HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Sep 27, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #331 of 509
Alright, I just got off the phone with a sales rep at Headroom about this issue. He mentioned that he only got one email, probably from another head-fi'er, about this issue and that I was the first to call about this. Basically, he said he would check with someone from Sennheiser and to call him back on Monday, leaving me with his extension.

The waiting game continues I suppose. The guy at Headroom was really nice though, and I can see myself buying all my future headphone stuff from there again.

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #332 of 509
Please make sure you tell us what you find out.

Headroom is a GREAT outfit to deal with - even if their products aren't always the best for some, or the best value, you get lots of other good stuff...................sometimes it seems best to just get a good Headroom amp and good Headroom support, and focus on the music!
600smile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #334 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had originally purchased a pair of 595s back in late August, and when I returned them in exchange for the 650s it was about the 9th of September. I'd say the likelihood of our pairs were from the same batch is pretty high, but one can't say for certain. Also, the 30 day return period is really nearing its end, so a decision must be made quickly as to if the 650s will stay or not. I will try to get pictures of the drivers tonight as well.

I do enjoy the sound of my "HD650s", but now the issue has more to do with peace of mind than anything else. Heh, I really don't know where to go after this...Grado/Audiotechnica/Beyerdynamic have all been tried before, and they didn't fit my tastes. AKG perhaps? The K701 is seen to be the complete opposite of the 650 so everything is up in the air at the moment. This sucks!

In any case I wouldn't keep the 580 stamped headphones, you won't get anything in the FS forum for those. I know I wouldn't pay market price if a HD650 up for sale 'might' have 580 drivers in them.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #335 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*getting much fairer, going farther...?

I give up. I'm not typing the same thing out again.

How hard is it to understand the principle behind our annoyance? Paying for something you're not getting.

I meant much farther, excuse me. As for what your not getting, it is universally accepted nearly as far as I've noticed that these sound like real HD650s and the only difference anyone can find is that they have HD580 stamped on them. Which is still unlike any other driver that Sennheiser produces, HD580 stamps are not actually on the HD580 model drivers.

I can understand the problem in a way if you are collecting headphones. Other then that, it seems that most owners in this thread are ready to murder only to know why their driver was marked, but have no real cause in the build quality and sound as of yet to be concerned.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #336 of 509
^ Its evolved now. Most, 'in the know', as it were believe we have real 650s.

The seed of annoyance is now sprouting from Sennheiser's wonderous customer support.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #337 of 509
I wasn't really impressed with the sound and as said, I have no reason to keep them when there's even the slightest doubt.

I'll either let it sort out itself, buy used or.. be without em. No problem.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #338 of 509
Here's my latest theory. The 580/600s share the driver diaphragm with the 650. Someone here said the power handling was rated at 500 ma on the 650 vs 200ma on the 580/600. Although I can't verify the 650 figure, my 580 owner manual says "0.2 W as per DIN 45580." Therefore the voice coils, at the very least, have to to be different. I'm guessing the magnet, suspension and pretty much every other aspect of the driver is different as well.

Now to finish my theory, some bonehead in the manufacturing division decided to to put "HD580" on the latest diaphragm run, just to identify the diaphragms, thinking no one would ever notice, and if they did, they wouldn't care.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #339 of 509
This is weird.

My retailer just told me he checked the other 650 headphones in the storage from the same batch and claimed they only had dates stamped on them.

I'll keep you updated.

edit: oh yeah he tried to contact sennheiser as did i. no luck so far.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #340 of 509
Sure would be nice to hear from Sennheiser. They still haven't bothered to call me back.
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #341 of 509
I just picked up a pair of HD555's, I almost wish I had found HD580's, so I could check for myself. I feel left out. Lol.

Good luck guys, hope things work out.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #342 of 509
I'm still a little bit worried if the response I get on monday isn't satisfactory, well worry is too strong a word perhaps. Even if the HD650s are returned I still need a decent pair of headphones, something on the same level as the 650s. Should I start a new thread for that?

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #343 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still a little bit worried if the response I get on monday isn't satisfactory, well worry is too strong a word perhaps. Even if the HD650s are returned I still need a decent pair of headphones, something on the same level as the 650s. Should I start a new thread for that?

AKG-K701

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #345 of 509
I've checked my pair. I have only date stamped on the driver (it says 17.03.07) and a sennheiser text what forms a circle in the middle of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back