HD800, the T1 is head and shoulders better than my 10 other HP's.
The 1st HP I own that caused my son to ask "who gets those in the will", nuff said.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #907 of 1,024

Yes, there's always some hyperbole present when people are passionate about something.  That being said, more expensive doesn't always mean better, or at least not for everyone.  A lot if not all depends on your musical preference and individual taste, there's no such thing as one best solution for everyone.

I've only auditioned the T1's for an hour but at the time I owned the DT-880's in 600 Ohm version (which, incidentally, I'd only recommend to people with a solid amp setup, else you're much better off with the 250 Ohm I think).  Damping factor shouldn't be an issue then except perhaps with some tube amps.  To my taste and for my music genre (classical) I have to say that although the 880's were very good in terms of price/quality, I never really was in love with the treble (and, in retrospect and making an unfair comparison with some vastly more expensive headphones I own now, with their transparency).  The T1's I found better in respect to transparency and speed but still, the treble issue remained, I guess it's the BD 'house signature' so I didn't purchase them.  In general I consider the HD-800 more to my liking on all fronts although amp matching can be a pain (I was very lucky with my Violectric though, and they sound glorious on a good tube amp).  Only criticism is their extreme rendition of detail (older recordings are a pain) and still to some extent the treble.  

It's a (costly) journey into audiophile land, I've since moved to the HifiMan HE-6 as my overall favourite except for large orchestral, there the HD-800 still reign supreme.  Enjoy the music!

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #908 of 1,024

Ha...I knew you would like them.  Congratulations. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #909 of 1,024

Ha...I knew you would like them.  Congratulations. 

Yes - the T1's are very, very good.

I prefer the HD800's myself but I won't argue with anyone who sides with the T1's.

The T1's are more forgiving and not so super-picky about source and amplification.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #911 of 1,024
Seeing as you still have the HD800's and sold the T1's then I see how this went 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #915 of 1,024
  Between these 2 which would be people say perform best with soundtracks and watching movies

The T1 will give you a more impactful bass. The HD800 will give you a more expansive soundstage if you are using a player with Dolby Headphone. I generally use my HD800 for movies because of the extreme comfort and clarity of the sound particularly voices. If you want more expansive bass the T1,s can produce a more visceral bass with movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back