HD650 VS DT880/600 VS DT990/600
Aug 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 35
I think they sound "fine" from an ipod, but you will miss so much from what they can do.

But yeah, feed them tube power! They crave it!

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 35
hello! are you also a member of the forum there? 
smile.gif

in that personal review i pitted the hd650 vs the dt990 because i felt they had more in common to each other, namely the big bass 
smile.gif

the hd650 scored better for the tracks i chose. but these headphones have peculiarities:
the hd650 has this great way of portraying vocals and strings and the piano. the dt990 seems to accentuate the cymbals and bass section over the vocals. the dt880, well, just sounds awesome 
biggrin.gif
 it doesn't seem to emphasize anything out, but the overall sound is very pleasing to me. as Zombie_X stated: perfect balance. that sums up the dt880 nicely in comparison to the dt990 and hd650...

the dt990 has its own merits vs the hd650, namely the clearer overall sound, better detail resolution, better bass...

so it would boil down to your preferences. and if you like to listen to different genres, like i do, the dt880 might be your best bet out of these choices... 

can you audition these cans to hear what's best for your tastes? 
smile.gif

Quote:
Hey maruzen ! u seem to have the three magnificients.

I've read your listening impressions at headphiles.org (I even tried The Cure - Friday i'm in love with my HD555 and...bleh, not horrible, but not cool), I had the impression u leaned towards HD650 more. 

I've almost have DT990 put out of the competition by now...almost (i like bass, but not at expenses of middles....)

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 35
I am a former HD555 and a current DT880/600 user, I can say that these two are of course TOO different, just sounding in the opposite directions. I ignore the lower level sound quality of the HD555s in order for you to easily understand different frequence responses of those headphones.

Because you say you think HD555s are muddy, first and foremost, if you do like some coloured/full midrange, HD555 does that. HD600 also does that in its own class, with much more accuracy of course; but ask yourself whether you really like coloured mids - either sometimes muddy or not (as a matter of perspective). If your answer is no, then DT880/600 comes as an alternative having a very transparent/neutral but somewhat colorless mids. It does not lack anything, but especially centre-mids are not as full as a HD6XX or HD555s, therefore sometimes suppressed by the high frequencies. I feel that lack of color makes a much more transparent sound, which is also a solution for the issue that you call "congested sound". 

As to the bass anemic sound of the HD555s, I think you'll not be dissapointed with any neutral headphones, including the upper level Sennheisers: HD600 or HD650, as the bass in HD555s is actually too low for Sennheiser sound signature as well. DT880/600 also have sufficient bass in terms of both quality and quantity. If you feel you really love bass frequences more than midrange or highs, you may inspect HD650 and DT990/600 more seriously than HD600 and DT880/600, but what I personally prefer is certainly the latter. 

By the way, if you are confused with the difference between DT880/600 and DT880/250, I shall note that I use DT880/250 as well, and I believe it is nowhere near DT880/600. There is an excellent discussion topic about that in the forum, you can check if you need more details about that. 

Good luck!
Quote:

There seems to be too much love for the HD650. I only am feared of finding that the HD650 are  aslightly improved HD555, but all the happy people with their HD650 caught my attention.

Any former HD555 now HD650 users out there?
Any former HD555 now Beyer users out there?

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
I am a former HD555 and a current DT880/600 user, I can say that these two are of course TOO different, just sounding in the opposite directions. I ignore the lower level sound quality of the HD555s in order for you to easily understand different frequence responses of those headphones.

Because you say you think HD555s are muddy, first and foremost, if you do like some coloured/full midrange, HD555 does that. HD600 also does that in its own class, with much more accuracy of course; but ask yourself whether you really like coloured mids - either sometimes muddy or not (as a matter of perspective). If your answer is no, then DT880/600 comes as an alternative having a very transparent/neutral but somewhat colorless mids. It does not lack anything, but especially centre-mids are not as full as a HD6XX or HD555s, therefore sometimes suppressed by the high frequencies. I feel that lack of color makes a much more transparent sound, which is also a solution for the issue that you call "congested sound". 

As to the bass anemic sound of the HD555s, I think you'll not be dissapointed with any neutral headphones, including the upper level Sennheisers: HD600 or HD650, as the bass in HD555s is actually too low for Sennheiser sound signature as well. DT880/600 also have sufficient bass in terms of both quality and quantity. If you feel you really love bass frequences more than midrange or highs, you may inspect HD650 and DT990/600 more seriously than HD600 and DT880/600, but what I personally prefer is certainly the latter. 

By the way, if you are confused with the difference between DT880/600 and DT880/250, I shall note that I use DT880/250 as well, and I believe it is nowhere near DT880/600. There is an excellent discussion topic about that in the forum, you can check if you need more details about that. 

Good luck!

Thanks.

I have a little problem. I don't really know if i want colored or neutral midrange. Mostly because I don't know if i can tell the difference in words. 

I have not heard different headphones to tell what is more neutral or more colorful. I feel insintively attracted to words like "warm", "musical", but these are only words , maybe my brain wants "transparency" and "neutrality". I really want to learn technical language to tell  what i want with precission.

I can say i think i like more more "analog" sound with good bass (but not overwhelming). I want my sound to sound similar than my old hi-fi (YamahaGX-5, don't really know if anybody knows this) , now music sound much more digital, and with less bass and musicality, but i said, i dont know wich sonic quality is the adequate for my needing.

Sorry if i made a mess of this post, but i'm a bit stuck.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 35
I would want to include a decent Grado pair something like the SR325is,will keep the music running until you get your DAC/AMP without the need for one.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
I would want to include a decent Grado pair something like the SR325is,will keep the music running until you get your DAC/AMP without the need for one.

I've got the project of buying a Second hand Grado too, but i was thinking on something less expensive (sr80i,only to feel the Grado sound). Anyway once i choose the HD650 or DT880, i dont want to wait much before buying the DAC/AMP or the AMP ans then the DAC

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
hello! are you also a member of the forum there? 
smile.gif

in that personal review i pitted the hd650 vs the dt990 because i felt they had more in common to each other, namely the big bass 
smile.gif

the hd650 scored better for the tracks i chose. but these headphones have peculiarities:
the hd650 has this great way of portraying vocals and strings and the piano. the dt990 seems to accentuate the cymbals and bass section over the vocals. the dt880, well, just sounds awesome 
biggrin.gif
 it doesn't seem to emphasize anything out, but the overall sound is very pleasing to me. as Zombie_X stated: perfect balance. that sums up the dt880 nicely in comparison to the dt990 and hd650...

the dt990 has its own merits vs the hd650, namely the clearer overall sound, better detail resolution, better bass...

so it would boil down to your preferences. and if you like to listen to different genres, like i do, the dt880 might be your best bet out of these choices... 

can you audition these cans to hear what's best for your tastes? 
smile.gif

No, i'm not member, but i read the review. I cannot audition then cans, i live in a small town with no good audio stores. 

Is said than the DT880 are a bit boring, what can u say about it?

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #25 of 35
probably because of the signature. the dt880 does not have the aggressive sound like the alessandro ms2i and grado sr660. also, compared to the hd650 and dt990, the bass is lower in quantity...

personally, i do not find them boring. they are usually the first cans i reach for, and i use them more than the hd650 and dt990. the sound is just more pleasing to my ears. also, as musical as the dt990 and hd650 might be, i get tired of the presentation after a few days. it's a personal preference though. i'm sure others here will have their own listening inclinations...

if at all, the detail resolution of these cans aren't lulling me to sleep 
smile.gif

----

your situation is rather difficult having not able to audition these headphones. though i was able to demo the dt880 250 ohms, it wasn't a legit audition since i was barely hearing anything from my sansa clip. so technically, i just bought them on pure impulse at that time. i bought the dt880 and dt990 600 ohm variants brand new without having an initial listen. i just based it on the recommendations of the guys on our local forum and the impressions of enthusiasts here. glad it worked out...

so it will be a leap of faith for you too i guess? 
smile.gif

Quote:
No, i'm not member, but i read the review. I cannot audition then cans, i live in a small town with no good audio stores. 

Is said than the DT880 are a bit boring, what can u say about it?

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
probably because of the signature. the dt880 does not have the aggressive sound like the alessandro ms2i and grado sr660. also, compared to the hd650 and dt990, the bass is lower in quantity...

personally, i do not find them boring. they are usually the first cans i reach for, and i use them more than the hd650 and dt990. the sound is just more pleasing to my ears. also, as musical as the dt990 and hd650 might be, i get tired of the presentation after a few days. it's a personal preference though. i'm sure others here will have their own listening inclinations...

if at all, the detail resolution of these cans aren't lulling me to sleep 
smile.gif

----

your situation is rather difficult having not able to audition these headphones. though i was able to demo the dt880 250 ohms, it wasn't a legit audition since i was barely hearing anything from my sansa clip. so technically, i just bought them on pure impulse at that time. i bought the dt880 and dt990 600 ohm variants brand new without having an initial listen. i just based it on the recommendations of the guys on our local forum and the impressions of enthusiasts here. glad it worked out...

so it will be a leap of faith for you too i guess? 
smile.gif

Absolutely.

When i was sure of discarding the DT990, I'm rethinking it.

I guess i'm gonna read some more and make my decision in one or two days.. who knows...

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
[rant] I really hated the HD650, but love the HD600. The HD600 is a superior headphone and is far more accurate sounding than the HD650.The HD600 is also brighter with clearer mids, and less bass. The HD650 was designed to be a smoother, bassier sounding headphone. To me the HD650 is far too smooth/muffled sounding and has too much bass (even more than the DT990 IMO). And I mainly amped it with my Roc in balanced mode and the "veil" was still there. I also tried with my WA3+ and the "veil" still remained. To me there is no "veil" it's just that these headphones have treble roll off and a lively/bright sounding amp can help to change this. [/rant]

Now the DT990/600Ohm does not suffer from recessed mids like the 250Ohm version does albeit they aren't as prominent as my HD600. The DT990 is a bass monster for sure, but the bass is very controlled and goes very deep. One thing is that the DT990 has more treble than the DT880.

The DT880/600Ohm has the prefect balance. It's like a brighter, faster version of the HD600 and even has a bigger soundstage. The DT880's bass is incredible and goes deep and has lots of texture. The bass is also integrated into the sound more than the DT990.

I would want to  know if u prefer the DT990/600 or the DT880/600. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #28 of 35
I don't prefer one over the other at all. I find them equal actually, just different sound signatures. I've been using the DT880 more, but I go to the DT990 when the recording is bass anemic or I want more slam.

Quote:

I would want to  know if u prefer the DT990/600 or the DT880/600. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 35
The DT990/600s have more bass than is strictly neutral, but its very well done.  Tight, deep, and stepping all over the mids.  I found them far too bright though.  Even if you like your treble a lot, it still makes strings sound a bit unnatural.  It works well with hip hop and electronica though.

I think the HD650s greatest strengths are its tone and smoothness.  Instruments sound incredibly lifelike, and the sound is very non fatiguing.  They do well with just about everything, but at the same time don't really excel in any one area.  Their performance doesn't jump out and grab you right away like the 990s do, but the more I listen to them, the more I seem to like them.  I think that's why some people don't like them.  They're not an "in your face" sort of 'phone.

I don't have much experience with the DT880s.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 35
For me, the 650 really excels at acoustic jazz and they require more money to properly amplify than the Beyer. For your stated preferences in music, I'd go for the 990/600. Very good cans and it won't cost a fortune to get them amplified to take full advantage of their sound. They have great bass with amplified music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back