HD650 SS amp? What will 300$ get me?
Feb 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #32 of 38
Hi Dutchess of York!

If you could add the cost of shipping on to the $300, a very nice option would be the Little-Dot MKV, dual mono solid state headphone amplifier. It was designed with the HD-650 in mind, has two inputs (switchable from the front). I have a review posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-289765/

Additional information is here: Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK V Dual-Mono Headphone Amplifier!

Good luck on your hunt!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #33 of 38
All I can say is that I am absolutely overjoyed with my HD650 + Little Dot MK II combo. Music is sounding so good it's moved me to tears. I know there are better amps out there, but I'm simply delighted with this combo.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is that I am absolutely overjoyed with my HD650 + Little Dot MK II combo. Music is sounding so good it's moved me to tears. I know there are better amps out there, but I'm simply delighted with this combo.

It is a very dynamic and full sounding amp. I just love mine too. Don't forget to leave your "maturing" impressions in the review thread. Many are waiting with baited breath!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #35 of 38
I'd pick the Gilmore Lite to go with the HD-650. That's the best synergy I've heard in your price range. Anything better costs a lot more.

Also, don't fear vacuum tubes. They last for years and you don't have to spend a fortune on them. If you want to chase rare NOS tubes, you'll pay a lot, but there are very good current production tubes that sound awfully good and are affordable.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd pick the Gilmore Lite to go with the HD-650. That's the best synergy I've heard in your price range. Anything better costs a lot more.

Also, don't fear vacuum tubes. They last for years and you don't have to spend a fortune on them. If you want to chase rare NOS tubes, you'll pay a lot, but there are very good current production tubes that sound awfully good and are affordable.

I can second that. Tubes can last for years, in fact I've seen them last for decades. Pretty common in the pre-transistor days.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #37 of 38
I know I am the only one to say this, but here are my suggestions. You seem to have some sense to you and figured out the best amps right away. You won't go wrong with a CK2III or Glite or PPAv2. In fact, these should be the only ones to consider (well,M3 too - imo) that provide good value and are very solid designs. I know you want it soonish, but this is something you want to keep for a long time and be proud to own. Think about that, and if there is a wait time to use MisterX (who is excellent) or buy a Gilmore Lite, I advise you get in line. There is nothing worse than wishing you bought something else after the fact. Good things come to those who wait. =D

Just my 2c.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #38 of 38
I know you stated you have no interest in tube amps but man you should give consideration to a Little Dot amp.I bought the MKIII with an extra set of tubes for a grand total of $274. I have the stock tubes with it and couldn't be happier.

I also own the G-Lite with dps and it will make you happy with your Sennheisers also.It's fast dynamic slightly enhanced treble works great.I think you'll be happy with either amp.

At least with these two amps mentioned:I think the G-Lite with elpac is $379 + shipping......the Little Dot MKIII is $249 shipped with no extra tubes.Either way you have a winning combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back