HD600 or HD650
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #46 of 55

Quote:
I'm sure he meant 300 ohm. 
bigsmile_face.gif

One has 300 ohm and the other has 300 ohm. That gives 600 ohm in total, so he was correct.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #47 of 55

Quote:
From what I've read:

HD650: More impact in the low end. Slightly warmer midrange and less soundtage.
HD600: Wider soundstage, slightly more treble emphasis with less bass. 

It's been argued before that soundstage perception and bass response are closely inter related.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #48 of 55

Quote:
It's been argued before that soundstage perception and bass response are closely inter related.

Lol as I have read many opinions stating that treble presence is responsible for soundstage, ie the HD800 with arguably the most extended treble and the biggest soundstage, not a coincidence IMHO.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 55
HD600: less bass, less erratic treble response, flatter response.
HD650: slightly less harmonic distortion.

Everything else is the same.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #51 of 55

Quote:
Erratic treble response, eh? That's a new one.

x2. It's difficult to judge something that doesn't exist. Higher treble in the HD650's in this case. The lower treble is colored, at least with the stock cable.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #52 of 55
I really like my hd600 although i have not heard the 650. I dont feel i need anything that the 650 is touted to have. I would recommend the little dot 1+ amp, there are dozens of tube and op amp rolling options. the ef92 tube with the burr brown 2107 is particularly good
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #53 of 55
It's at this point in a thread where a frequency graph is called for:

In actual non-subjective terms the differences besides the well documented increase in bass/midbass/lower mids of the HD650 is a peak around 3-4k on the 600 and a bigger dip at 5-6k for the 650 (although the 600 still has one).

I'm no expert so stand ready to be shot down on this but the differences between those two dips should be barely audible, although the 600s peak at 3-4k would definitely register, as would the across the board volume increase in the lower frequencies the HD650 displays. (And it certainly does).

Headroom's graphs don't always seem to make sense with what I know of the phones from listening, but in this case it does seem quite lined up to reality.

Does that spike equal erratic treble? Not from my listening (which is quite limited with the HD600) but maybe if the poster has a lot of tracks with elements that hit that peak on the nose then possibly.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #54 of 55

Quote:

I'm no expert so stand ready to be shot down on this but the differences between those two dips should be barely audible, although the 600s peak at 3-4k would definitely register, as would the across the board volume increase in the lower frequencies the HD650 displays. (And it certainly does).

Absolutely. I'm no fan of the 600 and I believe that's the reason--that 3-4k peak is right where the ear is most sensitive and tends to affect massed strings on classical very audibly (as a classical fan that rules it out for me). You're right also about the 650s warmer sound from the raised lower frequencies. The 650 is to me a more natural sounding phone but at the same time less etched, less detailed, probably a bit vague next to the 600 but not at all in isolation. And of course an aftermarket cable helps the vagueness if it's the right one, as does a bright, crisp amp. As always it comes back to synergy .    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back