HD600 with Cardas cable vs Sony MDR-R10
Apr 6, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #61 of 110
Quote:

Wow!!!
according to my price lists and inquiries PC Corp has $104,000 worth of audio gear(in today's money).That's just...........amazing.

No, no, I think you missed this part:

Quote:

People will find that I just listed all the out of reach equipment on my hi-end system list. Again, I just feel, (not from experience) that they are the best. If they are not in your mind, great, we have more hi-end equipment. I really don't care if the Wilson Grand Slam belongs to the list or not. If I find out one day that the $300 Bose is better, then I'll happily buy the Bose.

PC Corp hasn't even heard the trios and other stuff he talks about comparing headphones to, let alone own them. So how he gets off using them as a reference standard I certainly don't know.

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #62 of 110
Hey... I just got a tagline. Thanks Jude
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #63 of 110
Quote:

The HD600/Blockhead combo is,in my opinion,the best really high end bargain going.

Considering my whole entire headphone setup, including the source, costed me in total less than one Blockhead + one HD600 bought from Jan without a source, I would have to disagree with the HD600/Blockhead being the best real "bargain" out there.

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #65 of 110
Does this mean that no one will do the comparison?
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #66 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
Ah but you're counting the R10's used price....that's cheating
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, if I go by the R10's retail price, the difference would be my system costs exactly $48 more, and that's still including a source.

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #67 of 110
Quote:

Actually, if I go by the R10's retail price, the difference would be my system costs exactly $48 more, and that's still including a source.

Wait, let's see. You have (using all US MSRPs):

Headphone: R10 - $3999 (themegifts)
Amp: Let's say you run it out of a DIY amp that your neighbor throws away
very_evil_smiley.gif

Total: $3999

Blockhead - $3333
Sennheiser HD600 - $300

Total: $3666

Difference: $333

Source is totally out of the picture at this point. Just as you have a $1400 DVP-S9000ES, there are balanced sources for that price or less available.

Anyway, $333's more than $48. See, the Blockhead is a bargain...it's all relative.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #68 of 110
wow, R-10 owners get defensive!

Maybe they feel they have to justify to themselves the fact that they paid so much more for the R-10?
redface.gif

Maybe the R-10 is better than the HD-600, but I don't care. I am happy with my HD-600, and that is all that matters (but also, I do have a lot more money
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

If you are happy with the R-10, great!

Driftwood

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #69 of 110
Is this topic really that controversial? So far, some of the ones who've heard the R10 think they're the best and worth the money. If they enjoy it that much, I don't see why the price wouldn't be justified. IMO, the Senn HD600 is worth 10 times the retail price I paid for them. Yes, I would pay $4500 for them if I had to.

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #70 of 110
OK... It is fair to say that HD600s are not top of the line because the R10 is "obviously better". You can perhaps argue that they are not "high-end" because the R10s are 18x the price. Saying that they are not hifi, however, just confuses me. Do you consider PSB Gold speakers not hifi? blah, whatever. I don't care what you call your system, or my system. Maybe I have tin ears, but the senns sound good. I haven't heard everything so I can't say best, and I can't say that there aren't products a cut above, but they do smoke mid-fi speakers easily.

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #72 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
IMO, the Senn HD600 is worth 10 times the retail price I paid for them. Yes, I would pay $4500 for them if I had to.

$4500 isn't much to an 18 year old who can afford to hook $4500 headphones up to a Cary source and amp
smily_headphones1.gif
once again, this all becomes relative...

Not to be controversial, but $4500 gets you some speakers that are "competitive" with the HD600 (on the used market).

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #73 of 110
I can't really afford this stuff, I'm just willing to work my ass off and save up. (sacrificing budget for my other hobbies)

Well, for under $4000/pair, I think Vandersteen 3A signatures blow the Senns away. Then again, given the chance, I'll listen to mid-fi speakers before I put on the Senns.

Apr 6, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #74 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
This is one of the most ****ed up threads I have ever read in my entire life.

Word up! Here's the hyperbolic* summary:
* that means don't get offended, y'alls.

R-10 owners: the R-10 is king and everything else is mid-fi crap and you aren't audiophiles!

Senn owners: The HD600 is an amazing value but it is worth my life savings and is better than the R-10, Orpheus and Omega 2s according to my taste in audio! Even though I haven't heard the R-10, Orpheus or Omega 2s.

Few people in this thread have shown restraint. I apologize if I forgot to make fun of anyone's posts. Frankly, I don't give a crap about R-10 vs. senn. R-10s are prohibitively expensive and basically out of stock and production. so there. you can't have any!

Oh yeah, Audio&Me, I was just teasin' ya. But there are people here with waaaay more disposable income than others. I apologize for using you as an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back