HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:
You two should get together and see who made the better choice \.

That's going to be down to such a huge personal preference thing. I love treble, so I got the DT880s. In fact I don't even consider warmth a positive trait :p (I don't consider it a negative either, though, just a different take)

The maddogs, on the other hand, are very, very warm.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #79 of 106
Quote:
Fiio E09K should work. Other good alternatives are the Objective2/Magni as well. Aune T1 if you're interested in tubes. There's a GiantFall deal going on still I think.
wink.gif

All SS amps are pretty much equal right? They won't accentuate certain spectrums of the sound, right?

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #80 of 106
All SS amps are pretty much equal right? They won't accentuate certain spectrums of the sound, right?

No, some will color certain spectrums. Some are bright, some are warm, etc. Depends on what you want from a sound signature as well as the hps that you have. An example would be the Mad Dogs. They're considered warm and so pairing with a bright amp would be a good synergy. If you like the warmth you can get something that's more neutral so all it does is gain your source. If you found it bright you can pair it with a warm/dark amp, etc. I think the E09K is almost neutral/slightly warm. Magni is bright. O2 is considered neutral. T1 amp portion is bright but you can change the overall signature with tubes but most of them are warmish.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #81 of 106
Quote:
No, some will color certain spectrums. Some are bright, some are warm, etc. Depends on what you want from a sound signature as well as the hps that you have. An example would be the Mad Dogs. They're considered warm and so pairing with a bright amp would be a good synergy. If you like the warmth you can get something that's more neutral so all it does is gain your source. If you found it bright you can pair it with a warm/dark amp, etc. I think the E09K is almost neutral/slightly warm. Magni is bright. O2 is considered neutral. T1 amp portion is bright but you can change the overall signature with tubes but most of them are warmish.

Interested in the Schiit Magni, can get it here for 119 euros wich seems to be a fine deal for me.

But is it gonna mess with the Maddog's sound signature, I've seen someone say that it makes the treble harsher? To what extent?

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #82 of 106
Interested in the Schiit Magni, can get it here for 119 euros wich seems to be a fine deal for me.

But is it gonna mess with the Maddog's soundstage, I've seen someone say that it makes the treble harsher? To what extent?

That I wouldn't know. I don't have experience with either the hp or amp. I'm going to guess that maybe the Magni is bright to the point where the treble is sibilant or maybe grainy/artificial sounding. But not positive about that. I think that since the Mad Dogs are pretty efficient hps, I would say you try them with your source first and then see what you want to change about it if any before springing for something.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #83 of 106
I would believe it would make it better, because the mad dogs have a very laidback treble presentation, and so the magni should make it a little brighter and stronger up there.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #84 of 106
I would believe it would make it better, because the mad dogs have a very laidback treble presentation, and so the magni should make it a little brighter and stronger up there.

For you, yes. Because you love treble. Others... not so much. There's plenty of people on here that'll find the DT880s too bright and harsh. Or boring and analytical. But others will love it, me included. Heck, I started off as a basshead. :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #85 of 106
Quote:
For you, yes. Because you love treble. Others... not so much. There's plenty of people on here that'll find the DT880s too bright and harsh. Or boring and analytical. But others will love it, me included. Heck, I started off as a basshead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it really impact the sound signature that much? Are there graphs available or something?

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #86 of 106
Well whoever wrote that is dumb. All I listen to on the HD 580/600/650's is rock an electronic and they're amazing. 

I don't think many people take Grado seriously any more. They are only for people who like insanely bright/inaccurate sound. 

Certainly avoid the modified T50RP's as they are very boring and not as detailed compared to the Senns. 

AKG's are also really boring because of severe lack of dynamics.

So you find the HD600/650s well suited for electronic music? I am looking to get a pair but I mainly listen to electronic music. The amp I would be using is the Objective 2. Do you (or anyone else) think the HD600s paired with the O2 would be suited for electronic music?

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #87 of 106
Does it really impact the sound signature that much? Are there graphs available or something?

Do you mean does the amp change the sound signature that much? Not really. The change is typically minor but some people are just that sensitive to that change where a db or two in the wrong area, especially treble, can ruin things.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #88 of 106
Quote:
So you find the HD600/650s well suited for electronic music? I am looking to get a pair but I mainly listen to electronic music. The amp I would be using is the Objective 2. Do you (or anyone else) think the HD600s paired with the O2 would be suited for electronic music?

I listened to some last week and holy crap, can the HD600s play Electronic. It was insane!

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #90 of 106
Back to the original question, depending on what subgenre of rock/metal, for slower but weightier stuff like Opeth, My Dying Bride, Katatonia I prefer darker sound and better instrument separation (Opeth sounded awesome on the HD600 back when I still had them). For faster, more trebly music like power/symphonic/alternative metal/rock I tend to reach for Grado more often. Either way, if metal is your main thing, the HD600/650 will serve just right. If you prefer lighter stuff, Grado is probably better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back