HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #46 of 106
Yeah, DavidMahler said this on the HD650: "However, whereas the HD650 carries the impact of a boxing glove jab, the RS2 feels more like a raw closed-fist punch to the face."

This would be your experience also?

Mahler's review was the reason I tried the 880s, I think his reviews and impressions are pretty spot on.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #47 of 106
I owned the DT880/250 for a while.

I wouldn't really recommend them for metal/rock, due to their more recessed midrange. It took away the visceral crunch that I love to hear from the distortion guitars, and snare impact isn't completely there. Poorly recorded tracks (too many in these genres) also don't mesh well with the DT880's emphasized treble.

The HD600 doesn't quite have enough sub-bass or treble to make these genres shine either.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #48 of 106
Quote:
I owned the DT880/250 for a while.

I wouldn't really recommend them for metal/rock, due to their more recessed midrange. It took away the visceral crunch that I love to hear from the distortion guitars, and snare impact isn't completely there. Poorly recorded tracks (too many in these genres) also don't mesh well with the DT880's emphasized treble.

The HD600 doesn't quite have enough sub-bass or treble to make these genres shine either.

So by that reasoning Grado's would be bad for metal/rock because they have a too forward midrange?

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #49 of 106
Quote:
So by that reasoning Grado's would be bad for metal/rock because they have a too forward midrange?

For me it's not the midrange, I wouldn't exactly call that "forward", rather the treble is too spikey and painful for recordings with a "hot" treble, and the bass is severely lacking in pretty much every Grado can out there.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #50 of 106
Quote:

That's not what I'm saying at all. I've never listened to a Grado, so I wouldn't be qualified to judge it. 

It's not that the HD600 mids are too forward, it's that the overall signature is a tad too laid back to give justice to the genres that call for aggression. I have my iems when I want to rock out.

If you're not totally opposed to in-ears, I'd like to suggest the Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition. I listen to a good bit of rock and metal, and it does justice to those genres unlike anything else I've heard. Drums and guitars are astounding on it, and the crunch of the distortion guitar sounds like it's being amped by the IEM's diaphragm. Also, it has great bass. I've yet to hear it sound bad with any single genre. Give it a try. You an get a pair for about $150, but it compares well with other in ears costing up to $1,000.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection-added-mkii-vs-bass-edition-24-03

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #51 of 106
Quote:

That's not what I'm saying at all. I've never listened to a Grado, so I wouldn't be qualified to judge it. 

It's not that the HD600 mids are too forward, it's that the overall signature is a tad too laid back to give justice to the genres that call for aggression. I have my iems when I want to rock out.

If you're not totally opposed to in-ears, I'd like to suggest the Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition. I listen to a good bit of rock and metal, and it does justice to those genres unlike anything else I've heard. Drums and guitars are astounding on it, and the crunch of the distortion guitar sounds like it's being amped by the IEM's diaphragm. Also, it has great bass. I've yet to hear it sound bad with any single genre. Give it a try. You an get a pair for about $150, but it compares well with other in ears costing up to $1,000.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection-added-mkii-vs-bass-edition-24-03

So you think there isn't any good all-round headphone that does metal/rock well, for a reasonable price?

I'm totally opposed to in-ears btw.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #52 of 106
Quote:
So you think there isn't any good all-round headphone that does metal/rock well, for a reasonable price?

I'm totally opposed to in-ears btw.

Never said that. My full-sized HP experience is limited to the HD600, DT880, and HE-500. I wouldn't particularly recommend any of them for the genre you want.

May 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #53 of 106
Never said that. My full-sized HP experience is limited to the HD600, DT880, and HE-500. I wouldn't particularly recommend any of them for the genre you want.

Well, I tried searching for the GR07 IEM's but they are nowhere to be found here in the Netherlands, I'm not willing to buy from ebay because that would mean I can't return it to the retailer if there would be something wrong with it.

Since I certainly don't want my metal/rock to sound bad because of bad mastering, the HD600 and DT880 probably will provide an experience that's not what I'm looking for. Maybe the HD650 is my best bet but I dislike it's plastic construction and the fact that some people find it boring with metal/rock scares me away from this one.

I also looked some more on Head-Fi and found that either the AD700(x) or AD900(x) might be good choices for metal/rock and I would like to hear the opinions of head-fiers on this choice for this genre. DavidMahler (Most credible source here on Head-Fi?) said he liked his AD900 with a tube amp for metal. But I'm not gonna base my purchase on one man's standpoint.

I've also read the HD25-1 mark II might be good choice but I'd rather avoid on-ear headphones since I really just want a full-sized headphone that can be used for many purposes and not fall short in metal/rock.

(Please note that I do not[/U ] at all listen to any form of extreme metal, so keep that in mind when making future recommendations)

May 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #54 of 106
I want to use this thread too to ask whether or not the Sennheiser Momentum headphones would be good for rock and metal. I'm a huge metalhead, have been for years. I listen to loads of death metal, black metal, thrash metal, doom metal, etc. I'm looking for an on the go headphones and I've narrowed it down to the V-Moda M100 and the Sennheiser Momentum, but I'm open to other suggestions for portable headphones. I want the very best sound quality and I get the impression that the Sennheiser Momentum is over priced and the V-Moda is a bass head can for mainstream music, which wouldn't be as good for metal. Any metalheads here that can give me suggestions of the best portable all-around use can?

May 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #55 of 106
Quote:
I've also read the HD25-1 mark II might be good choice but I'd rather avoid on-ear headphones since I really just want a full-sized headphone that can be used for many purposes and not fall short in metal/rock.

I would advise against it and I'm mainly a metalhead. The on ear aspect was particularly painful for me after only a couple hours. If you listen to metal like black metal which has lots of treble, the treble is so bright it veils the mid section, and it sounds pretty bad. I think they're more for just rock. I'd advise against it.

May 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #56 of 106
I would advise against it and I'm mainly a metalhead. The on ear aspect was particularly painful for me after only a couple hours. If you listen to metal like black metal which has lots of treble, the treble is so bright it veils the mid section, and it sounds pretty bad. I think they're more for just rock. I'd advise against it.

Well, the difference between me and you is that you listen to more aggresive metal, and head-fiers will probably 9/10 times recommend you a grado.

Whereas I can probably find a better headphone for my headphone usage.

May 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #58 of 106
Since I last posted, I picked up a pair of hd600s. they're nice but I still like the dt880s more. I do a little bit of everything genre wise and I really dig bluesy rock on them

May 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #59 of 106
Since I last posted, I picked up a pair of hd600s. they're nice but I still like the dt880s more. I do a little bit of everything genre wise and I really dig bluesy rock on them

You don't find the DT880's overbearing with poorly mastered metal/rock recordings?

Would a tube amp possibly help with that or does a tube amp not alter the sound much at all?

May 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 106
The problem with looking for forum opinions on which of those headphones is best for those genres of music, is that it is all subjective.

I use my DT880 with just about any genre of music and recordings of varying quality (from youtube videos and MP3 to lossless and a few High res tracks). I find the 880s perform well with all genres. 

Further I don't use a tube amp or even a warm amp. However, I'm sure some other forum members would hear my setup and claim it is 'unlistenable'. So unfortunately, in the end you either have to audition the different options or take a chance and buy one blind (preferably from somewhere with a good return policy). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back