HD650 and HD600 comparison
Aug 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently trying to decide which I like better: a new model HD650 (metal mesh), or an old model HD600 (black silk).
To me, the 650 sounds "faster", maybe due to better damping and less harmonic distortion.  However, the tone doesn't sound right and things seem to be missing their upper frequencies, making kick drum sound flat and cymbals not sizzle, compared to the 600.  The 650 currently has around 20 hours burn-in using the SAA equinox cable.  The 600 has an unknown and presumably large amount of burn-in and uses the 650 stock cable.  Does anyone else share this opinion? It seems other people think the 600 is faster than the 650.

Also, the earpiece swivels easily on the 600, but is hard to swivel on the 650.  Is that because it's new?

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 14
You've got the comparison just about right - I also found the HD-650 a little darker tonally and a little smoother than the HD-600. But I find the HD-600 more neutral and accurate.

But I kept going back and forth as to which I liked better and still can't choose based on sound. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with the HD-600 because it costs less.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
a question for those who have both:

how do the newer HD650's (metal/silver mesh) and newer HD600 (metal/silver mesh)? 

I heard that according to Sennheiser, there's no difference in sound between the two meshes.  The mesh material was changed because the black silk could stretch depending on altitude/humidity, affecting the sound, apparently making it slower with more bass.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

I heard that according to Sennheiser, there's no difference in sound between the two meshes.  The mesh material was changed because the black silk could stretch depending on altitude/humidity, affecting the sound, apparently making it slower with more bass.

So there is a sound difference, even if it might be induced by atmospheric conditions.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 14
There was definitely a significant sound difference between my pre-change and post-change HD50.  Not sure it was due to the silk to mesh change or another change about the same time (about a year?).  But I would never buy the old ones now that I've heard the new.  

Aging of my older pair may have contributed to a difference, but I'm skeptical that it was the main effect. 

Manufacturers often deny changes in sound... it doesn't work to their advantage unless it is a top-to-bottom improvement, in which case it is given a new number.  Engineers in particular aren't very good listeners; if a change doesn't measure as significant, they often don't allow themselves to hear it... or even try listening. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 14
I decided on HD600 + SAA equinox cable + Xonar STX DAC + modified Morgan-Jones  6N1P OTL amp.

The HD600 (used, black silk) was better than: K702, HD650, DT900  600 ohm, Triport, and comparable to the SR Lambda Pro.  What made it better was that it did nothing wrong.  It was just good at everything but not great. 

I decided on the SAA equinox, as it increases treble over the stock cable, making cymbals etc. sound more realistic.  It is a very minor improvement however.  I chose my tube amp over the STX stock amp just because it has a nice tube sound.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 14
I love both.  They each have their strengths and I keep going back and forth between the two unable to decide which I prefer.  At times, I think I've decided and then I have to retract.  

BTW, congrats on the HD600's.  It's a great choice.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 14
You've come a long way PF, and now you have chosen the phone I've picked and you've dumped the STX (amp). Funny how things come around.

Enjoy!

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 14
I never said I dumped the STX.  It's really a great DAC/amp.

Quote:
You've come a long way PF, and now you have chosen the phone I've picked and you've dumped the STX (amp). Funny how things come around.

Enjoy!

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I kinda cant replace both these. The 600s with a nice tube amp sounds awesome albeit with a grainy top end.... But to relax at home I went with a 650 with silver cable upgrade (moon audio) and that sounds divine through a lisa 3 or a beta 22.....

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
What makes it grainy? 

It only happens when you use them at the beach. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back