HD600! Wow!
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 41
The HD650 is not slow or dark; it just lacks a touch of incisiveness in the treble. This is why I prefer to drive it with an integrated amp, since it needs a touch of treble boost (around 2 O'Clock). This remedies the slight dullness without interfering with the midrange or ruining the 650s natural organic flow.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 41

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's funny that I was expecting my HD650 to be a lot darker from what everyone else is saying here. Granted it is not Grado, but it is no where dark. Maybe the older ones are much darker or people are just not running it with a decent amp, I tend to think the latter is the case for most. Of course, this is just my point of view.

You have the HD650/RS1i combo? Nice! That's where I want to end up.

It looks like you are already half way there :) If you are stuck in limbo, it really isn't bad if you are accompanied by these two sets of cans.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 41
Don't know abt the HD 600. I love my HD 650. They are just  right for me. I use Silver Streak IC from CDP to Pio A 35r. I am luck out that the A 35r HP jack out sounds crappy with low impedance cans. With the HD 650, the Pio  A 35r is loud, details and smooooooth. I cannot figure it out why but I love the combo.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
If you are stuck in limbo, it really isn't bad if you are accompanied by these two sets of cans.

I spy an Inception reference? XD

I'd love to try the HD650 and HD600 on decent setups. But living in Australia, there's no chance. Would the 650 be as dark as, say, the ESW9? 

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 41
I've had mine for about 3 years now and I'm still very impressed with them. As they break-in, they will continue to improve.

You might think about a replacement cord, nothing exotic and not for any sonic improvement, but the stock cord is awfully flimsy. There is about a $28 replacement available at Amazon which is much more substantial. I only learned of it after mine developed a short. The downside is that the replacement I got does not have the nifty 1/8" to 1/4" deal that the stock one had, it's a straight up 1/4" plug.

I originally got mine for late-night listening to my main stereo, but now I use them for everything -- from my most humble sources (laptop phone jack, ipods) to better stuff, and they always sound fantastic -- obviously much better with better sources -- and are insanely comfortable. I did draw the line after wearing them on the treadmill a few times, as that seemed a bit reckless.

They are indeed great cans.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 41
I had my first chance trying the HD600 last Saturday and I liked them. Better than the HD650 which I had owned previously and got too A/B the two together last week also. I always felt the treble on the HD650 was too rolled off and the bass as a little bloomy for my taste. The HD600 doesn't share that trait. Had I had the HD600 instead I probably would have owned them longer than I did the HD650. So I don't think of the HD650 as an upgrade but a different headphone. I think the HD800 is a better version of the 600 not the 650.

They both scale up well with amping. A nice dedicated headamp will go a long way toward making the HD600 reach it's full potential.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #25 of 41

Quote:
I had my first chance trying the HD600 last Saturday and I liked them. Better than the HD650 which I had owned previously and got too A/B the two together last week also. I always felt the treble on the HD650 was too rolled off and the bass as a little bloomy for my taste. The HD600 doesn't share that trait. Had I had the HD600 instead I probably would have owned them longer than I did the HD650. So I don't think of the HD650 as an upgrade but a different headphone. I think the HD800 is a better version of the 600 not the 650.

They both scale up well with amping. A nice dedicated headamp will go a long way toward making the HD600 reach it's full potential.

Out of interest, how old were the HD650s you compared it to? This thread has me questioning if people are simply hearing the older HD650s and therefore mislabeling them all as dull.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:Originally Posted by olor1n 

"Out of interest, how old were the HD650s you compared it to? This thread has me questioning if people are simply hearing the older HD650s and therefore mislabeling them all as dull."

I had, I believe, the older version but the ones I heard a week ago and directly compared to the HD600 were the newer ones. My opinion of the newer variant didn't change my overall impression of them when hearing them both together. I prefer the HD600.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 41
I got my HD600 last week and I have to say that they sound great. For almost all types of music I prefer them over the DT990/600. Very happy to have gotten them!

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
I like these threads. Congratulations OP! If the HD600 didn't have that hideous marble look I may be singing its praises instead of my HD650.

I actually really like the marble look alot. It's different and it kinda distinguishes them from other cans imo. To each his own tho 
smile.gif

Quote:
I've had mine for about 3 years now and I'm still very impressed with them. As they break-in, they will continue to improve.

You might think about a replacement cord, nothing exotic and not for any sonic improvement, but the stock cord is awfully flimsy. There is about a $28 replacement available at Amazon which is much more substantial. I only learned of it after mine developed a short. The downside is that the replacement I got does not have the nifty 1/8" to 1/4" deal that the stock one had, it's a straight up 1/4" plug.

I originally got mine for late-night listening to my main stereo, but now I use them for everything -- from my most humble sources (laptop phone jack, ipods) to better stuff, and they always sound fantastic -- obviously much better with better sources -- and are insanely comfortable. I did draw the line after wearing them on the treadmill a few times, as that seemed a bit reckless.

They are indeed great cans.

I plan on keeping these for a long time. I'm in love with them. And yeah I was thinking about picking up like a stock HD650 cable or something, but for now the stock one is fine. I'll prolly end up getting something different eventually though. Lol about using them on the treadmill! Haha.

Quote:
How much do HD600s go for nowadays? And where can you get them cheapest?

I picked mine up for about $220 used. And they're in amazing condition. Like they could pass as new as far as I'm concerned. New they're around $300 though I think. Someone posted an ebay link so yeah.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
I got my HD600 last week and I have to say that they sound great. For almost all types of music I prefer them over the DT990/600. Very happy to have gotten them!

That's good to hear. I was actually about to buy the DT990/600 but the ebay auction I bid on got just a bit out of my price range. I ended up finding my HD600's for sale here on head fi for a great price and decided to go with them instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back