hd650 or hd800
Oct 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #211 of 279

Quote:
I did the Complements on my HD800s, the first SE that he did, the picture on the site are my cables.  I will say that it took a bit to get used to the a slightly less transparent sound at first but the trade off was enormous.  The 800's became so much fuller sounding that it is hard for me to respond sometimes to the critic in that I feel I have a different sounding phone in many respects.  It is fuller with more bass and less trebly sounding.  Going back to stock sounds thin and hard to listen to for long periods.

I noticed the same sound phenomenon but from replacing my optical cable by a coaxial one which connect my PC to my DAC. The change in sound is very noticable.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #212 of 279

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by full size copper?

Full Size Complements as opposed to "Baby" Complements.  I am not sure if he also does them in silver, so just saying full sized copper Complements not baby or silver plated or something.  The full sized is pretty bulky, be prepared.  I don't keep up with his stuff lately as i am pretty much covered for the moment, thank God.  I buy any more audio gear and i will be divorced and starving.
redface.gif

Quote:
I noticed the same sound phenomenon but from replacing my optical cable by a coaxial one which connect my PC to my DAC. The change in sound is very noticable.

Seems like everything upstream from the 800s is extremely noticable.  I switched to coax on everything possible.  With the Amarra software i have a choice between usb and optical, i use usb->the Diverter(a usb-coax converter)->dac.  Otherwise i do coax out of my Oppo univeral player->dac.  They work for me, the only time i use optical is if i come out at 24/88 which the current version of the Diverter doesn't support.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #213 of 279

Quote:
Full Size Complements as opposed to "Baby" Complements.  I am not sure if he also does them in silver, so just saying full sized copper Complements not baby or silver plated or something.  The full sized is pretty bulky, be prepared.  I don't keep up with his stuff lately as i am pretty much covered for the moment, thank God.  I buy any more audio gear and i will be divorced and starving.
redface.gif

Seems like everything upstream from the 800s is extremely noticable.  I switched to coax on everything possible.  With the Amarra software i have a choice between usb and optical, i use usb->the Diverter(a usb-coax converter)->dac.  Otherwise i do coax out of my Oppo univeral player->dac.  They work for me, the only time i use optical is if i come out at 24/88 which the current version of the Diverter doesn't support.

I believe he has a regular Nucleotide cable, not the Complement or its variant.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #218 of 279
^^^

Cool...thanks for taking the time to photo your DHC cable. The cable is pretty thick. No worries about gauge being a bottleneck!
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #219 of 279
outside of an R10 or HP1000, i think the HD800 is hands down the best dynamic headphone on the market. but after much comparison, i decided to not sell my HD650 as it fairs very well against.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #221 of 279
After having the HD580, HD600, HD650, and HD800 on my ears recently, and HD800 on my ears all day I'd say go for whatever you like. The HD800 is just a step above in clarity and beauty. I've had them plugged into the headroom ultra desktop fed via optical from my X-Fi and the sound is intoxicating.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say if you're buying HD800 and want SS, go Headroom, but the HD series would all sound good on it. I ended up buying HD580 myself today, but they come with 600 grilles so they're basically 600's, which are more alike to the 800 than the 650 I understand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ultra Desktop + PSU + Hd800 is wonderful, nuff said. The HD800 is very picky though, it didn't sound near this good on a burson labs HA160 or anything else I heard them on at canjam. So far the HD800 + ultra desktop is amazing.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #222 of 279

Quote:
After having the HD580, HD600, HD650, and HD800 on my ears recently, and HD800 on my ears all day I'd say go for whatever you like. The HD800 is just a step above in clarity and beauty. I've had them plugged into the headroom ultra desktop fed via optical from my X-Fi and the sound is intoxicating.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say if you're buying HD800 and want SS, go Headroom, but the HD series would all sound good on it. I ended up buying HD580 myself today, but they come with 600 grilles so they're basically 600's, which are more alike to the 800 than the 650 I understand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ultra Desktop + PSU + Hd800 is wonderful, nuff said. The HD800 is very picky though, it didn't sound near this good on a burson labs HA160 or anything else I heard them on at canjam. So far the HD800 + ultra desktop is amazing.

No wonder I've been feeling content here with my Ultra Desktop +PSU when using the HD600's, 650's and 800's.  I also fully endorse the synergy there.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #223 of 279
Should I pic the HD 800 or the HD 650?

Will be used for: movies, movie soundtracks primarily. But should also work fine with Queen and such.

Will be used with: Yamaha stereo receiver/Yamaha CD-player/Iphone 4, all through the fiio E9/E7 combo.

HD 800: detail, soundstage
HD 650: heavier bass, cheaper

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #224 of 279

Quote:

Will be used for: movies, movie soundtracks primarily. But should also work fine with Queen and such.

Will be used with: Yamaha stereo receiver/Yamaha CD-player/Iphone 4, all through the fiio E9/E7 combo.

I've had the 800 and found them way too bright and clinical - tried several nice SS amps ith it.

I love my HD650. I also have the T1 - which I prefer to the 800; Great detail and soundstage, but slightly warmer and not as painfully bright. 

The HD650's bass is not heavy, unless compared to a bass-unheavy heaphone. Real life music has even more bass than the HD650. 650 has a very natural feel/sound signature. They are great. They are also very comfy - after you have adjusted the clamping. 800 are VERY LARGE. 

So - my advice is very much in favor of the HD650. HD800 is a great risk. It can sound very anemic and sterile, and painfully bright. Search the forum - you'll find others that agree with me.  Guess a good tube amp brings out the better of them. 

If you want to spend more than the HD650 - look at T1 for soundstaging. And what about the Audeeze LCD2? Haven't heard it, though. Hifiman H5LE could be a good alternative also (haven't heard it either, though)

Anyway - if you have to choose between 650 and 800 - By all means go for the HD650! - Check out the HD650 appreciation thread :) http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/1875#post_7087280

cheers - and good luck

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #225 of 279

Quote:
Quote:

I've had the 800 and found them way too bright and clinical - tried several nice SS amps ith it.

I love my HD650. I also have the T1 - which I prefer to the 800; Great detail and soundstage, but slightly warmer and not as painfully bright. 

The HD650's bass is not heavy, unless compared to a bass-unheavy heaphone. Real life music has even more bass than the HD650. 650 has a very natural feel/sound signature. They are great. They are also very comfy - after you have adjusted the clamping. 800 are VERY LARGE. 

So - my advice is very much in favor of the HD650. HD800 is a great risk. It can sound very anemic and sterile, and painfully bright. Search the forum - you'll find others that agree with me.  Guess a good tube amp brings out the better of them. 

If you want to spend more than the HD650 - look at T1 for soundstaging. And what about the Audeeze LCD2? Haven't heard it, though. Hifiman H5LE could be a good alternative also (haven't heard it either, though)

Anyway - if you have to choose between 650 and 800 - By all means go for the HD650! - Check out the HD650 appreciation thread :) http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/1875#post_7087280

cheers - and good luck

I agree.  I cannot speak to the HD650, but for movies, TV, and gaming I take off the HD800 and use the T1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back