HD650 vs Grado 225
Dec 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO after reading this thread - you'd be best off with BOTH the Grado SR 225's AND the Sennheiser HD 650's. Both have their own unique sound signature and both would nicely compliment a range of music styles and environments - grab 'em both!

That's what I've done...And boy am I pleased. I haven't got my SR 225s yet; but I look forward to getting them within the next 24 hrs.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #33 of 35
I have the little dot mkii as well, paired with the little dot dac ii and grado sr125.  They sound great; i put the GS1000 pads on the sr125's.  This pushed the drivers out and made the soundstage huge.  The senn HD650 arrived 2 days ago and are not broken in but they sound, well not broken in yet.  They do make the grado sound bright.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 35

Quote:
I have the little dot mkii as well, paired with the little dot dac ii and grado sr125.  They sound great; i put the GS1000 pads on the sr125's.  This pushed the drivers out and made the soundstage huge.  The senn HD650 arrived 2 days ago and are not broken in but they sound, well not broken in yet.  They do make the grado sound bright.

I bet they started sounding sort of lame though. When I put my jumbo's on, the SS definitely increases at the expense what makes a Grado a Grado IMO. They increase comfort quite a bit and they are fine for acoustic stuff but you still lose something. I dont regret buying them but they are definitely a mixed bag.

BTW this thread is three years old...just sayin, but welcome to head fi
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #35 of 35
I have both the SR225e and the HD 650. They've both been recabled by Amplifier Surgery. I'll probably spend more time burning in the HD 650's, they do so muffled at first. However, the Grados just sound more exciting, like a live concert, but the HD 650's are very warm, and probably could use an extra boost with a preamp to add some color in certain parts.

Funny thing that was said here... I don't regret having either of them. If I want to enjoy a live session sort of experience, the Grados are very exciting, but if I want to just sit and work while enjoying clean, clear recordings the Sennheisers are perfect!

But if I had to go down to one model... I'd probably sell them both and get a better Grado model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back