HD650, E7/E9, Bit Rate Questions
Jan 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

senndroid

Head-Fier
Disclaimer: I've tried using the search bar to find an answer to my fairly specific questions, but I haven't found anything definitive. If someone throws a ton of links at me, I will delete the thread (that's possible, right?) I apologize if I'm redundant, I know how annoying that is.

I've recently (last several months) stepped into the world of high-fidelity. My latest upgrade is from the HD595 to the HD650, which I am powering with the E7/E9. I am running USB out from my source, a laptop, which is full of 320kbps and FLAC files in mediamonkey.

It sounds GREAT.

Here are my questions:

(1) Is the Wolfson chip in the E7, which is only capable of 16 bit, holding me back here? If I upgraded my DAC, would I see a noticable improvement? Is the DAC the weakest link in my chain?

(2) What would a logical upgrade be for me be in this case (200-400 dollars)?

(3) If not, what is the weakest link in my chain? 

Thanks to all of you who are more experienced with the 650 for helping me out. Cheers! :)

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 4
1.) From what I've read in the audio theory portions of Head-Fi, you wouldn't hear 24bit anyway so I wouldn't stress the 16bit/24bit thing.  I'm sure others will offer more/better/different commentary. The Wolfson chip is good, but they've released a Big Brother to it, which sounds better.

2.) You'd have a few options.  Among them will be the NuForce Icon HDP, Pico Dac/Amp, Matrix Mini i, Dr. Dac2 DX, and some of the Audio-GD products.  (presuming your goal is for a combo dac/amp.  if you want separate devices, the list of possibilities will be damn near incomprehensible)

3.) Your amp is the weakest link in your chain.  I have the same amp and my next amp (NuForce) just shipped.  If that isn't what I'm looking for, I'll be going with something else (read: much more expensive) or I'll just give up on the 650's (because I don't want to invest more in headphones).  I'll cross those bridges when I come to them.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for responding!

You are right in assuming I want a combo amp/dac. Thanks for the suggestions, I may look into those amplifiers; please keep me posted on what you think of the nuforce when you get it.

If I might ask, what are you "going for?" You seem to have a particular sound in mind that you want to achieve, and you seem certain to get it through your amplifier; give me some details!

Thanks for easing my worries about the Wolfson chip in the E7; scratch it off my list now! ^_^ Right now, my wallet won't let me upgrade my amplifier, but for the future this is good to know.

Other responses are very welcome. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 4
From my research the Nuforce Icon HDP shine with the DAC part, not so much on the headphone amp, I could be wrong I will wait for your impression of course. 

To OP,
          Disastermouse who also had the E7/E9 + HD650 setup claim with a better DAC it made a lot of differences, if you wish to read his post in the HD650 appreciation thread.
Quote:
1.) From what I've read in the audio theory portions of Head-Fi, you wouldn't hear 24bit anyway so I wouldn't stress the 16bit/24bit thing.  I'm sure others will offer more/better/different commentary. The Wolfson chip is good, but they've released a Big Brother to it, which sounds better.

2.) You'd have a few options.  Among them will be the NuForce Icon HDP, Pico Dac/Amp, Matrix Mini i, Dr. Dac2 DX, and some of the Audio-GD products.  (presuming your goal is for a combo dac/amp.  if you want separate devices, the list of possibilities will be damn near incomprehensible)

3.) Your amp is the weakest link in your chain.  I have the same amp and my next amp (NuForce) just shipped.  If that isn't what I'm looking for, I'll be going with something else (read: much more expensive) or I'll just give up on the 650's (because I don't want to invest more in headphones).  I'll cross those bridges when I come to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back