HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
Oct 3, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #257 of 278
Hopefully, there will be some more to share soon. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for another version (or any version to be easily obtainable). Shouldn't be that hard and I hope there will be some news soon.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #258 of 278
Has no one tried ear pad swapping?

The HD800 ear pads are uniquely shaped, but can't something close be stretched to fit?
Or just tied on or glued.

Wonder how the sound would change with leather earpads.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #259 of 278
Has no one tried ear pad swapping?

The HD800 ear pads are uniquely shaped, but can't something close be stretched to fit?
Or just tied on or glued.

Wonder how the sound would change with leather earpads.

Be the 1st to find out!

JJ

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #260 of 278
I can't say I can agree with the animosity towards SAA mods, as it's your choice to have anyone do something
to your headphones. It's not really reasonable to be angry after you discovered you could do the mods yourself, it's called free enterprise ! !

I am of the opinion that it is the owners choice if they want to throw money away, because it really is their money not yours or mine,
So they should be able to throw it away without criticism...
I dont care about how expensive it is...

My point, and the reason I personally was angered, was looking at the last pic of the mod done...

It was a sloppy unprofessional job..

The Metal ring was removed, which was not the issue,
BUT in doing so, TWO SCREWS were missing,
Leaving the driver improperly secured..!

AND then, some big square nuts they placed(!), ruining the plastic grove..
It was a mutilated mess in my eyes.

Go over to that thread to see the pic.

For the money paid,
I woulf expect to see a dampened ring, or washers shaped to fit the groove,
And not any screws missing, causing undue stress on driver..
It just looked like a nightmare.

I also feel the endorphen cable is a ripoff as well.
When I handled it,
It feels like an extremely thin wire inside a jumbo nylon jacket.
For the HD800 I can get a huge Draug2 cable for much less and will give better bass..
In fact the endorphen cable feel like just one strand of the Draug2:

The only cable I know that is as thin as an endorphen cable,
Is the silver dragon cable, which uses a huge thick coating to beef up the actual size...

Anyways, like I say, if you want to throw big bucks around thats your perrogative and is not my issue.
My issue was the poor installation of ONE buyer.

I would HOPE assume not all of them were done this sloppy.

I came back to this thread for any updates but see no news here.

I read there is more being done so I must now find out where..

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #261 of 278
We get it.
You have a 'problem' with SAA.

What you call "throw money away" and "sloppy unprofessional job" and "Leaving the driver improperly secured" etc. etc., just tell me, again, you don't get it.
Case in point is, these changes are PART of the mod, along with several others.

We get it, you will never like this path to improving the 800's, period.

My advice is let it go.
Unless you enjoy being angry.
I for one would rather pay attention to what brings me enjoyment…

Speaking for myself and perhaps others of us who have '"thrown our money away" for a "sloppy unprofessional job", ""Leaving the driver improperly secured" etc. etc., I/we are quite happy with the results, thank you very much.

And I don't believe, for even 1 second, that the results were not worth every penny.

If you can achieve satisfactory results via other methods so much the better for you.

But your insults and tedious jabbing at those who DO like these results is becoming tiresome.

Again,
Let It Go.
Or not.
Your choice.

I for one will just turn up the volume just a bit and get sucked into the music, which is simply sublime.

Peace, Out…

JJ

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #263 of 278
Equalizers can be used to a certain degree, however (surprising at it may seem at first blush) their effect is less subtle than the physical mod. Also the mod is more about controlling resonance than changing frequency response; the latter is a desired side effect of the former.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #264 of 278
Any Belgians, Dutch or (northern) French here that could advise me on buying materials for anaxilus modding of my HD800? (What foam or felt? Where to buy it?) Anyone experienced in this or willing to try it out as well? Thx!

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #265 of 278
I have experimented with Velcro, thinking to try a material that breaks the waves rather than absorbing (I don't know if it is a right thinking...).
I used to height 5 cm. and the softer part. Not finding larger I cut into two halves. I made this change by only a few days (so I need more time to be sure) but it seems to work well, with a good balance between reducing sibilance and a very little loss of highs.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #267 of 278
The "Cardas Clear" headphone cable for the HD800 has solved my acoustic issues with this headphone.

Is the Cardas also SE? Or did you go balanced with it?
I'm also looking for a balanced cable. Anyone experienced in going balanced with HD800 + Auralic Taurus MK2? I was looking into a balanced Cardas cable as well. But then how much of the expected difference would amount to the cable, how much to the balanced and more powerful drive?
Yeah I know, buy Cardas balanced AND SE... but my wallet just ran away by only reading this ^^

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #268 of 278
My set up is HD 800 headphones into Cardas Clear 4-pin XLR cable termination into an Oppo HA-1 into a Clearlink USB cable into a Dell desktop running mostly high-resolution audio files through the JRiver Media Player. The headphones were purchased used. The Cardas and the Clear Link are broken in now. I have no complaints.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #269 of 278
My set up is HD 800 headphones into Cardas Clear 4-pin XLR cable termination into an Oppo HA-1 into a Clearlink USB cable into a Dell desktop running mostly high-resolution audio files through the JRiver Media Player. The headphones were purchased used. The Cardas and the Clear Link are broken in now. I have no complaints.

The "Cardas Clear" headphone cable for the HD800 has solved my acoustic issues with this headphone.

I suppose the "acoustic issues" you had were with the stock single ended cable? So maybe the balanced drive of your HA-1 fixed these issues, not the cable as such...
You would have to try the single ended Cardas to isolate this. What's your take on the matter? Can anybody with experience with this chime in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back