HD600! Wow!
Jan 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Traeger2591

New Head-Fier
Well today I got my HD600's in the mail that I have been anticipating for awhile. I bought them used off the forums here after selling my HD555's for a want of something better. All I have to say is WOW. These are way better and different than what I was expecting. 

After reading about them forever, I was expecting a bright, trebly sound with not enough bass. Also that they wouldn't sound great with all genres. Boy was I wrong! They sound amazing on every track I've played so far (jazz, rock, pop, and classical). They're so much better than the 555's. I love the balance on them. Everything is just right. I was worried that the bass wasn't going to be enough, as I have been listening to M50's alot lately. But I find the bass perfect. Not as loud and powerful as M50, but I find it to be very clean, articulate, and has just the right amount of impact. The treble is better than anything I've heard and the mids make me drool. The soundstage is great too. Ever since I opened these today I was listening to them and I couldn't stop smiling haha. I now finally have both a closed and open set of cans that I am in love with. Previous cans include HD555, SRH440, M50, and now HD600 :). So I guess you could say this is my first step in to high end phones.

Oh, and I've only listened to them out of my MacBook Pro so far lol. Can't wait to go home and hook them up to my amp!

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 41

[size=medium]
Haha I know, tell me about it. I honestly was expecting, a meh sound straight from my computer. Somehow I think these sound better unamped than my M50's. Granted they can't go as loud, but the quality is amazing. I feel like a noob for being amazed without an amp haha.
[/size]

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 41

Quote:

Oh, and I've only listened to them out of my MacBook Pro so far lol. Can't wait to go home and hook them up to my amp!

Amazing! i'm sure you will be crazy once you hook them to your amp. 

Which amp do you own btw? 

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 41
Right now I just have a Denon stereo receiver, but I'm considering buying a dedicated headphone amp. I was looking at the new audio gd nfb-12. I don't really have the funds for it though right now, and I have been satisfied from my receiver so far. With higher quality headphones, I'm sure it would be good to get a better amp though.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 41

Quote:
 With higher quality headphones, I'm sure it would be good to get a better amp though.

You're right, you have to start saving some bucks for it...something to consider. 

Specially if you plan to upgrade headphones also, maybe the 650's after? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 41
Haha idk about the 650's. I think if I ended up trying a new pair of cans I'd look at another brand besides Sennheiser just to try something new. Not sure if I'd like the 650's though. From what I've read, it seems like they're darker and idk if I would like that. I'm perfectly content with the mids and bass of my 600's. If I want more bass, then I'll switch to my closed cans, which are M50's currently.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 41
My HD 650's aren't dark at all. You can't trust anyone's ears but your own. Try the HD 650's one day.

I'd really like to try the HD 600's one day to see exactly how they differ.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
My HD 650's aren't dark at all. You can't trust anyone's ears but your own. Try the HD 650's one day.

Well said.  It depends on what you like.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 41
report back after plugging them into your amp.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 41

Quote:

Wana trade? Haha jk. But no, you make a great point. I completely agree. I wasn't expecting my HD600's to sound this great. You can't really judge something just by what the majority of people say.

Quote:
report back after plugging them into your amp.

I will be going home tonight for the weekend. I'm sure I'll have them glued on my head for quite some time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 41
Wow, so I hooked them up to my amp (just a denon receiver) and they sound even better! I still can't stop smiling! Haha. The soundstage opened up immensely, and the treble and bass both now are just amazing. These definitely make my M50's sound boring haha. I love these cans! Every track I have played sounds great. Anyway, just thought I'd give you guys an update on my thoughts of these through a proper source. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 41
I like these threads. Congratulations OP! If the HD600 didn't have that hideous marble look I may be singing its praises instead of my HD650.

FWIW, my HD650 is not slow, laid back or boring. My benchmark for energetic cans is the MS-1i and although the sound signatures are distinct, I actually feel the HD650 (other than being technically superior) more than holds its own in its attack and pace
eek.gif
. This is in stark contrast to how Head-Fiers describe the HD650. Perhaps a lot of the older HD650s are in circulation amongst new listeners for this myth to still be so prevalent. Or maybe I have some magical pair that has amazing synergy with my setup. Either way, the lesson here is never believe what you read on these boards (including this post). Try things out for yourself and go from there.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 41
Yeah, it's funny that I was expecting my HD650 to be a lot darker from what everyone else is saying here. Granted it is not Grado, but it is no where dark. Maybe the older ones are much darker or people are just not running it with a decent amp, I tend to think the latter is the case for most. Of course, this is just my point of view.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
Yeah, it's funny that I was expecting my HD650 to be a lot darker from what everyone else is saying here. Granted it is not Grado, but it is no where dark. Maybe the older ones are much darker or people are just not running it with a decent amp, I tend to think the latter is the case for most. Of course, this is just my point of view.

You have the HD650/RS1i combo? Nice! That's where I want to end up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back