HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 106
Quote:
I can only speak for the DT880s, the only ones that I have/tried. My experience with metal is limited but I do listen to rock and rock is good on the 880s, especially blues-y /jazz kind of rock like Black Keys. I tried listening to some metal on Spotify and it's pretty iffy for me. Some were good, some not so. It depended on the recording. An example would be Metallia self-titled album, for all those tracks, the mids were waaaaay recessed and sounded bad but Loaded was good. The mastering really makes a diff with the 880s. Hope you found this semi-useful. good luck with the search!

Just wondering if you draw any conclusions about the accuracy of the DT880 from that?

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 106
In a brief listen I found the 880's had weird little thing in midrange I couldn't come to terms with, wasn't quite right for me. The Black album on DVD-A is actually pretty good

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 106
I am using a Grado SR225 with a Schiit Asgard amp. Grados are much happier with a low impedence output amp. They sound shrill from poorly powered sources (eg stock computer headphone jack). Granted, I use a slight EQ for bass boost and treble decrease, but I think they are killer for metal. I listen primarily to aggressive metal and random electronic music. If you have an amp suited for low impedence headphone, I recommend the Grados.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 106
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Head-Fiers,

I'm looking for an all-round headphone that will see use in music, movies and gaming.

I was previously considering a DT880 paired with a tube amp but now I've read that headphones like the DT880, HD600 and HD650 are only good for classical and jazz, and are not in the slightest suited for rock/metal.

I know that for rock/metal most head-fiers will recommend me a pair of Grado headphones, but I'm afraid of discomfort and too much colored sound. I surely want to use the headphones for other genres besides rock/metal but I don't want them to suffer on rock/metal either.

I read that the Mad Dog sounds alot like the Audeze LCD-2 and that the Audeze handles rock pretty well.

So my question is: "What would be the best all-round headphone that doesn't suffer at rock/metal, from the ones listed above?"

Certainly avoid the modified T50RP's as they are very boring and not as detailed compared to the Senns. 

I can only speak to the HD600 and Mad Dog, but I actually sold my HD600 after getting the Mad Dogs. I thought the MD was much more detailed in the treble region than my HD600 even though it was more laid back.
Personally I'd go with the Mad Dog because of the better detail, and the bass is also a lot more textured and detailed than the HD600. The MDs definitely don't have a sound signature that wows you as soon as you put them on; you need to wait a few hours or even a few days for that to happen. But ever since then, I have been enjoying the hell out of mine. Plus Mrspeakers has a no questions asked 15 day return period and excellent customer service. So if you don't like them, returns should be easy.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #22 of 106
Quote:
what do you mean?

What you seem to be saying is that the headphone sounds different depending on the recording. To me that would indicate an accurate headphone, whereas one that sounded pretty much the same no matter what the recording, even if it always sounded good, would most likely be adding colouration. I just wondered if you'd considered that.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 106
Quote:
I was previously considering a DT880 paired with a tube amp but now I've read that headphones like the DT880, HD600 and HD650 are only good for classical and jazz, and are not in the slightest suited for rock/metal.

I read that the Mad Dog sounds alot like the Audeze LCD-2 and that the Audeze handles rock pretty well.

This post should probably be made a sticky somewhere, not at all to ridicule quarrymen but as an illustration of, on the one hand, the dangers of taking opinions for facts, and on the other, the responsibility of those who give those opinions to make certain the reader realizes that his or her experience may be entirely different depending on ancilliaries, taste and ear shape (and a couple of hundred other variables).

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #24 of 106
What you seem to be saying is that the headphone sounds different depending on the recording. To me that would indicate an accurate headphone, whereas one that sounded pretty much the same no matter what the recording, even if it always sounded good, would most likely be adding colouration. I just wondered if you'd considered that.

Ahh, ok. Yeah, I would say that the dt880s are an accurate set of hps. They're detailed and slightly neutral. the biggest flaws in my opinion is the slightly recessed mids. I love everything else about the dt880s

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #25 of 106
Quote:
I would consider both the DT880 and HD600 excellent choices for any genre of music, they're close to neutral so they do everything well.

Quote:
This post should probably be made a sticky somewhere, not at all to ridicule quarrymen but as an illustration of, on the one hand, the dangers of taking opinions for facts, and on the other, the responsibility of those who give those opinions to make certain the reader realizes that his or her experience may be entirely different depending on ancilliaries, taste and ear shape (and a couple of hundred other variables).

Nah, people just have selective hearing, or reading in this case. Over analysis, inundated information and an overwhelming number of decisions all lead to this. Which is why, and I say again, the OP will be happy with any of the whittled down number of phones set forth.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #26 of 106
So there's nobody that tried them all with metal/rock and can give a comparison?

Right now my preference goes to the DT880 because of comfort, build quality and the fact that I don't have to import them from America to Europe (Maddogs).

I will pair the DT880/600 ohm with a good tube amp of course.

But if the HD600/650 and Maddogs sound significantly better with rock/metal then I will reconsider.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 106
No, the 650s at least (haven't heard Maddogs) will not sound significantly better. The DT880 is a very safe choice, but don't restrict yourself to the 600 ohm. The 250 ohm on most amps will sound as good and is more versatile (and probably cheaper).

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #29 of 106
I think graphic said it best in that you can't go wrong with any of those choices. They all resell well here in the for sale threads so if you find that it's not for you, sell and buy another.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #30 of 106
So after reading through this thread again I'm really getting confused.

The HD650 and Maddogs are known for being really laid back HP's while the HD600 and DT880 are livelier.

Generally speaking smooth and laidback don't do metal/rock well, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back