HD600 with Cardas cable vs Sony MDR-R10
Apr 5, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #31 of 110
I would be more than happy to share my R10s with both you and Rick, Kurt. Let me know.

markl

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
Markl, if you want to do this in a smaller, more controlled environment, we could get another bay area meet together somewhere. Maybe RickG could bring his Stax and I could bring my POS ATs
wink.gif
and I know there's some Max/HD600 combos around.

I'm sure there's one somewhere nearby... maybe even with a few different sets of cables for the HD600
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 110
No, I haven't heard the HD580's with any good equipment before. I fed them with my laptop for 3 years before I got the SAC AKG ampl
tongue.gif

I just want to say that giving a Civic better tires won't make it as fast as a Ferrari, let alone a truck.

Maybe I should have mentioned what are my Hi-End equipment standards.

system 1.
Speakers: Avantgarde Trio
Power Amp: Wavelength Audio Napoleon NCE
or Audio Note GAKU-ON

System 2
Speakers: Wilson Grand Slam
Power Amp Jadis JA 200
or Mark Levinson 33
All with
Pre Amp: Jadis JP80 MC
Digi Source: Mark Levinson No.30.6 + 31.5
Analog: Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable and tonearm

This is the minimum I would accept as a Hi-End system

Speakers: Sonus Fabus Guarneri Homagenus
Amps: Mark Levinson No 26 + 20.5
or Jadis JA 60
Source: SCD-1

So right now I think you'll have a hard time to argue that Senn HD580's are hi-end equipment. And I have a reasonable doubt that HD600's aren't too.

Hi-End is Hi-End. According to my standard, both AKG and Senn I have fail to reach that standard.

Enjoyability is according to people's taste or opinion. Somebody enjoys being abused. (not me) I still enjoy my $5 earbud, but I enjoy listening to them won't make them Hi-End. Hi-End is a standard. That's why Stereophile has a rating list. And the standard is moving and moving. Only products at the very end spectrum could be called Hi-End products IMHO of course.

I know your standard of Hi-End is different from mine. But thinking HD600's are Hi-End equipment is either (1) fooling youslef or (2) your Hi-End standard is very low IMHO. Of course there's a third chance that your standard is higher than mine and HD600's belong to you Hi-End standard, which is perfectly fine for me. And I should be happy for you because you've found what you're looking for.

I think most of us are poor students here. The road to Hi-End music is still far far far away.

Enjoy your music.

Peace by piece.

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #34 of 110
I think it's really funny that so many people think that one non-broken piece of wire is going to sound super-different from another.

I've never tried new wires on my '580s (except for replacing the stock Senn cables), but I've enough experience with cables and interconnects in the non-headphone world to think that it's a foolish waste of money. I have heard interconnects change the sound of a system precisely once: when I was a frosh in college my system suffered from 60Hz hum. I tried a number of things, but what eventually solved the problem was switching to super-well-shielded interconnects, the Artus by Esoteric Audio. At US$600 per pair, it was hardly a cheap fix, unfortunately. But no cheaper (or more expensive!) interconnects did the job, so the price was painfully right. In my parents' house (where my system paintakingly assembled one nugget at a time now resides, as transporting it to Europe was impractical and stupid), there are no such problems, and Rat Shack cables sound identical to the Artii there.

I have also heard speaker cables change the sound of a system. MIT cables, in my experience, castrate the highs of many speakers. Especially speakers that can present difficult loads to amps, such as Martin-Logans or Thiels.

I suspect that, if the Cardas or Clous in fact sound different at all, that's about what they do. A cable can't add, it can only substract. And the stock Senn cable measures perfectly flat at audio frequencies. When it's not suffering from broken solder joints or other common maladies, that is. So any change is a deviation from accuracy.

The usual approach of cable fundamentalists is to challenge the hearing acuity of people who see that the emperor is nekkid, and frankly that can be fair. I don't have super-hearing by any stretch. I don't have perfect pitch, for example. I do, however, have an excellent memory, and can concenrate for long periods of time. I can easily hear differences if someone moves my speakers less than 1" in any direction, or rotates them less than 10 degress inwards or outwards. But you can, too. If you try to. It's something learned, not something innate.

Cables, by contrast, mostly sound different by suggestion on the part of people with a financial stake it getting 'philes to see them as a valid upgrade path.

Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
I was wondering if someone could do a comparison of the Senn HD600 with the new Cardas replacement cable to the big Sonys? I'd really like to know how close the Senns can get to the Sonys.

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 110
I don't know how many of you got to listen to the Blockhead/HD 600 combo, but it's really something. I thought it came darn close to the Stax Omega II. Granted, the Blockhead/600 combo had the advantage of having a cable coming directly from the Krell and a balanced one at that (think of all the cables at the display). But I'd even rank that combo as near the Orpheus -- there's a noticeable and I'd say even a significant difference (in favor of the Orpheus).

What does this say? Well, you could just argue that the Blockhead is an amazing piece of equipment and just a great headphone amplifier just like the Holmes Powell amps are or the Cary CAD300SEI. Many professional high-end audio reviewers like to test their $500 bookshelves with amps three, four, even five times their price and the good ones are usually improved dramatically every step of the way.

What I'm trying to say is that the HD600 is certainly a piece of audiophile equipment. It sounds great even with modest amplification, and with improved amplification it improves by leaps and bounds.

Vert said that the CD3000 was close to the R10 when he was using mediocre amplification (it was the old MOH, not the new one, right?
wink.gif
) and a poor source (Denon DCM-370). Perhaps it's the kind of music used -- I know that I find my system is much better than it needs to be to play rock music (no, I don't listen to pop so I can't comment) but it can always be better with classical.

So what does this mean? Let's assume the music issue isn't really an issue. This means that without great amplification (I haven't heard the RKV but it seems to be great) the R10 barely beats a headphone ten times less expensive (I hate to compare by price, but face it, at this price point you have to). One thing I loved about my Grados was that I could always appreciate my MS Pros no matter what the amplification was -- whether it was my Melos SHA-1, my old Wheatfield HA-1, a CHA-47-in-an-altoids-box, or just the headphone jack of my CD player. I could even tell the differences between the MS Pro and the RS-2.

Maybe the R10 really needs great amplification to shine. I don't know if the Melos SHA-1 counts as great amplification (though I personally find it comparable to the Holmes-Powell DCT-1). But in any case, it's something to get when the rest of your system is finished. You don't need to wait that long with the HD600.

Hm my argument is probably convoluted and I haven't really been sleeping this past week. But let me try to sum up my argument.

With mid-level amplification and mid-to-low-end source, R10 and CD3000 are comparable (and I actually prefer the HD600 to CD3000), while with really high-end amplification and source, the R10 is noticeably above the rest. The HD600 also can improve dramatically with greater amplification and with a decent source and amp can sound close to the R10. So the R10 is something to top off your decked-out system once you've achieved the top tier of dynamic amplification. But barring that, you may very well be happy with a headphone that costs 10-20 times less than the R10.

Again, this is based on what Vert has said and I'm open to criticism of my reasoning. But I hope you get my point... the HD600 is a fine piece of equipment.

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
No, I haven't heard the HD580's with any good equipment before. I fed them with my laptop for 3 years before I got the SAC AKG ampl
tongue.gif

I just want to say that giving a Civic better tires won't make it as fast as a Ferrari, let alone a truck.

Wait, you've never heard the 580's with good equipment, and yet you can say that they aren't hi-fi equipment? (Since we're using Ferrari analogies) That's like buying a Ferrari that only gets used to drive your kid to school through a 25mph zone, and then saying that the Ferrari really isn't all that great.

If you've never paired the 580s to a dedicated headphone amp, then IMO, you haven't really heard the 580s. Through a pc laptop, you've heard probably the bottom level of what they're capable of - which admittedly is a little less than audiophile quality, but only taking a Ferrari to 25mph is a little less than supercar quality use.

Feed them a strong, clean signal (these are 300ohm impedance phones...most pc laptop headphone jacks aren't made to drive that kind of load) from a nice headphone amp, and I bet you'd be surprised at the quality of sound reproduction.

Sort of analogous to finding a deserted country road where you can finally let the Ferrari open up and show why it's a supercar.

Apr 5, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #37 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
No, I haven't heard the HD580's with any good equipment before. I fed them with my laptop for 3 years before I got the SAC AKG amp

Then, with all due respect, it's hard to understand where you're coming from. That's like driving your Wilson Grand Slams with the speaker-out jack on a Sony boombox. I'm sure if I heard that setup I'd think "these expensive speakers sure don't sound like high-end equipment.

Quote:

So right now I think you'll have a hard time to argue that Senn HD580's are hi-end equipment. And I have a reasonable doubt that HD600's aren't too.

For those who have heard these headphones (and the AKG K501, as well) on good equipment, it's pretty easy to argue that they're "high-end." If you read Jude's comments about the HD600 BlockHead combo, I don't know how anyone could even suggest that the HD600 are not "high-end." In fact, I think that's what actually makes them high-end: the better equipment you throw at them, the better they sound, and significantly so. I read a quote on HeadRoom's web site that the better they make their amps, the more they realize how good the HD600 really are. If these weren't "high-end" equipment, that wouldn't be the case.

Quote:

Hi-End is a standard. That's why Stereophile has a rating list. And the standard is moving and moving. Only products at the very end spectrum could be called Hi-End products IMHO of course.

And the HD600 and HD580 are both on that list...
wink.gif

Quote:

But thinking HD600's are Hi-End equipment is either (1) fooling youslef or (2) your Hi-End standard is very low IMHO.

How can you say this? You've admittedly never heard the HD580 on good equipment, and you've never heard the HD600 at all
confused.gif

Heck, if you don't believe me, consider the fact that HeadRoom says "it's simply the best dynamic headphone. Sound. Comfort. Everything." Stereophile says "WP, KR, and ST are unanimous in calling these the best dynamic headphones they've ever heard."

To be clear, I'm not saying I agree that the HD600 are "the best" -- I haven't heard every headphone on earth -- but rather I'm pointing out that some of the people who have heard all the best headphones in the world place the HD600 at the top. That would not be possible if they weren't truly high-end. Even if you disagree on whether or not they are #1, #2, #3, or #10, a product doesn't have to be "the best" to be "high end." The HD600 is clearly among the top headphones in the world, and is clearly a high-end product. People may disagree about their sound, and/or whether or not they personally like it, but to claim that they aren't "high-end" is really pushing the envelope in terms of believability.

For the record, I would make the same argument about the AKG K501, the HD580, a number of Beyer models, a couple Sony models, and Etys. Given what people have said about some AT models (I haven't heard them), I'd probably include those. "High-end" isn't an exclusive label mean for one or two models. It is a range that includes those products that are head and shoulders above the rest of the market, and that can reproduce audio in a way other devices simply can't. People have different personal definitions of what "high-end" means, but the only one that wouldn't include these headphones is one that says "this isn't the absolute best, number one model on the market, so it's not 'high-end.'"

Quote:

Originally posted by citroeniste
I think it's really funny that so many people think that one non-broken piece of wire is going to sound super-different from another.

I've never tried new wires on my '580s (except for replacing the stock Senn cables), but I've enough experience with cables and interconnects in the non-headphone world to think that it's a foolish waste of money.

I used to think the same thing... until I heard cables that made a difference.

Quote:

I suspect that, if the Cardas or Clous in fact sound different at all, that's about what they do. A cable can't add, it can only substract.

Even if that's your theory, then it can be rationally argued that better cables "subtract less." It can also be argued that, given the fact that there's no such thing as a perfect headphone, a cable "subtracting" the right things from an imperfect headphone can help create a better "whole."

Quote:

Cables, by contrast, mostly sound different by suggestion on the part of people with a financial stake it getting 'philes to see them as a valid upgrade path.

Then what is the explanation for the fact that people with absolutely no financial stake hear improvements with various cables?

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #38 of 110
Hrmm as you go up the line with anything in audio, you encounter severely diminishing returns. I have real doubts that the R10 blows away the 600 when both are used with good amplification and sources (though I am open to the possibility).

Anyway, to bring some other perspectives to the discussion, here is something darth nut had to say about the R10, from http://headwize.powerpill.org/ubb/sh...5856&srch=r10¦:

"And yes, I have auditioned the Sony MDR-R10 before: it's not bad, but nowhere as good as the [Grado] HP-1s."

And of course some people think HP-1s are outclassed by RS-1s or by HD-600s (myself included). I think this fact alone makes it quite likely that even if the R10s sound better than the HD600s, that hardly means they're on a different plane altogether.

And here's what Mrbeanyohan had to say on Headwize, from http://headwize.powerpill.org/ubb/sh...5856&srch=r10¦:

"Whereas for the SONY MDR-R10, the bass is slightly weaker than Grado RS-1 but still as deep and taut and fast. I prefer Grado's bass. The vocal is about the same as Grado RS-1 but slightly sweeter rather than warmer, mopre pleasing. The tremble and the detail is better then the Grado RS-1. The high end is sweet and clear, better than HD-600. So Grado wins in the bass and Sony wins in other areas. MDR-R10 is almost like the Sennheiser HD-600 but its warmer, sweeter sounding and STRONGER, tauter bass."

Note that Yohan thinks the RS-1 actually beats the R10 as far as bass goes. Also note that he thinks the R10 is "almost like the" HD-600.

He goes on to say:

"The Sony MDR-10 is excellent with Discman. The Sony MDR-R10 sounds impressive even without amp, sounds better than a cosmic with HD-600 using discman."

This is interesting, no? This would, to me, indicate a lack of transparency. A discman represents the poorest possible source & amplifier. For an R10 to sound better on this than an HD600 on a Cosmic indicates to me that the R10 is not sensitive to upstream components, and thus may not be very revealing (which may not be a bad thing, of course).

And finally: "Overall, I think Grado is worth the price whereas Sony MDR-R10 is not worth it. Go get Grado RS-1 instead of Sony MDR-R10, as Grado is more worth it. Also, don't buy Sony MDR-R10 from www.audioadvancements.com, go import them from Japan with cheaper price-$1000 difference."

So Yohan--despite having auditioned the Omega II, etc.--does not seem to think the R10s worth even $1000 more than the RS-1.

Shows how tastes can differ.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #39 of 110
Quote:

Posted by PC Corp:[The fact that] I enjoy listening to [$5 cans] won't make them Hi-End. Hi-End is a standard. That's why Stereophile has a rating list. And the standard is moving and moving. Only products at the very end spectrum could be called Hi-End products IMHO of course.

The high-end is clearly a term that can be defined many ways. If you look at the Stereophile definition, it's a piece of equipment that costs more than at least 90% of the rest of equipment bought by hobbyists. It's also a piece of equipment produced by a company already established to be in the high-end.

How do these companies reach the status to be good enough to reach the ratings list that Stereophile makes? They do it several ways.

1)Paying for expensive advertisements.
2)Wining and dining reviewers and presenting other personal gifts and favors.
3)By getting their equipment stocked on the shelves of the audio stores that the reviewers own.

There has been a huge debate over this issue, especially as regards the new Sam Tellig review of the Musical Fidelity upsampling DAC on both the Audiogon and Audio Asylum message boards. We have lambasted the Stereophile lists here as well because it really is based on little than the above factors.

I have a certain feeling that you're adhering to this standard as well -- except you're not the one receiving the favors. Since someone else is receiving favors and because you probably paid thousands of dollars for the Levinson transport/DAC combo alone you consider that high end.

Fair enough. But realize that assumptions mean little in audio. One of the great things about this forum is its accessibility to people of lesser means -- that's why we have so many more high school students and college students (like myself) on these message boards. As Jude says, the fact that you can get decent headphones and amplification for under $200 helps a lot.

Headphones break a lot of assumptions. You pay $200 (or less, as in my case) for a pair of HD600 headphones, pay $400 (or less, as in my case) for a Melos SHA-1, pay $400 for a decidedly mid-fi digital source, and you have a system that can compete in terms of detail, musicality, and PRAT with a speaker system costing up to maybe three- to four-thousand dollars. You won't have the same soundstage, the same presentation, the same bass that you can feel in your bones. You won't have something that you don't need to wear on your head, something that a whole group of people can listen to at one time. And you'll have something you can see, a palpable return for your money.

And who doesn't want a lot in exchange for their money? I know that I do. When I buy a $10+ cigar in America that doesn't taste as good as cigars from a certain island south of Miami that cost half as much, I'm not happy. I look and look for something to make the cigar seem like it tasted better, but it doesn't.

When I bought my Marantz CD6000OSE CD player and soon afterwards found out I could have bought a Sony ES SACD player for around the same price, I wasn't too happy with my choice. When I got the Sony MZ-R900 minidisc player for over $350 when it just came out in Japan, and then the value has now dropped to $200 or less, that doesn't make me happy either.

But having heard a relatively great number of headphones and some of the best headphone amps around, I know not to judge a piece of audio equipment by anything but the sound that I hear and the feeling it evokes. Sure, I like showing off toys too. I paid almost twice as much for a humidor with barely better functionality just because the box itself looks better.

But if you're going to start judging audio equipment by these same standards, maybe you should consider suggesting that furniture magazines review equipment, not audio-equipment magazines.

High-end audio equipment, the way I see it, is equipment that produces sound with the greatest PRAT and musicality. It's something that will bring me close to Beethoven's string quartets, Prokofiev's piano concerto's, Mahler's symphonies, Thelonious Monk's piano. I don't care what I paid for the equipment, when I try to tell other people what high-end audio equipment is, I try to be as non-mindful of my cost as possible so that others don't have to try as hard as I did to get the system desired.

I know that price is a factor. You can't pay for a $50 DAC chip with $10 or for the design of a great analogue circuit with a spool of wire and a pat on the back at the end for a job well done.

It is certainly true that certain pieces of audio equipment will likely be appreciated as top-of-the-line by a large number of audiophiles even without knowledge of price, manufacturer, or others' thoughts on the items. But when you start making lists that classify what's on the higher end of the spectrum and what doesn't catch this gravy train that's "moving and moving," you add a facet of objectivity which really isn't there. No matter how hard somebody argues to me that Radiohead is inventive, creative, and simply amazing, I'll still say that it's a bunch of pretentious crap -- in my opinion. Because it's still my opinion.

Once you get to the point where the frequency range and timing is presented relatively honestly it all becomes subjectivity as to what's on the high end. Realize that Stereophile wants you to think otherwise because it earns them money. Lots of it.

Quote:

I know your standard of Hi-End is different from mine. But thinking HD600's are Hi-End equipment is either (1) fooling youslef or (2) your Hi-End standard is very low IMHO. Of course there's a third chance that your standard is higher than mine and HD600's belong to you Hi-End standard, which is perfectly fine for me. And I should be happy for you because you've found what you're looking for.

There is no "Hi-End" standard -- not that we know of, anyway. If we were to have someone who is unbiased and receiving money from a disinterested third party bring together a group of people with similar musical tastes and who have good hearing (oops, another standard to observe), maybe we could build brackets based on this status quo, perhaps even a good old-fashioned indifference curve. But this isn't what Stereophile -- or you, for that matter -- have done. Just let other people decide what is high-end for them and let it stay that way.

And to bring us back to the wonderful point that I think Jude made, to define the only standards that our hearing will allow us to create that may transcend, to a degree, the subjectivity of musical taste, we should only really compare equipment based on specific aspects of the sound. Wideness of soundstage, realism of image, the frequency spectrum, and perhaps PRAT (which is itself venturing into the extremely subjective). Beyond that, there's no real need for someone without money to earn and who respects his audience to tell someone else that his High End, his Holy Grail of sound, his audio Mecca, is not valid. Because people have nothing to rely on except their own perception of utility.

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 110
I think people should listen equipment for at least a few months before they said this is the final answer of not.

We all got used to a certain kind of sound and it's hard to change in a few minutes or hours or even days.

We may fall in love with a girl at the first sight. (I think there are not that many girls here) But it'll take us some time to answer the final answer "yes".

Of course when she is someone like Laetita Casta, the final answer should be said very quick.

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #41 of 110
So I'm not truely a real audiophile, I just like to enjoy the sound, not indulge in the technical achievments of my equipment and what it's rated by stereophile.
rolleyes.gif
My standards of hi-fi are not very high, but I DO know what hi-fi sounds like.

I look at reproduced sound differently than I do live sound. No matter how "high end" a system may be, it'll never be the real thing. I enjoy reproduced music not from an accuracy point of view, rather what sounds good to me. I care about tone, not minute ambient details, a little bit of noise doesn't bother me, and I actually like certain coloration effects. All that transparent n airy goodness is not for me.
Don't tell me the HD600 are not capable of reproducing sound to an "audiophile" level of performance, because they are more than capable of doing so, they just demand good associated equipment. Listen to it with a hi-fi front end and some top notch amplification and if you still feel the same way, well, we all have our ignorances.

I've never really liked any Sony products, and just because it costs a whole lot doesn't mean I'd like the R10. It's been said before, and it'll continue to be said, "it's all a subjective matter, we all have different tastes". I'd like to add that nobodys tastes/preferences are bad and/or wrong, just doesn't agree with everyone elses.

Well, you might think that I have bad taste, and no one is going to blame you for that, it makes no difference to me.

But... who knows? Set up a listening room with Sennheiser HD600 coupled with Cary CAD-300SEI, Sennheiser Orpheus, Stax Omega II, AT W2002 w/ it's matching amp, Top of the line Grados, Sony MDR-R10, Audiovavle RKV mkII, and Melos SHA-Gold for me to do a comparison... I still think I'd enjoy the Senn + Cary the most.
smily_headphones1.gif
After all, it IS all about what sounds best to YOU isn't it?

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #42 of 110
Wow, this is getting weird.

I still agree with PC Corp. I agree more with his definition of "high-end". I agree that most folks here are college students and the HD600 is their first experience with something pretty good sound-wise. I understand your excitement about them.

When I bought my pair of HD580s back in the early 90s, $250 was a lot of money to me-- I was in college. It was also much better than the crummy bookshelf speakers I had at the time, so I was pretty happy.

Compared to what I had heard at the time (I had never even set foot in a high-end shop), they seemed pretty hi fi to me.

Again, R10 is in another class and I think that even the average guy off the street could tell the difference between them and HD600.

I know its hard to believe that there are things better than the HD600 and ER4S, but there are.

DanG wrote:
"Vert said that the CD3000 was close to the R10 when he was using mediocre amplification (it was the old MOH, not the new one, right? ) and a poor source (Denon DCM-370). Perhaps it's the kind of music used -- I know that I find my system is much better than it needs to be to play rock music (no, I don't listen to pop so I can't comment) but it can always be better with classical."

We also have to bear in mind that Vertigo has hearing damage. He also likes a very specific kind of sound that I'm not sure would qualify in my book as "hi-fi". I hate to sound like I'm knocking poor Vertigo, i think he's a fine upstanding chap. But some of his comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry, buddy!

"Maybe the R10 really needs great amplification to shine. I don't know if the Melos SHA-1 counts as great amplification (though I personally find it comparable to the Holmes-Powell DCT-1). But in any case, it's something to get when the rest of your system is finished. You don't need to wait that long with the HD600. "

The R10 is incredibly transparent and makes changes in upstream components VERY noticeable. R10 can give you back as much as you put into them. Perhaps Vertigo's amps and sources were not up to letting the R10's true colors shine over the CD3000 which is a fantastic headphone IMO, better by a good margin than HD600.

MacDEF wrote:
"Then, with all due respect, it's hard to understand where you're coming from. That's like driving your Wilson Grand Slams with the speaker-out jack on a Sony boombox. I'm sure if I heard that setup I'd think "these expensive speakers sure don't sound like high-end equipment. "

Are you SERIOUSLY comparing the HD600 to Wilson Grand Slams? That's quite a stretch don't you think? Ain't no headphone amp (not even Blockhead) that could make the HD600 better than the Wilsons.

BTW, MacDEF, if we get together, you can come too!
wink.gif
You may come away thinking less of your HD600s though.

AdamP88 wrote:
"Wait, you've never heard the 580's with good equipment, and yet you can say that they aren't hi-fi equipment?"

Well I have. And I say they're not "hi-fi".

shivohum,
What can you say to people who prefer the fake Grado sound over the R10? Ain't no way anyone could convince me that the crappy Grado sound is "hi-fi" or "audiophile quality". If the Grado sound is your standard for good headphone sound, there's no way you'd appreciate an instrument like the R10, plain and simple.

markl

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #43 of 110
Quote:

Speakers: Avantgarde Trio

This is the minimum I would accept as a Hi-End system

Hi-End is Hi-End. According to my standard, both AKG and Senn I have fail to reach that standard.

Did you mean Hi-End, or Hi-Spend?
tongue.gif

Say no more. Trio speakers are almost $40,000/pair... which couldn't possibly be called "Hi-End" by Sushmie Farrah Abdullah, owner of a Kharma Grand Reference at $1,000,000/pair. "Phew, I speeeet on your plastic horns!".

Once audio speakers start costing more than a BMW, relativistic performance arguments go out the window. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were a billionaire... but unless I get there, I don't care about the bazillion-dollar systems. Ordinary people will think you are insane, irresponsible, and won't hear the difference anyway, and your fellow audiophiles may respect the power of your system but may rather spend the dough on repeated trips to Ibiza or possibly helping to build a new community center in their neighborhood.

AKG and HD600's not audiophile gear? Please. From a financial perspective, no. From a performance perspective, particularly a price/performance one, they are.

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #44 of 110
Aha! I'm Mr. Tuberrific now, aye?

You've inspired me to create something. I'm going to pay an artist to render me like Tony the Tiger on the front of a cereal box of Tube Flakes.

When it's done, I'll post it as my new icon.

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #45 of 110
Quote:

shivohum,
What can you say to people who prefer the fake Grado sound over the R10? Ain't no way anyone could convince me that the crappy Grado sound is "hi-fi" or "audiophile quality". If the Grado sound is your standard for good headphone sound, there's no way you'd appreciate an instrument like the R10, plain and simple.

Even if you don't like the RS-1, I'm guessing you haven't heard the HP-1, since the HP-1 sounds considerably different -- more neutral & detailed, with superb soundstage depth & layering -- than the other Grados I've heard.

This is not to mention that Darth Nut's reference is the Omega II, no "mere" Grado
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sorry, but I think Darth's as perceptive and thoughtful a listener as I've seen post anywhere on these forums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back