hd650 or hd800
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #256 of 279

Quote:
The HD650s are a little picky with needing an amp to reach a good potential.  The HD800s and any of the current flagship crop is even more pickier, merely by the fact that their potential is much greater than yesterdays flagship.  But people seem to overlook source...when the amp/source is a carefully matched pair...as much attention needs to paid to the source than amplifier.  Source first when it comes to current flagships IMHO.

I have a Yamaha rig. Please tell me I don't have to upgrade that as well... :p 

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #257 of 279
Well I own both and I do like bass. Both improve dramatically from recabled for the opposite reason. Silver plated for 650's and copper for 800s. Of my open phones I use the 800s about 99% of the time. Poor 650s, not bad just not in the same league on my system, which is set to benefit both. System was originally set up for the 650s.

I have been using closed phones more lately due to environment and they are bassier than my open phones but not as clear and crisp.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #258 of 279

Quote:
Quote:
The HD650s are a little picky with needing an amp to reach a good potential.  The HD800s and any of the current flagship crop is even more pickier, merely by the fact that their potential is much greater than yesterdays flagship.  But people seem to overlook source...when the amp/source is a carefully matched pair...as much attention needs to paid to the source than amplifier.  Source first when it comes to current flagships IMHO.

I won't tell you that you have to upgrade that.  I command you to! 
atsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #259 of 279

Quote:

Source is definitely very important in getting good sound, especially with the highly revealing nature of the best headphones today. I agree that the source should be first with any very high end headphones made nowadays. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #260 of 279

Quote:
Quote:

The front end of your Yamaha is probably fine, but if it has a rec or pre out you could upgrade the headphone amp section by adding a separate one.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #263 of 279

Quote:
Quote:
The front end of your Yamaha is probably fine, but if it has a rec or pre out you could upgrade the headphone amp section by adding a separate one.

Yes of course, headphone amp is a must have, but I have no intention of upgrading my stereo amp or cd-player. 

And if that headphone amp has a usb input you could get into computer-based music, but if that doesn't interest you you don't need it.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #264 of 279

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes of course, headphone amp is a must have, but I have no intention of upgrading my stereo amp or cd-player. 

And if that headphone amp has a usb input you could get into computer-based music, but if that doesn't interest you you don't need it.

Computer-based music would be the best solution. But first I have to get Spotify premium to access 320kbit/s. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #267 of 279
It's more to do with sweating I believe than any form of OCD.  Perfectly understandable, I need to find where to gets these.  I sweat profusely ever since I started training.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #269 of 279
No, I just didn't like the idea of you calling someone that I respect OCD behind their back.  I think you know what I mean.  No need for emoticons.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #270 of 279
I used to cut socks into ankle warmers and place them around the shiny metal shells on my PS1000.  The socks remained on my PS1000s 24/7, at home and when I took them with me to the gym.  You can call me whatever you like.  I still ended up with a few tiny scratches, picked up by the camera in extreme zoom, and it would aggravate me.

Click-click, click-click, click-click, click-click.  

(This is me checking the locks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back