HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Oct 4, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #481 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but for every 650-ish buyer (assuming they buy new), there are literally hundreds of Soccer Moms buying $20-50 headphones for themselves, for their kids who lost their earbuds again, as stocking-stuffers for Christmas, birthday presents, etc. Then there are hundreds upon thousands of college kids, high school kids, etc. that only buy in this price range. The consumer headphone market for AKG, now Harmon-Kardon, is only a blip on their product radar, and, as with AKG, the consumer market for Beyer, AT, etc. is not where they make their money. It's just the way it is.

If it's any consolation, you are highly prized here.
biggrin.gif

I did not say I'm worth all Soccer Moms, but a lot.

Did I see you mention you had an R10? You're an odd 'Soccer Mom'.:p

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #482 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now imagine that they probably sell 100 low priced headphones for every 580/600/650 they sell and you'll see why they didn't bow down to Head-Fi's awesome market pressure.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #483 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did I see you mention you had an R10? You're an odd 'Soccer Mom'.:p

LOL. Maybe that's because I'm only a Soccer Aunt. If I had kids, they'd all be decked out in Etys, Yuin PK1s and Rockhopper Mini3s for their outdoor excursions, and at home, they'd have an ample choice of sound signatures from Grados to AKGs to Senns, or whatever they liked best with, at minimum, one good dac and amp for each. I couldn't afford R10s! Of course, I'd force at least one or two of my offspring into DIY, so maybe down the line I'd break even on cables and amps. Acutally, I can't wait for my niece and nephew to get older. My brother may kill me, but they'll have the best sound gear of any kids on the block.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #484 of 509
Quote:

LOL. Maybe that's because I'm only a Soccer Aunt. If I had kids, they'd all be decked out in Etys, Yuin PK1s and Rockhopper Mini3s for their outdoor excursions, and at home, they'd have an ample choice of sound signatures from Grados to AKGs to Senns, or whatever they liked best with, at minimum, one good dac and amp for each. I couldn't afford R10s! Of course, I'd force at least one or two of my offspring into DIY, so maybe down the line I'd break even on cables and amps. Acutally, I can't wait for my niece and nephew to get older. My brother may kill me, but they'll have the best sound gear of any kids on the block.

If only you were MY aunt
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #485 of 509
Quote:

My daughter (seven years old) wonders why she doesn't get a nice setup like dad has. She gets SO excited when I get a new set of headphones. I told her it might be a nice high school graduation project.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #486 of 509
Why couldn't you guys be in my family, I just get questioned and badgered by my expenses. "How much did those headphone cost again?! What are they Bose?" I'm not dissing on Bose, but it's just what my family associates with quality. If only they would take the time to listen to the music though...my goodness how it great it sounds lol.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #487 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happymonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why couldn't you guys be in my family, I just get questioned and badgered by my expenses. "How much did those headphone cost again?! What are they Bose?" I'm not dissing on Bose, but it's just what my family associates with quality. If only they would take the time to listen to the music though...my goodness how it great it sounds lol.

Haha, same boat here. "You bought a turntable?"
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #488 of 509
My wife laughs at all my headphones hanging on the bed headboard, and my kids don't ask for any headphones that cost more than $20 - So, I AM THE LUCKY one because I don't have to buy 5 of everything...

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #489 of 509
Alot of my friends,and also people i work with do not think anything i own sounds any better than their ibuds or one-piece table-top stereos with boomy 80hz bass.
I have a friend that swears his Onkyo will blow away my Bryston, and the SR80's are "too clear", he doesnt like them. Yet again his ibuds are the best....lol. They ask how it can possibly sound good without an EQ. "How can you set it then? Your home system has no bass!" Oh,but his JVC plastic one-piece glorified desk-top boombox has bass...lol, after all its 400 WATTS!!!
They actually believe those plastic things are 400 watts...lol !!!

People at work say " Why did you buy a Zune instead of the real thing (ipod) if youre so into having the best?"
Im not saying an Ipod is bad at all....im just showing that all they know is Ipods,Bose,Onkyo, and the music player on their cell phones. Its ok, one day theyre gonna go to Best Buy and buy the best they got and blow me away and watch me cry...lol!

Maybe this is another reason why they feel like this :

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-7877_7-229-101.html They must be the best right? Hey, its CNET!!!

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #490 of 509
CNET really isn't great for...anything. For the past couple years, the Samsung i730 had been the most versatile pdaphone in the US, but the reviewer didn't really understand the concept, and rated it badly...

I take CNET's reviews with a grain of salt. They're good to find out if something is really bad, though.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #491 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CNET really isn't great for...anything. For the past couple years, the Samsung i730 had been the most versatile pdaphone in the US, but the reviewer didn't really understand the concept, and rated it badly...

I take CNET's reviews with a grain of salt. They're good to find out if something is really bad, though.

But But....... They realized Bose is the best though! They must be very educated in high-end audio,obviously! Theyre professionals.....theyre theyre...CNET!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #492 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-7877_7-229-101.html

Oh god.

I remember a review a while back where iBuds had won a place at about #6. The main jist of their placing was: They sound rubbish; but they're cheap, practical and look good[are white].
plainface.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #493 of 509
My take on this is that our (& I mean Head-fi, Headroom et al) influence goes beyond the monetary revenue generated by the high end phones we buy or upgrade towards. I would submit that the high end market is very similar to many others that apply similar principles. A company like Sennheiser develops a high end headphone, expensive in R&D cost & expensive to buy. This headphone sells in small numbers so cannot generate the revenue to support a large company. So why do it?

Like F1 cars, the high end technology eventually trickles down to the mainstream market to form part of the story that Tyll was talking about. The story leads us all to the understanding that some of the same technology/knowhow in the HD650 is in the PX100, you only have to look at the language used in the marketing of the mainstream phones to see this in action. The Head-fi community helps to evangelize this story as a relatively large percentage of us 'buy high' right away or rapidly upgrade towards the pinnacle products in the range. We help fund the high end products & act as an informed customer clinic and test house. Our combined social networks represent a far greater value proposition than just the active forum members. Companies like Sennheiser did not build reputation through internet forums but we are now certainly part of the process for maintaining that reputation.

That reputation often involves other members of a value chain, companies like Headroom. I would submit that our value to Headroom (as an example) is more significant than to Sennheiser directly. People like Tyll are far closer to and contribute more to this forum than the larger corporate entities as he represents an informed supplier and enthusiast at the same time. Our collective value engaged Tyll, Tyll's value to Sennheiser was able to clarify this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif
. Quid pro quo.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #494 of 509
Quote:

Heh heh heh, soccer aunts.....alllllll right!

quagmire_4.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #495 of 509
Quote:

Please note I am up for adoption
k1000smile.gif

P.S I clean up after my-self
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back